Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 2:15 pm

My friends BF wrote the following on FB. Thank you mom for reporting me to the IRS for making an honest mistake on my tax return. Glad to see you got my back. (Said with Extreme sarcasm)!

I said: Good for her for saying something.

Everyone else is sorry etc. IMO you made a tax mistake and your mom called you on it. IMO (unless huge fine/jail issue something MAJOR) IMO it's good she called him on his mistake. He can now fix it and learn not to make that mistake on next years taxes. NOW if he said now I have to pay X fine (or jail) something MAJOR I would of been "sorry" as well. but that was NOT the case here. What are your thoughts???

Exhumed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Apr 2011, 2:37 pm

Uhh, no, she should have just told him he made the mistake, rather than reporting it to the IRS. It's probably likely he DID have to pay a fine or something, even if he didn't get in trouble per se. Just based on the fact that that it's the government and they charge you for wasting their time and messing things up. Regardless, you probably know that's not a socially appropriate thing to post.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 2:49 pm

I think that reporting to the IRS was a little extreme.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 2:53 pm

I agree reporting to the IRS was extreme. Also ya I probably shouldn't have said "that's good" but Perhaps he'll learn not to make that mistake in the future. I think it's odd he was being "extremely sarcastic" I'd think his mom might have a FB membership so for her to see her son mad at her would I'd think upset her. (IF she has an account/saw what he posted. that is) :-)

emlion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2011, 2:54 pm

He was probably trying to make it clear to her he was upset.
Which is why he posted the status, to be all 'look how mad i am at you.'

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 1:16 pm

Are you sure that if the same thing happened to you, you wouldn't be posting it in the Haven? I'm surprised these people aren't jumping on you for the rudeness of your post, which is essentially, kicking him when he's down.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 1:59 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
My friends BF wrote the following on FB. Thank you mom for reporting me to the IRS for making an honest mistake on my tax return. Glad to see you got my back. (Said with Extreme sarcasm)!

I said: Good for her for saying something.

Everyone else is sorry etc. IMO you made a tax mistake and your mom called you on it. IMO (unless huge fine/jail issue something MAJOR) IMO it's good she called him on his mistake. He can now fix it and learn not to make that mistake on next years taxes. NOW if he said now I have to pay X fine (or jail) something MAJOR I would of been "sorry" as well. but that was NOT the case here. What are your thoughts???

The mom should have just ignored the mistake and let the IRS find it on their own and contact him about it. It's what the IRS gets paid to do. If she would have done that, the guy wouldn't have gotten angry at her. It's petty anyway, so why not let it go? If the IRS thinks it's serious, they aren't going to let it pass under their noses.
Or, she could have reviewed his tax form before he sent it and informed him of the mistake. How did she find out, anyway? Isn't something like a tax form personal info?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 2:01 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:

So do I. That's betrayal. She should have offered to help him fix his mistake instead of telling the authorities.

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 4:23 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

So do I. That's betrayal. She should have offered to help him fix his mistake instead of telling the authorities.

I suspect there's more to it than that.

The year is still young.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 4:30 pm

I also agree reporting it to IRS was extreme. She should have told him instead. But we don't know the whole story like how the mistake was made. My father in law made a mistake too on his taxes, a dumb one, because one of his friends told him to do it that way so he did trusting him thinking his friend knew what he was saying and knowing what he was doing. But it was the wrong advice so it screwed up his taxes and now they are being garnished for it. My husband doesn't know all the details when he told me this and his dad won't really say why. It could have been a very embarrassing mistake so he doesn't want to admit it because he feels ashamed for it and stupid and doesn't want anyone else to know. That's how I am when I am embarrassed about something or ashamed of it. I don't want anyone to know so I refuse to tell about it.