Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Poke
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 12:30 pm

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say, "Evidence for Rainman's not being able to entertain that question is impossible to obtain, short of seeing his brain splattered all over the ground" or something like that?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 12:30 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Oh great so i am rainman then :roll:

No, because I never saw Rainman show any ability to ask whether he was a Rainman ... and you have asked.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Mar 2011, 12:31 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Oh great so i am rainman then :roll:

Well,

1) This seems doubtful

2) What is it that you're worried about?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 12:33 pm

Poke wrote:
Wouldn't it be more accurate to say, "Evidence for Rainman's not being able to entertain that question is impossible to obtain, short of seeing his brain splattered all over the ground" or something like that?

Rainman was a fictional character, and the writer/s of that script apparently either thought he could not entertain such a question or that he need not do so anyway ... but then that movie was really about what kind of question's Rainman's brother could entertain.

Last edited by leejosepho on 10 Mar 2011, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 12:34 pm

Look here is the clip from the film

today when i was eating breakfast with my brother he was acting similar to how tom cruises character behaved in this scene in the Diner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW1qHA5Hqwc

Okay maybe not completely like how tom cruises character behaved but he can be blunt and not start big conversatons with me SOMETIMES esspecially if we sit at the table by ourselves. he can talk to me like i am a child sometimes as well.

MEH maybe its is all in my head :D

wefunction
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 12:45 pm

Rainman wasn't very functional and he was savant. It is pretty common for brothers to tease each other, even to the point of it being hurtful or inappropriate. Based on the functional level portrayed by Dustin Hoffman in the movie, I do not think Rainman would be self-aware enough to discuss the relationship dynamic between him and his brother nor would he be able to articulate it through typing onto the internet with the understanding that there are countless numbers of people with access to his question and the ability to answer it. When calls you "rainman", call him a "jackwagon" and let the cycle of brotherly love be complete. That's all I can recommend.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 12:47 pm

Jamesy wrote:
... [my brother] can be blunt and not start big conversations with me SOMETIMES especially if we sit at the table by ourselves. he can talk to me like i am a child sometimes as well.

No, and just like Rainman's brother, your own brother (and just like mine) sometimes just does not understand.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 12:49 pm

I think it was poster lengixton, Xenu or I am batshitcrazy (one of those guys) last August on the film and televesion part of the site without even meeting me in person said "Jamesy is not the type of person we want associated with us becuase of how bad he makes aspergers look". :(

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Mar 2011, 12:50 pm

wefunction wrote:
Rainman wasn't very functional and he was savant. It is pretty common for brothers to tease each other, even to the point of it being hurtful or inappropriate. Based on the functional level portrayed by Dustin Hoffman in the movie, I do not think Rainman would be self-aware enough to discuss the relationship dynamic between him and his brother nor would he be able to articulate it through typing onto the internet with the understanding that there are countless numbers of people with access to his question and the ability to answer it. When calls you "rainman", call him a "jackwagon" and let the cycle of brotherly love be complete. That's all I can recommend.

How can you judge this?

I can think of one poster on this forum who said she actually behaves similarly to Rain Man, and she seems to do okay communicating self-awareness online. '

I'm probably getting caught up on the details of assumptions about functioning - I'm not arguing whether Jamesy actually acts like the character.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 12:54 pm

I know people a lot more different from the norm than Rain Man, and they can communicate online. This whole idea that certain "functional levels" (as defined by people watching from the outside, of course) mean lack of self-awareness doesn't compare well with reality.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 12:55 pm

Jamesy wrote:
I think it was poster ... on the film and television part of the site without even meeting me in person said "Jamesy is not the type of person we want associated with us because of how bad he makes aspergers look". :(

That would be sad, and such would be reprehensible.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 12:59 pm

Well its causing me a great deal of distress the idea that i behave like him :(

I mean come on would i really have NT friends if i behave like rainman even if they don't see that often?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:05 pm

anbuend wrote:
I know people a lot more different from the norm than Rain Man, and they can communicate online. This whole idea that certain "functional levels" (as defined by people watching from the outside, of course) mean lack of self-awareness doesn't compare well with reality.

I wanted to make this more general point but I got hung up on the Rain Man comparison.

Jamesy wrote:
Well its causing me a great deal of distress the idea that i behave like him :(

I mean come on would i really have NT friends if i behave like rainman even if they don't see that often?

I don't understand. Why wouldn't you have NT friends?

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:10 pm

OP, I think you may be taking a lot of autism-related stereotypes as true rather than questioning them... the things people take for granted about autism aren't necessarily the case.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:11 pm

If i acted as weird as rainman i wouldent have friends that are normal nor would i be able to go to a mainstream school and mix with normal kids either.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 1:13 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Look here is the clip from the film

today when i was eating breakfast with my brother he was acting similar to how tom cruises character behaved in this scene in the Diner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW1qHA5Hqwc

Okay maybe not completely like how tom cruises character behaved but he can be blunt and not start big conversatons with me SOMETIMES esspecially if we sit at the table by ourselves. he can talk to me like i am a child sometimes as well.

You are assuming that if your brother behaves like the Tom Cruise character, then it follows that you behave like the Rainman character. This is not a safe assumption. The Tom Cruise character in this clip shows irritation and bafflement towards Rainman. Your brother is also irritated and baffled by you. But irritation and bafflement are feelings that anyone can have about anyone.