Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Zexion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2011, 1:25 pm

I used to have an absolutely amazing memory as a child, but these days, it's just terrible, especially my short-term memory.

Does anyone here have the same problem?

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 1:29 pm

My memory is shot as well, though it was not always that way. Perhaps our memory's have gone off on vacation together and simply forgotten to come back...

Zexion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2011, 1:41 pm

Made my day xD.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2011, 2:42 pm

i don't know if you are joking or serious, because i've been having the same problem i forget things like i have Alzheimer's disease.

everyone else tells me it's normal.

but i looked up memory loss on the internet and one of the worst signs of bad memory loss is inability to make even simple decisions. like what to eat, what to wear... ect.

i think i may have a serious problem, because i've been having trouble deciding things for several years now, and it's getting to the point that getting faced with a decision ingites a fiecre rage within me cause i just don't want to have to decide anything.

most of my problem is my story which occupies 70% of my memory and is now more of an internal universe then just a simple story. [if i start forgetting about this i'll kill myself]

15% goes to my computers.

and 14% goes to my games.

1% is the sorting facilty were xemnas and harkness work when they are not in my subconscious arguing, they sort all the memories that are not in the three categories, and eliminate them after about 10 seconds of storage.

Zexion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2011, 4:22 am

I am being serious... (Sorry for bumping this thread again.)

I wonder if it has something to do with that I've been spending too much time infront of my computer the past few years and that I'm just overloaded with information.

Exhumed
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2011, 4:31 am

Or it could be all the weed you're smoking, that was my problem.

Zexion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2011, 4:35 am

I don't do drugs in any way.

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 7:45 am

I know for me when I had that whole burnout ordeal, my memory got worse and it never fully came back. Stress also makes my memory worse. Someone mentioned a story taking up mind capacity.. I can be like that as well, if a thing is busy in my head there is very little room for anything else... maybe like computer information brain overloading? Really, it can be a lot of things that make a persons memory get worse from age to nutrition to other factors like the ones I stated above.

Apparently there are books that teach memory improving techniques. I am far too lazy and disinterested to try them, but I do try to do mind engaging puzzles to at least help keep me from becoming senile at an early age. I have heard that can help as well.

I had not heard that memory loss and inability to make decisions were correlated. I find that interesting as I am awful about decision making. My executive functioning leaves things to be desired though. I am not sure how much one impacts the other with me but I can certainly relate to flipping out over decision making...

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

23 Apr 2011, 10:24 am

Have you gone to see the doctor lately? Perhaps you've got nutritional deficencies.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2011, 11:56 am

Zexion wrote:
I used to have an absolutely amazing memory as a child, but these days, it's just terrible, especially my short-term memory.

My brother lost his eidetic memory in adolescence and his doctor said that's common. I wonder if that goes for other kinds of memory too.

My memory is just plain weird. In many circumstances it looks terrible to me and to tests that assess memory. But a lot of that seems to be because these very direct approaches don't trigger it right. But if something triggers that memory, then it's much better than average. But it's totally out of my control.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

23 Apr 2011, 12:38 pm

anbuend wrote:
Zexion wrote:

My brother lost his eidetic memory in adolescence and his doctor said that's common. I wonder if that goes for other kinds of memory too.

My memory is just plain weird. In many circumstances it looks terrible to me and to tests that assess memory. But a lot of that seems to be because these very direct approaches don't trigger it right. But if something triggers that memory, then it's much better than average. But it's totally out of my control.

Recall is shot, but recognition isn't?

That seems to be my problem (As my recognition seems to be in the top decile if not percentile, but my recall is rather questionable at times. The ability to recall verbal information would manifest in my writing, such as appearing to have the syntactic and lexical complexity of a 16 year old, which is apparently the case. :lol: ), though I really just suspect verbal-specific memory impairments. I suspect this will show up in my upcoming memory assessment.

To answer the OP, my short term memory appears to be excellent according to several online tests, and official IQ test results would suggest short term memory somewhere within the top fifth percentile. Maybe.