Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 12:25 pm

Well, not exactly, but ...

There is an auditor in our building today. I believe he is a Sikh, based on the style of turban he wears. There is a part of my brain that keeps rehearsing all the offensive things that can be said about this man's ethnicity and religion - NONE of which I believe, but just all the crap that's been introduced into my brain via all the various sources that surround me. It's like this recording playing in my head that want's to blurt out all these inappropriate things. Thank god I've trained myself to keep my mouth shut.

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 12:32 pm

I hate when that kind of thing happens.

Dgosling
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2011, 1:41 pm

Same thing happens to me sometimes i just start thinking of random stuff to stop my brain

like all of a sudden a creeper [minecraft] explodes in front of me or something to distract me

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 1:44 pm

Me too.

I have also learned when to keep my mouth shut and when to say it. But it keeps going in my head until it's appropriate to say something about it. It took me until I was about 24 to develop this skill. It just came to me one day when I was watching Full House and seeing how little Stephanie blurts out things because she was missing out on the cues and the cat be out of the bag because she didn't know her family was trying to hide something and she was just naive to not see it because she was only six. So that taught me to keep my mouth shut in those kind of situations so if my husband says a lie on the phone, wait until he hangs up because there could be a reason why he was lying and I do not want to cause problems for him with my big mouth. I'll open my mouth when he hangs up.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 2:04 pm

Our culture feeds our minds through TV and other mediums with so much needless and conflicted information. Much of it stays with us for the course of our lifetime, and influences every conscious thought, whether we are aware of it or not.

I remember a Jamaican guy that insisted that he have nothing "evil" in his house along the lines of see no, hear no, and speak no evil. All I could think of was this guy must be afraid of voodoo. But, perhaps it was grounded in more wisdom than I could understand at the time.

We feed our bodies, but we also feed our minds with whatever environmental influence we come into contact with, whether it is what we see on TV or in the backyard. The impact can be felt, years down the road.

I think the way the AS mind works could make it more difficult to deal with as far as attention to detail and thoughts that persevere.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2011, 4:34 pm

Dgosling wrote:
Same thing happens to me sometimes i just start thinking of random stuff to stop my brain

like all of a sudden a creeper [minecraft] explodes in front of me or something to distract me

Heh heh. I hate creepers.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

04 May 2011, 4:41 pm

Mental static in an association-driven brain. I expect that, especially for little-oh-tangential me.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 7:28 am

ooh yes, this happens all the time to me too, and lets not start about the innuendo (all types) i always get when hearing/seeing things (rule 34 anyone?)
i too have learned to keep this internal, if i didn't, i'd be in jail 90% of the time :P

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 9:00 am

swbluto wrote:
Mental static in an association-driven brain.

Yeah. That's it. Sort of all these associations firing off trying to get priority.

takeapart
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 May 2011, 1:17 pm

It's like seeing a post on WP and not responding, going to sleep, waking up switching back on the PC and get the words down and out. :lol:

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 4:14 pm

I think this phenomenon appens to everyone, but few will ever admit it out of fear of being caled racist, although we arent intentionally trying to be.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2011, 4:16 pm

anneurysm wrote:
I think this phenomenon appens to everyone, but few will ever admit it out of fear of being caled racist, although we arent intentionally trying to be.

It wouldn't surprise me to find out it happens to most people. My problem is that the damn thoughts rattle around in the background demanding attention. Little fockers!