Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Cypherthefox1
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Apr 2011, 2:19 pm

Ok so my parents keep talking about support for me because of my aspergers...
But I'm very worried that i'll get treated like a child, or that I won't be able to go out on my own and do things that most people my age do. I've been learning independence skills and stuff, but I worry that getting support will limit me and stop me doing things I want to do in life... I know that some other aspies here might be as worried, or actually have support. The main thing I'm trying to say is, does support stop you going out and doing things on your own? I don't want a support worker following me around all day, telling me what to do and not what to do with my life... (no offense to any support workers here. I'm just a little bit worried right now)

I'm in the UK if that helps any.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 2:26 pm

I'm only hazarding a guess here, but I would have thought that any professional would attempt to give you independence skills and boost your self esteem and coping abilities rather than try to make you dependent on them. You need someone to truly support you, not hold you back. You should maybe voice these concerns with your parents?

Dgosling
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2011, 2:27 pm

don't worry that only happens when you need it and you don't

it will just help make schooling and stuff easier on you so it's not so stressful you still will be able to do stuff on your own you'll just have some help when you need it

Cypherthefox1
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Apr 2011, 2:55 pm

TallyMan wrote:
I'm only hazarding a guess here, but I would have thought that any professional would attempt to give you independence skills and boost your self esteem and coping abilities rather than try to make you dependent on them. You need someone to truly support you, not hold you back. You should maybe voice these concerns with your parents?

I'm mainly worried about being mollycoddled and treated like this eternal manchild who can't do things for himself...
I can understand how I need support to some degree, but overall the thing I worry about is being patronized and not treated like everybody else... Theres also the stigma too, what if people don't like me because of it? I mean, I don't want to die alone! ALOT of women (from my experience, at least) tend to be really shallow and I doubt i'd get a girlfriend if they found out I was getting support.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2011, 3:05 pm

I have staff about 25 hours a week, and I find that I'm more independent and functional when I have them.