Page 2 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 9:30 am

alexfromnorway wrote:
Wanting to reproduce is normal, all living creatures have that drive, it doesn't matter if you are a moose in the woods, a rich businessman, a sports star or an aspie, like me.

I must be dead. :lol:

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 9:45 am

Spreading your genes through sperm donation strikes me as narcissistic. If your genetic material is so desirable, then you should be no trouble finding mate and then you can "donate" through the more direct method. Or are you unwilling to take the risk that you might father a child that requires more attention than you are willing to provide?

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 11:02 am

Autistic genes are not all that bad. Sure you might end up with a low funtioning autistic but you could also end up with a genius.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 11:03 am

androbot2084 wrote:
Autistic genes are not all that bad. Sure you might end up with a low funtioning autistic but you could also end up with a genius.

Fine. But if those dice are to be rolled, they should come from the hand of one creating the risk.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 11:04 am

androbot2084 wrote:

Sperm roulette?

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 11:06 am

androbot2084 wrote:

Apparently the rest of the world disagrees with this statement. Autism is an automatic disqualifyer for sperm donations at every location that I know of. Huh... Wonder why that is.... (sacrasim of course)

alexfromnorway
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Apr 2011, 11:26 am

This discussion is directed at autists. I am a High-functioning Aspergian, not a low functioning autist. (If you are in doubt)

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 11:45 am

But nobody is preventing you from starting your own sperm bank that features the exotic autistic genes.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 11:56 am

alexfromnorway wrote:
This discussion is directed at autists. I am a High-functioning Aspergian, not a low functioning autist. (If you are in doubt)

And what am I? Chopped liver?

You are dodging the core issues.

First, even if your high functioning Asperger's is more a gift to you than a curse, it is statistically more probable that your children will also be on the spectrum. This could mean a child anywhere on the range of functionality. You have no guarantee that a child fathered by you would also have a form of autism that is more gift than burden. It is utterly illogical to believe this, and as you are a gifted Aspie, surely it needs no further explanations.

Second, if offering your sperm to artificial insemination as your preferred method of propagating your genes pushes the risk of a potential LFA individual onto someone else. If you do not disclose your place on the spectrum, you do even worse because you create risk for another person and give them no way assess that risk. Unethical at least, if not outright immoral and illegal.

Finally, by you simply supplying sperm as a donor, you abdicate any responsibility for raising a potentially low functioning individual. And this, simply because you think so much of yourself that you believe your genes should persist. Like I said, if you are such a catch, then find a female and procreate. If you are so impaired socially that you cannot find such a partner, then perhaps your genetic line should end with you when you finally depart this world.

kfisherx
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 12:33 pm

alexfromnorway wrote:

You are also completely misinformed about so many things. (AKA this statement is wrong on soooooo many levels)

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 12:35 pm

But you are avoiding the issue. When neurotypicals donate sperm do they have to confess that their offspring will be doomed to a life of mediocrity?

And the inability to socially get along with a partner is not a reason not to procreate. Many of my freinds commented about the fact that when I was dating that the woman that I was trying to date that we would make the perfect couple. Yet the relationship was doomed because it was only a matter of time before I put my foot in my mouth. It was sort of like a Romeo and Juliet paradox. It's not that we would not have been the perfect couple but rather it was because I was misunderstood.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 12:37 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
If you are so impaired socially that you cannot find such a partner...

This idea alone negates the OP's idea of having superior genes. Why would you need to donate in order to spread your genes if you were not disabled in some way?

I just can't imagine any woman trying to become pregnant willingly choosing a stranger who has this on the off chance that the kid might be a savant. If she would happen to find a partner on the spectrum, that's totally different.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 12:39 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
It's not that we would not have been the perfect couple but rather it was because I was misunderstood.
I see this sentence as a contradiction.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

19 Apr 2011, 12:54 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
But you are avoiding the issue. When neurotypicals donate sperm do they have to confess that their offspring will be doomed to a life of mediocrity?

Oh my god, Aspie supremacy makes no damned sense at all. Why are you even saying this?

Being NT is not doomed to mediocrity, just as being AS doesn't mean one will automatically be brilliant and talented. NT or AS is not the entirety of who a person is and many many other factors play a role as well.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 12:56 pm

Zen wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:
If you are so impaired socially that you cannot find such a partner...

This idea alone negates the OP's idea of having superior genes. Why would you need to donate in order to spread your genes if you were not disabled in some way?

Heh heh. You caught that implication rather nicely 8)

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2011, 12:58 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
But nobody is preventing you from starting your own sperm bank that features the exotic autistic genes.

LOL. This is funny. But it sure is the ethical way to go. At least you are letting people make the choice to assume risk.