How would you determine if someone's an Aspie?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 4:24 pm

I think someone I know from church might be an Aspie. I want to know for sure but I don't think she knows enough English to read the DSM. And I absolutely do not want to make a big deal of what I am. And I absolutely do not want to go asking anybody, but ESPECIALLY not an NT or someone undiagnosed, "so, do you have this disorder?" because I bet they'd be offended.

And I'm really shy and uncertain, so I honestly don't know how to talk to her. But I won't be satisfied until I know. So... what would you do if you were me?

NOT A DOCTOR

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 5:11 pm

Forget about it and move along.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

13 Mar 2011, 5:25 pm

I'd ask if they'd been diagnosed.

There's way too much

"So and so doesn't make eye contact/is awkward/has obsessive interests! They must have Aspergers like me!"

going around these boards.

emuman100
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 7:00 pm

I think it's because some Aspies like to know they're not alone. I know my one friend is on the spectrum, and possibly someone where I work and also possibly someone I went to college with. I'm trying to figure out also if they too are on the spectrum.

My one friend from church I think is on the spectrum. He typically bugs people and many people say he's a pest. His social interaction isn't very awkward but it's different (he's 40, so he has a lot of life and social experience, despite his difficulty), he complains to me about anxiety, obsesses about the topic he's on, he can get very close and invades personal space. I haven't been able to figure out what are his interests, but he likes to write poetry, and is quite good at it.

The person I work with is a around my age. He's a nice person, he doesn't make too much eye contact, but it's hard to notice that he doesn't. He makes a little small talk, but frequently obsesses about whatever he's doing with his computer or network or something technology. Hard to get a word in when he's talking about that, and hard to get him to even slightly change the path of conversation. He doesn't invade personal space too much, but he's in your face.

The person I knew in college was definitely odd. He was around my age too. He was very very quiet, didn't use too much eye contact, dressed kind of goth, liked a kind of techno called "industrial", and seemed like he found it funny if a person were to get hurt. We took the same electronics program in college, and would occasionally talk, when we would talk, about creating devices to destroy things or hurt people. I remember once he was talking about getting a flasher from a camera, putting it at one end of a tube, having the unsuspecting user look into the other end, and seemed to get enjoyment out of the fact that it would temporary blind the unsuspecting user. He had a laptop and used it frequently, and once seemed to take great pleasure in the fact that he knew a girl on the internet who could create a virus that would use so much resources that it would cause the computer to burn up. I remember reading on his web site that he likes electronics, and remember reading somewhere he posted that he suffers from social anxiety disorder, which got me into reading about it and very aware of my mental state. He'd give me rides to college each day and would blast his techno music in the car. He was into goth girls too. He was one odd fellow, but I'm willing to bet he had AS too.

What all three of these people have in common is that they all give you the impression they are "different, weird, or odd". But these three people are all completely different from each other with completely different personalities and likes. These three people have some degree of a misunderstanding of social rules, and all have a different tone to their voice compared to neurotypicals. I'm not, nor mean to, judge these people in a negative way. Since interacting with someone on the spectrum is not a common occurrence to me, I like to try and figure these people out so I can learn something about not only them, but myself as well. I suppose my view of people is like a neurotypical's view, but I know that from my perspective, I don't see the oddness about myself, but others do.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 7:01 pm

I wouldn't. If I thought they might be and felt I was close enough to them I would ask. Beyond that, I'm not going to diagnose someone else.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 7:46 pm

It depends on what you are expecting from her. Do you just want to know if she has an ASD, or do you want to be a friend to her? If you do ask, she might take it the wrong way even if she has one. You can always try the diplomatic approach, something like, "I don't want to embarrass you, but have you ever been diagnosed with an ASD?" If you just want to know and don't care about potential friendship, it won't matter if she's a little offended and you can always reassure her you are not trying to be offensive, just wondering.
If you do want to be friends, you can seek her out at church and talk to her, act like you want to be around her. If she doesn't speak English, she might not know what ASD translates to, so keep that in mind.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 9:06 pm

I would wait for the person to tell me. There's no use prying.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 9:39 pm

Vivisection?

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 9:53 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Vivisection?

It's not polite to vivisect people. It's even less polite since I only really see her up in the choir loft during services, and her screams would probably be disruptive. It's rude to disrupt church services. Her blood would also stain the carpet. Staining the carpet is inconsiderate.

I recommend against vivisecting people.

NOT A DOCTOR

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 10:38 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Vivisection?

It's not polite to vivisect people. It's even less polite since I only really see her up in the choir loft during services, and her screams would probably be disruptive. It's rude to disrupt church services. Her blood would also stain the carpet. Staining the carpet is inconsiderate.

I recommend against vivisecting people.

Ah yes, those are good points.

Note to self: "Vivisecting people is rude and indecorous."