Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

17 Mar 2011, 10:49 pm

Does anyone have a music obsession where they can listen to the same song over and over like a billion times and still not get sick of it? Its been like that to me the whole last 4 months. I have no idea why =)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 11:17 pm

I have songs that I like to listen to over and over again.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2011, 11:23 pm

Yep, I listen to the same songs all day every day several times a day. ;)

Jediscraps
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 12:09 am

I do this all the time. I often stick with a few songs and play them over and over. I'll also have marching to the bus songs as well. I've listened to the same song for, I think, about 3 hours before. I don't do that normally that long. I think there's another thread on this site where people have said they've gone even longer.

emuman100
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 1:18 am

I think this falls under repetitive behavior. There was a song I really loved, Dying for an Angel by Avantasia, and I'd listen to it over and over in my car. I did this when I was young and still do it now.

rabbit90
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Mar 2011, 4:58 am

I have listened to the same song for a couple of hours. It is fairly normal for me to do that, I don't know the German word for it, but they have a word which literally translates to 'ear worm' and it means that it's a song that you can't get out of your head.

Generally when I play the same song over and over again, I have a very enjoyable ear worm that needs to just listen to the same song over and over and over etc etc until I am fully satisfied.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 6:40 am

Yes. I can also do mixing and mastering work on the same recording for hours and hours, without getting any urge to stop - unfortunately my perceptions of the music change when I've been hyperfocussing on it for that long, so I hear tiny changes as if they were huge, and I end up working away on details that nobody else would ever notice.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 7:04 am

My mental health and my overall mood has improved, since I've allowed myself to live in a time warp again. The Kinks and the 60s make me happier than I've ever been in my life. There are youths here who don't understand that there are some people who aren't meant to be 21st Century material and they're so hung up on the perfect life, that they forget that some people could actually be in a miserable state, living for today in the present. I was in a very miserable state, from the January of 2007 until I crashed in the July of 2009 and got myself addicted to energy drinks, because there was something in my life that was missing. I have almost up to 600 songs that I can listen to, over and over again, all by the same rock n roll band. Some of those songs I listen to more than the other songs. I really get into the stuff that was recorded between 1964 and 1984. The Mick Avory era. Take away that part of me and you take away my personality, and mental and emotional well being. The two songs that I can listen to over and over again were recorded in 1964. There's also one that was recorded in 1965 that I can do the same. I hated myself as somebody who was keeping with the times. I looked at myself in the mirror with my spiked green hair and I was calling myself a monster over, and over again. I love myself the way that I am today and I look at myself in the mirror and tell myself, "I love you. You're adorable." I will not let anybody take that away from me.

Mick

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 2:29 pm

What's funny is, I could hear a song over and over but when I sing it, I only remember one verse. Songs I can't stand I can usually remember better.

markko
Raven
Raven

18 Mar 2011, 2:33 pm

If you think about it, anyone with iPod earbuds in their ears 16 hours a day has an obsession with listening to the same songs over and over. I wouldn't know. I've never used an iPod.

Nathalie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Mar 2011, 3:00 pm

There has been research about this: if you don't like a certain song/music piece, but you listen to it over and over again, you'll end op loving it. When you listen to a song often you will learn to like it, there's nothing you can do about it.
This is because your brain likes everything that's familiar, so when it recognises the song.
It also works with certain music styles, the only reason people like or don't like a certain music style is because of their (lack off) experiance with it.
Try listening to a song you don't like, delete all other music from your mp3 player and only listen to that for a week or so. You'll end up liking the song (or at least hating it less, depending on your sensitivity for music)

Brains loves repetition, not only AS-brains

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 3:05 pm

I tend to listen to the same set of albums/songs I like, but I'm not so addictive with them as to listen to them many times over and over again. My mother likes to listen to only a couple of songs, and she really repeats them many times.

I indeed dislike commercial radio stations, that repeat the same set of bad contemporary songs over and over again. My ears get spillt over with them, and I hear all the bad notes I don't want to hear over and over again after one bad song is over for minutes. It's plain frustration to me. Some songs do not stop in my mind when I'm cycling for hours and listening to nothing. In that case I prefer to "hear" the better songs, so why am I supposed to stand offended by my colleagues without complaints listening to such radio stations on a weak-sounding radio unit at my workplace?

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 3:14 pm

Nathalie wrote:
There has been research about this: if you don't like a certain song/music piece, but you listen to it over and over again, you'll end op loving it. When you listen to a song often you will learn to like it, there's nothing you can do about it.
This is because your brain likes everything that's familiar, so when it recognises the song.
It also works with certain music styles, the only reason people like or don't like a certain music style is because of their (lack off) experiance with it.
Try listening to a song you don't like, delete all other music from your mp3 player and only listen to that for a week or so. You'll end up liking the song (or at least hating it less, depending on your sensitivity for music)

That has happened to me with a few songs I didn't use to like, but usually it just makes me hate a song worse and worse, haha. Forced familiarity doesn't comfort me; it just makes me feel like I'm living in a bad sitcom, or a Pepsi commercial, or... Hell.

TTRSage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2011, 3:16 pm

With me it is Mark Knopfler's song, "What It Is". On the day when I first heard it, I listened to that song at least 50 times before the day was over... about 8-10 times in each batch. Now I am on a kick of his song "Wild Theme" from the movie Local Hero as gentle (it isn't so wild), relaxing music to listen to just before bedtime. At least that worked and helped me get to sleep until the music became so familiar in my head that I could not get it out of my head while trying to drift off to sleep (the flip side of the coin). I also have a thing with certain movies and TV series and especially with the Star Trek Voyager series, which I have watched end to end 4 or 5 times over the last 5 years. Each time takes about 4 or 5 months and I am about due for another round of it soon.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 3:16 pm

seaweasel wrote:
Does anyone have a music obsession where they can listen to the same song over and over like a billion times and still not get sick of it? Its been like that to me the whole last 4 months. I have no idea why =)

Music is a huge part of my life. Always was :)
I do get obsessed with songs or music easily and then I listen to it excessively. There are some songs (music) that I never get sick of but after some time they don't bring the same rush they did in the beginning. Anyway I still enjoy listening to them :)

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2011, 3:17 pm

Nathalie wrote:

There are music styles and songs that I absoultely can not take a liking to. But there is music that I can accept after a while even when at first it sounds strange to me.