Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 5:23 pm

I don't wish to be cured of my autism. I've been living with my disorder for three and a half decades. My personality traits, likes and dislikes are all a result of me being on the spectrum. I have three decades of all of this. If I was to be forced to take the cure against my will, I would lose all of that, and I would have to re-adapt to the world as an NT, and I really don't want that for myself. People should either accept me as I am, with my vintage clothes, Kinks T-Shirts and my monotone Cockney accent, or just look the other way. Don't mourn for me! I've lived a jolly good life, so far. Autism is not a prison sentence. If you're going to cure something, cure meat. Happy Autism Awareness Month! :D

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 5:35 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I don't wish to be cured of my autism. I've been living with my disorder for three and a half decades. My personality traits, likes and dislikes are all a result of me being on the spectrum. I have three decades of all of this. If I was to be forced to take the cure against my will, I would lose all of that, and I would have to re-adapt to the world as an NT, and I really don't want that for myself. People should either accept me as I am, with my vintage clothes, Kinks T-Shirts and my monotone Cockney accent, or just look the other way. Don't mourn for me! I've lived a jolly good life, so far. Autism is not a prison sentence. If you're going to cure something, cure meat. Happy Autism Awareness Month! :D

Autism is a label applied to a certain set of personality traits and psychological eccentricities. That is who you are. Autism isn't something to be cured, as it is integral to who we are. I wouldn't take the cure, it would be like committing suicide, as every element of myself would change.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 5:38 pm

Brown ducks dont need to be mallards just cause there is more of them...

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 5:59 pm

Surfman wrote:
Brown ducks dont need to be mallards just cause there is more of them...

There's a dog in your toilet!!

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

patiz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Mar 2011, 6:12 pm

You might agree with this cockneyrebel

follow this link

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/blog/ ... nius-dirac

rabidmonkey4262
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 7:24 pm

I guess it's really a case by case basis. If you could barely tie your shoes and sensory processing problems prevent you from saying even the most basic words and stepping outside, then yes, you might want to be cured. Then again I can't speak for those individuals because there's no way for any one of us to truly know what they're feeling.

I agree with you, I would not want to cure myself either, but neither of us are profoundly negatively effected, seeing as we're both able to go on this site and type. What do you think about this article:

Cure for autism?

It seems as though they're actually trying to cure mental retardation, which is something I can support, but this particular quote alarms me: "Prior to treatment they showed signs of hyperactivity, purposeless and repetitive movements."

So what aspect of autism are they actually trying to cure? At least in humans, I don't think the repetitive movements are necessarily bad, and how does one judge when something is "purposeless"? As with the prenatal testing mentioned earlier, these developments are not necessarily progress. You have an equal chance of having an autistic child who is a genius, and an autistic child who struggles to put on his socks. Either way, I'd rather take that chance when I have my own kids.

Here is the layman's version.

It sounds shoddy to me. In a perfect world, we would be researching to understand those who are profoundly effected, but not cure them.

Last edited by rabidmonkey4262 on 04 Apr 2011, 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Mar 2011, 7:27 pm

Well said CockneyRebel. I do not want a cure either. Even with the challenges I have in life, there are so many fun things and gifts that autism has given to me. I gladly accept the whole package of autism---it is who I am.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 7:28 pm

i agree with this. i am glad that there are people who share my opinion.

Butterflies
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2011, 7:30 pm

I doubt if I'd choose to be cured of my AS, but I'd jump at the chance to be cured of my social anxiety.

I think it might be a different case for people who are far more severely affected though. If I had a child who was severely autistic, and I was offered a cure for them, then I think I would take the cure and give them a chance of a normal life.

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2011, 7:57 pm

"If the shoe doesn't fit, must we change the foot?" Gloria Steinem

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 7:57 pm

I don't want to be cured myself. AS is too good to me to get rid of.

Sinestro
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Mar 2011, 8:14 pm

Its unlikely there will even be a cure, unless science will have advanced to the point where we can completely re-wire someone's neurology. It is more likely that if a cure is developed for autism, it will have to be applied at the fetal stage.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 8:43 pm

I'm happy the way I am.

anonymoussun

31 Mar 2011, 8:51 pm

Well in my case I would want to cure my mild aspergers.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2011, 9:40 pm

Thank you all for your replies. I looked at my initial post and I can't seem to start any serious threads without going on a tangent, these days. My grammar also stinks as well, but I got a whole bunch of things off my chest, due to the fact that April is Autism Awareness Month and a lot of communities in the Western World is going to be flooded by all these Autism Speaks ads on the TV and radio. I'm going to polish off my CD collection and listen to all of my 150 CDs until April comes to an end. I'm also only going to use my TV to post on my Wii, when I'm not posting with my Netbook. That way, I won't have to deal with all those Autism Speaks ads.

Ariela
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2011, 7:36 am

I don't want to be cured of AS either but I can't tell parents of severely Autistic children not to cure their kids.