Did the teachers react well to your aspergers/autism

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NaomiDB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jan 2012, 3:41 pm

Did they give you all the support you needed?
sadly mine did not, they went as far as to try and take the money I was awarded for tutors when it was decided school was too stressful for me and I was given a statement of special needs, they tried to take most of it, then lump me off with an unqualified teaching assistant who wouldn't visit me at home.
luckily my mum caught them out :P

Diamorphine
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jan 2012, 3:47 pm

I was the kid who never did any work but still passed the class because I got A's on tests. Some teachers loved it because I was quiet, some teachers hated me with a burning passion for not doing their work.

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jan 2012, 3:56 pm

NaomiDB wrote:
Did they give you all the support you needed?
sadly mine did not, they went as far as to try and take the money I was awarded for tutors when it was decided school was too stressful for me and I was given a statement of special needs, they tried to take most of it, then lump me off with an unqualified teaching assistant who wouldn't visit me at home.
luckily my mum caught them out :P

I had a terrible time with teachers and my parents alike; AS wasn't a diagnostic classification at that time. I was born gifted, and didn't perform to their expectations; they thought I was just lazy. If truth be told, school bored me to tears. I passed, but barely. I spent all my time reading other stuff while the teachers would drone on...

Last edited by Dunnyveg on 05 Jan 2012, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2012, 5:06 pm

My grade school teachers provided for me a special education plan that helped me get through grade school during the ages before I was old enough to develop coping mechanisms on my own. I did not have a diagnosis of any disorders as a child, so I am grateful that my teachers went out of their way to provide this plan for me.

I had serious problems making the transition from grade school to junior high, but my junior high teachers noticed my problems in seventh grade and provided support for me in eighth grade, again without a diagnosis of any disorders.

By high school, I was old enough to have developed coping mechanisms, so I did not require support from my high school teachers.

In general, my educational experiences were positive, even though autism was unknown to my teachers during the '80s and '90s.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 2:32 am

Diamorphine wrote:
I was the kid who never did any work but still passed the class because I got A's on tests. Some teachers loved it because I was quiet, some teachers hated me with a burning passion for not doing their work.

Same here. High school was funny, I kept skipping classes and getting expelled on purpose , having hysterical laughing fits (teenagers....), and not doing any homework, and i was first of my class.
First day of primary school, I got slapped because I could read and was following the story on the book while the teacher read it to us. She came to my desk as I wasn't really taking my eyes off the book, I thought if I ignored her she'd forget about me and keep on reading (the story was interesting) , she said "you're not listening to the story!" I said " I'm not looking at you , it doesn't mean I can't hear you", and she slapped me.
My mother went to the school to talk to her and told her that if her holiday period seemed too short and she was still tired, she should go back to the beach, teacher told her what I had said and that I was "impertinent", my mother said "I think what she said was very pertinent, don't ever touch my child again".
She likes to tell that story :lol:
After that I was just quiet for a few years though. The teachers were all different, but generally more understanding than that first lady.

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

06 Jan 2012, 11:50 am

When I was younger, I was one of those "mean autisitics". By which I mean I was very defensive and was quite mean to people around me, how I made any friends is beyond me. The teachers however did not recieve this behavior well only one person ever offered me help, sadly that wasn't really enough. When I moved however, I enrolled in an alternative school (yes like the ones for social outcasts and "special needs" students) and the teachers there were so helpful and receptive. I was top of that class all the time, that may not sound like much but that was a first for me in a long time (since kindergarten) it's all because I cared for the teachers and the people there, they ACTUALLY deserved the attention they were getting. I love talking about that school, it was one of the best experiences of my life with some of the best people I'd ever met. *rants for hours in my head about that school*

starryeyedvoyager
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 12:11 pm

Diamorphine wrote:

This is me, pretty much, most of the time, I was quiet outside of class, very active in class, and did not cause any trouble. Never got to "the wrong people" because I did not really get to any people.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 12:31 pm

Most of them were at least bearable, a few were very good, and only one was terrible.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 3:07 pm

My first grade and kindergarden teacher were saints but both had siblings with mental problems so they kinda knew what they were up against. The rest of them knew I had autism but aparently it didn't matter to them. My third grade teacher used me as a punching bag and whipping boy.

Map12
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2012, 10:42 pm

The teachers never give me support. In fact they never even read my IEP which said that I was allowed to keep my hoodies on at all times.

I'm a girl

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 10:50 pm

I wasn't diagnosed until 16 so they did not know.

When I was a little kid I had many meltdowns at school. The teacher's suspended me for my meltdowns.
They thought I was a bad child with ADD.
I wish I was diagnosed at that time because they would be more understanding.
Most of the time I didn't know what they punished me for. I made many social mistakes and got punished for all of them.

Telling a child that they are a bad kid at a young age is terrible for self-esteem.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 5:44 am

Only the counselor knows.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 7:31 am

They hated me for it. They wanted me to be "normal".

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jan 2012, 7:43 am

My tutors know about it but I'm not sure they really understand what it is or how they can help me. There's a member of support staff in the class but they are there to help everybody with problems, like ADHD and dyslexia.

NZaspiegirl016
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2012, 4:08 am

I do well in school, apart from bullies. But, sadly, I have a teacher who uses my AS as an excuse to take the bully's side instead of mine. I'll tell her what happened, she talks to the bully, the bully says something like, "I didn't know" and then the teacher says to me "Oh, she didn't know, it was just a misunderstanding, you do that a lot, right?"

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2012, 4:33 pm

For my elementary school, I was in a private Christian school. Some teachers gave me trouble for being "weird" but some actually really appreciated it and basically were like "all the other kids are just not as smart as you, don't worry." I guess they considered me gifted, in some ways. Oddly, I think the worst teacher toward me was my kindergarten teacher, who constantly got on me for being weird, etc, at that young age. I think she was the most bitter of all the teachers there, really. And it was quite odd, I like, failed reading, almost. We'd read these like "dick and jane" kinda books, and by that age, I was capable of reading (but not always comprehending fully) novels, so I'd like, just read through the book in like literally 30 seconds, and she'd want me to sound out every single word and I just wasn't having it. But, in some of the other grades, the teachers were really kind to me and liked me.

Some teachers humiliated me in random misguided kinda ways, it was an especially legalistic Christian school, so we had to wear belts and collared shirts. I'd forget where my belt was, and I'd be late to school regardless, but I'd be even later if I looked for my belt, so I'd just not look. One of my teachers, to remind me to wear my belt, would make me wear a rainbow belt made of string, or a rope. Now, I can look back and see alot of my disorganization is due to my NVLD, but back then, very humiliated.

As far as high school, well, none really treated me like BADLY, by high school, I'd gotten an IEP of "depression and anxiety" (so stupid, ugh....) and high school and middle school were at public school, which was a hell of a transition in itself. The teachers seemed to like me, as I didn't really act up or anything, and I frankly knew a lot, but there was nothing they could do to....help my situation. Maybe a few gave that line of "you just need to apply yourself!" or "you're so smart!" and all that crap, but for the most part, high school teachers were reasonable to me, if apathetic. A few high school teachers, I got along with really well, like I had a shop teacher who was super cool, but he couldn't make it simply for the fact the kids at my school were idiots and would take advantage of him, so he got fired. AS wouldn't surprise me AT ALL for him, but yeah. It seemed mostly, the teachers that were the least charismatic that other students would find mean or whatever, I thought were just fine and they seemed to like me.