Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 6:21 pm

This was originally a short letter I wanted to let out in the havan in the sticky thread, but it got longer then expected and I decided that I wanted to talk about it with folks that know about these kinds of things intimately

Quote:
Oh how I wish I could let all my resentment out, I kept trying to hint to you - and I'm not subtle - that I needed your support, and you kept evading me, why are you surprised that I refused to speak to you? I've got all this anger towards you and no where to vent it, you refused to listen, to even try to understand what was happening with me, you blatantly derided it as nothing important, as very mild, as something you could never understand, but how can you know unless you try? I know I've certainly tried speaking to you, pointing you in the right direction, but you implicitly say you can't deal with it, but if I can - and I'm the unstable one - then surely you; with your high horses and succesful lives and you partners and apartments and jobs and cars, can make the effort.
At this point, after all the anguish you have put me through with your silence, the worst thing is knowing that you have no idea how you made me feel, and I'm at this point in my life where everything has been turned upside down, mum's only one person, and I just wanted someone to talk to and for someone to say "ok, I'll try to make an effort, I'll try see from your perspective", you have no excuse, there is no crisis in your life, and I felt my heart break when you were sitting on the sofa watching Friends with mum and you complained about how loud the shops were in town, so I said "my occupational therapist says I'm in the top 1% of people with hypersensetive hearing" and you just glance at me and look away and mutter "well that's not what i have.." and get back to what you were doing - I look at you with a blank stare and say "f**k you" if only for a reaction - nothing, you ignore it. Mum could see what I was trying to do "Sarah he's trying to talk to you about what's going with him" but you bitterly deny it "no he isn't, arn't you not Ciaran" and suddenly I'm put on the spot, know this is the last thing she wants to talk about, so I say "no, that's not it.." and shrink back into my chair, I don't speak to you for the rest of the day, when you tried to ask me something trivial I tell you "f**k off"

It's Sarah's birthday next Sunday, there all coming over to me and my mum's house

What's an autistic to do? Any advice?

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2011, 9:16 pm

Erm, birthdays aren't the best time to do that. Birthdays are about the other person. You could try another day when they are other and you are all together.
Mmm....I don't think your (brother?) got your point. You were trying to relate that you shared his trait for having sensitive ears, right? It would be good to point that out in your article. It's just like... you've got all these facts, but you've got to make the connections for them, so they understand. Do you get what I'm saying?

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 12:06 am

From the description they are mad at you for not picking up their social cues........(e.g."a look that said........etc.) Maybe you should remind them that you have difficulty picking up social cues like that because you're autistic and you didn't realize that anyone was trying to get a reaction from you or communicate with you....and you didn't mean to offend anyone.

It doesn't sound to me like you did anything offensive though......I don't really understand why your sister is upset............or why your comment was hurtful.....................

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 7:02 am

I have attempted to remind them, I when I see them, but they always evade it, change the subject, how can I get them to listen?

And I didn't intend to speak of it on the birthday.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 12:50 am

Phonic wrote:
I have attempted to remind them, I when I see them, but they always evade it, change the subject, how can I get them to listen?

And I didn't intend to speak of it on the birthday.

I wish I had some advice :(