generative sociology, a pet paradigma

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

NinjaSquid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Mar 2011, 6:13 pm

If you no Chomsky you know his theory generative grammar, tha we are only able to learn or native idioms as fast as we do because there are simple rules on wich are the grammar is structured. This assumption makes me wonder if social skills and social competence are aquired similliar in neuro typical people if this is so there would be following questions to be answered.

1. first is there a posi9bility to formalise this rules in some kind of a formal social grammar to help people who are impared in there natural aquitance mechanism?

2. Do NT people have proplems that are compareable to AS while assimilating to foreign cultures, and if yes are people with AS maybe able to learn a foreign culture as well as NT people? How far is this similliar to language aquitance disorders(SLI)? Are there studies how well an SLI patient can learn say japanese, if only the native aquitance is influenced there should be less or none increased difficulty?

What do you think?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2011, 10:05 pm

If you ever want to see an NT have a "meltdown" put them in a vastly foreign culture that they had no intention or interest of ever being in.

Aspects of certain cultures vastly different from modern western culture or modern American culture.

In many Native American cultures, it was seen as rude to ask a stranger how they or various family members were.

The Himba women of Namibia don't bathe with water and find the act of using water to bathe highly offensive as water is to be used for drinking.

In many cultures, it's rude to look a superior in the eyes.

Many of the tribes of Papua New Guinea find it odd when visiting westerners want to sleep alone.

In some European cultures, it's seen as ok to leave young children home alone or outside in a stroller for a moment unattended, while in others, children are taken everywhere, even bars.

Americans smile excessively with respect to most cultures. In France, it's generally believed that if you are smiling, you have found something funny, or you are a fool.

In American culture, offering or accepting bribes is a serious breach of ethics and frequently against the law. In many other cultures, bribes are expected and an ordinary part of business transactions.

In Indian culture, it's incredibly rude to sit in a manner that shows the bottom of one's feet or shoes, or touch someone with one's feet. It's also considered rude or down right disgusting to eat with the left hand.

In certain parts of China, it's considered rude to cut your food at the table, or serve food that must be cut at the table.

In Japan, it's very inappropriate to blow one's nose in public, and public bathrooms generally do not supply toilet paper.

In many parts of China, it's acceptable for children to urinate in public.

In many northern European countries, the proper way to address someone in a position of authority, or a doctor, is by their first name.

In some northern European countries, it's rude to be even five minutes late to a meeting, while in some southern European countries, like Spain, meeting times are much more relaxed.

In Indian culture, it's often considered rude to tell someone "no", and instead, answers such as "maybe," "I'll try", or "We'll see", or "I'm sorry, I can't do that," are more appropriate.

There are also many other culture differences that aren't so easily articulated but can usually be observed from photos and such, and generally pertains to living standards and so on. For example, Americans have a large radius of personal space compared to many other cultures, and likewise, their houses are fairly spacious, whereas in many parts of China, dwellings tended to be small and clustered together. The two cultures generally organize their living space in very different ways.

In American culture, kitchens are inside and appliances are made of metal and so on. In many parts of the world, kitchens are more likely to be found outside, and the ovens and and cooking area may be earthen, even when inside and in a more modern dwelling.

In some tribal cultures, names are sacred and people do not go by their "real" name, whereas in others, a person may have multiple names and what they are called depends on who is addressing them.

I could go on.

NinjaSquid
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Mar 2011, 2:17 pm

Chronos wrote:
Americans smile excessively with respect to most cultures. In France, it's generally believed that if you are smiling, you have found something funny, or you are a fool.

Its not the only reason many Europeans think of Americans as foolish ....

But back to topic ...

Even the most hardcore Aspie learns the most of the big rules like dont piss on the streets quite fast the problems are the small rules like, wich kind of no verbal behavior implicates wich level of personal closeness ... go and hug some stranger on the street and watch the look on his face he knows some thing is wrong but he cant articulate .... its like some native speaker hearing bad grammar but cant articulate what is wrong .... i wonder if there is something like this in sociology ...

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 2:31 pm

NinjaSquid wrote:
Chronos wrote:

Its not the only reason many Europeans think of Americans as foolish ....

But back to topic ...

Even the most hardcore Aspie learns the most of the big rules like dont piss on the streets quite fast the problems are the small rules like, wich kind of no verbal behavior implicates wich level of personal closeness ... go and hug some stranger on the street and watch the look on his face he knows some thing is wrong but he cant articulate .... its like some native speaker hearing bad grammar but cant articulate what is wrong .... i wonder if there is something like this in sociology ...

If Apserger's is neurological, then someone with it will miss the small social cues unique to each culture. Even if eye contact with a superior is bad form in some cultures, this would not prevent an Aspie from inappropriate eye contact, such as excessive eye contact with a superior. We are known to stare.

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2011, 3:07 pm

OK I don't know the theory you are talking about, or even understand your words really, and I'm not going to pretend to ...

But I did have the opportunity to spend several months living in a very different culture to my own. Because people knew I was from a different culture, they were very patient with me teaching me things about "the way things work" that I have never been taught in my home culture and accepted me for exactly who I was - in a way that made me feel very comfortable and at home, even though my language skills were poor. Whether long term I would have been more successful at assimilating to that foreign culture than I have my own, I don't know - but in the short time I was there I felt more comfortable and accepted there than I have ever done in my home culture, and I would have loved to have stayed for longer. My husband, on the other hand, found it an extremely difficult experience because he couldn't communicate or "fit in" with the ease that he usually does.