Have you been accused of interrupting a lot?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jul 2010, 7:44 pm

I used to think I was aware of most of my quirks, but I was surprised when, maybe a year or so ago, I was accused of frequently overriding what a friend what saying. I was really confused and couldn't think of when that could have ever happened. I asked for examples, but I didn't remember doing it. Since, I've tried to catch myself, and I find that I have the urge to butt in quite a lot. We talk about video games, which isn't something I can talk about with just anyone, so I feel like I have pent-up conversational energy that just wants to be blurted out whenever a thought is triggered.

It just really surprised me, because I was completely blind to this.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 7:50 pm

I have a horrible time with my timing when I speak. It's so hard just to get the words out at all... I either seem to get them out too early and talk over another person, or far too late and leave a big gap. Stupid processing delay.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 8:19 pm

DonDud wrote:
I used to think I was aware of most of my quirks, but I was surprised when, maybe a year or so ago, I was accused of frequently overriding what a friend what saying. I was really confused and couldn't think of when that could have ever happened. I asked for examples, but I didn't remember doing it. Since, I've tried to catch myself, and I find that I have the urge to butt in quite a lot. We talk about video games, which isn't something I can talk about with just anyone, so I feel like I have pent-up conversational energy that just wants to be blurted out whenever a thought is triggered.

It just really surprised me, because I was completely blind to this.

I do this too, apparently. Usually I'm asking a question about what they're saying, because I've already grasped what they're talking about without them having to finish, and I want to know as much as possible in the shortest possible time.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 8:22 pm

I do it a lot because I'm afraid if I don't get a thought out as soon as it comes to me, that I'll forget to mention it at all. Besides, if I let the other person go on too long, I lose interest in what they're saying and start tuning them out.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 9:36 pm

It's recently come to my attention that I do this, as well. It's hard not to interrupt sometimes.

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2010, 10:04 pm

KaiG wrote:
I do this too, apparently. Usually I'm asking a question about what they're saying, because I've already grasped what they're talking about without them having to finish, and I want to know as much as possible in the shortest possible time.

Yep, I do the same thing. It mostly happens when I'm on the phone, because in person I can usually tell now if a person is not done talking yet.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 10:08 pm

I'm also guilty of doing that, as well. I'm afraid, that if I don't say something right away, the subject will change, before I can get a word in, and it always does.

Epiphany
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jul 2010, 10:13 pm

This happens to me frequently as well, I'm not accused of interrupting but I frequently in social situations I see the glances that indicate I am, and am forced to stuff a sock in it so to speak. I find it my biggest personal road block to social interaction is the give and take of a conversation, especially in strange company, which is why I'm so quiet. I'm learning more how to get the center of attention as I want, however once I have it I bungle it rather than my true intent of getting my thoughts out.

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jul 2010, 10:26 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm also guilty of doing that, as well. I'm afraid, that if I don't say something right away, the subject will change, before I can get a word in, and it always does.

And then, after the conversation has moved on, if I thought of something that I really wanted to say but managed to not interrupt, I'm debating to myself whether this thought I spent the time to work out in my head is worth mentioning after the moment has passed, or if I should just let it die.

Prksrbrt
Raven
Raven

31 Jul 2010, 10:28 pm

I do this on an almost daily basis, especially at work. I also tend to walk up to my supervisor and go into talk mode even if he's talking to someone else, i never noticed it until about two weeks ago and since then have tried to catch myself.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 10:35 pm

I have a huge problem with this. I keep interrupting my professor who I am working with for my honours thesis with. I'm worried that he might find this intolerably irritating. I try and prep myself not to interrupt before I go to meet with him....but I inevitably do it anyways. I am really nervous during my meetings with him...and I interrupt most when I am nervous.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 10:52 pm

ALL TIME TIME. Espicaly as a kid.

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 10:55 pm

DonDud wrote:
And then, after the conversation has moved on, if I thought of something that I really wanted to say but managed to not interrupt, I'm debating to myself whether this thought I spent the time to work out in my head is worth mentioning after the moment has passed, or if I should just let it die.

I never interrupt someone in the middle of a sentence, because I used to do it so much as a child it was rammed into me that interrupting someone is extremely rude.
So now, what you described happens constantly. I keep thinking about those missed chances and can't keep track of where the conversation is going.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 12:00 am

Willard wrote:
I do it a lot because I'm afraid if I don't get a thought out as soon as it comes to me, that I'll forget to mention it at all. Besides, if I let the other person go on too long, I lose interest in what they're saying and start tuning them out.

Exactly. I feel like my thoughts are coming really fast--almost faster than I can say them--so if I don't blurt them out immediately (often at a rapid-fire pace :oops: ) they'll disappear.

The "tuning out" thing has been going on my entire life. There are times when the other person is talking and I'll start to mentally form a response. Unfortunately, I then end up not hearing the rest of what they were saying.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 12:09 am

I interrupt people at least once or twice per conversation. People who know me well are aware of this and it doesn't seem to bother them. It makes me frustrated though, because I always feel bad about it and I wish I was better at timing conversations.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 12:13 am

Constantly. I feel bad about there being blank air in a conversation so I always try to talk first, even if the other person is simply busy formulating a thought or something.

And other times I feel like I NEED to say something before I forget it so I just butt in.