Could an aspergers male give a speech like this? [HITLER]

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

08 May 2011, 5:28 pm

The part where he becomes fairly animated is right after 1:40 and gets pretty intense after 4:00. I'm just curious if a typical aspergers male could actually pull off the dynamics of his facial expressions, tonality and gestures.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGhdX1SI3KY[/youtube]

I'm just asking because it seems to be a pretty far stretch that Hitler had aspergers, like some have suggested, considering his charisma and effective leadership of people. I wasn't aware that males with aspergers could turn on the charisma whenever they wanted, lol.

Btw, make sure you wave hi to my Great Great Great Great uncle who does the introduction and makes the final remarks at the end! (He's Rudolph Hess)

Last edited by swbluto on 08 May 2011, 5:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 May 2011, 5:40 pm

Hitler practiced his rhetoric and speaking in front of a mirror, and filmed himself (see John Keegan's Mask of Command book for pictures). No one could fake what he did, I don't think.

Nordlys
Toucan
Toucan

08 May 2011, 6:00 pm

Trencher93 wrote:
Hitler practiced his rhetoric and speaking in front of a mirror, and filmed himself (see John Keegan's Mask of Command book for pictures). No one could fake what he did, I don't think.

I remember about the mirror. On my history book there was pictures of Hitler in front of mirror.
But at that time all politics had to emphasize their gesture, more than today. Mussolini did the same (But Mussolini was NT)

- Denne videoen er ikke tilgjeng i ditt land - It's clear I can't see it.

- La diversità è l'elemento principe del mondo -

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 6:43 pm

oh gawd, these threads should be against the rules.

A lot of the comments for the vid itself are white supremicist

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 6:47 pm

Giving a speech is nothing like face to face conversation. There are quite a few Aspie actors. Learning to gesture, use facial expressions and tone of voice are all skills - some people are better at learning them than others.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

08 May 2011, 6:48 pm

Phonic wrote:

Why? Hitler's aspergers status is in serious question and who better to ask than an autism forum?

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 6:51 pm

swbluto wrote:
Phonic wrote:

Why? Hitler's aspergers status is in serious question

No it's not, I don't even entertain it because it's pointless, no one's been diagnosied with more crap then Hitler.

I for one think he was a wonderful demonstration for why we must always oppose nationalism, be it conservative or not.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 6:56 pm

Phonic wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Phonic wrote:

Why? Hitler's aspergers status is in serious question

No it's not

This guy thinks so: http://www.lakartidningen.se/store/arti ... 1_1204.pdf

Quote:
I don't even entertain it because it's pointless, no one's been diagnosied with more crap then Hitler.

But this is serious according to the author above! You shouldn't talk of such gravely important issues with such disregard. That's disrespectful.

Quote:
I for one think he was a wonderful demonstration for why we must always oppose nationalism, be it conservative or not.

Don't let one bad apple ruin the bunch.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

08 May 2011, 8:16 pm

Phonic wrote:
But it's quite possible to study the oratory and fail to become brainwashed (or something) by the content, don't you think?

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 8:34 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Phonic wrote:
But it's quite possible to study the oratory and fail to become brainwashed (or something) by the content, don't you think?

I wasn't saying wem ust not watch it, I am facinated by fascism if only for the sociology behind it.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 11:31 pm

He seemed to have a great command for tone. So do actors. However, he knew exactly what he was doing, ie how to manipulate people. I'm not saying that can't be taught. It sure can, and observed, too, by those on the spectrum. Hmm.... So, it's really hard to tell from a speech what he really is. However, he's like super detached from reality, (though possibly not more so than his right-hand man, right-hand by accident, Himmler. He was crazy.) He reminds me more of the story arc from the X-Files, the "Cerulean Blue" guy, who could suggest to most people an alternate reality. He was a character who was average in all ways except for his ability to manipulate. He really wanted to be larger than life. Hitler was also mostly average and envisioned himself as great as well. He's more like a sociopath with his lack of empathy for others. His continued rejections and varied life pursuits w/ rejections suggests that he wasn't great at all. Just an opportunist.

You kind of have me wondering, though. Here is a bio in English: http://www.suu.edu/faculty/ping/pdf/hitlerbiography.pdf He was incredibly imaginitive, so I seriously wonder about his writings. He was quite delusional and dare I say paranoid.
Perhaps one day we'll be able to dx all these famous people through brains, or genes, or whatnot. Just for now, who knows.

Quote:
Sure. If I may go back to the X-Files, like Mulder. :D I mean, some people are just resistant. Perhaps they more easily perceive "the man behind the curtain," or are just more obstinate, or both.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 11:40 pm

swbluto wrote:
The part where he becomes fairly animated is right after 1:40 and gets pretty intense after 4:00. I'm just curious if a typical aspergers male could actually pull off the dynamics of his facial expressions, tonality and gestures.

There's no way to tell if he has Asperger's. He would need to be diagnosed alive by a professional and even the professionals can get it wrong, so who knows? It is possible he could have AS, but equally as possible he doesn't.
Could I stand in front of thousands of people and give a speech like that? NO. I might be animated like that in front of people I know really well, but gads no, not with all those strangers about. It would be too distracting. I wouldn't say the drivel he does, either. His words are poorly chosen demagoguery designed to appeal to the masses, manipulating them, much like a cult leader manipulates his followers. Could be pure theatrical gimmick, over rehearsed and uncomfortable to watch. He would scream Germans into accepting him.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2011, 11:47 pm

Oh, here you go: Hitler: Diagnosis of a Destructive Prophet Amazon Link Edit: there's lots of resources out there if people are interested in reading about it.

Last edited by jamesongerbil on 09 May 2011, 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 12:01 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
swbluto wrote:

There's no way to tell if he has Asperger's. He would need to be diagnosed alive by a professional and even the professionals can get it wrong, so who knows? It is possible he could have AS, but equally as possible he doesn't.
Could I stand in front of thousands of people and give a speech like that? NO. I might be animated like that in front of people I know really well, but gads no, not with all those strangers about. It would be too distracting. I wouldn't say the drivel he does, either. His words are poorly chosen demagoguery designed to appeal to the masses, manipulating them, much like a cult leader manipulates his followers. Could be pure theatrical gimmick, over rehearsed and uncomfortable to watch. He would scream Germans into accepting him.
He pretty much did. :?

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 12:04 am

Okay, so now we are diagnosing Hitler with asperger's? :roll:

How about we just diagnose Josef Stalin, Eisenhower, Truman, Winston Churchill, Moussellini, and all the rest of the WWII leaders and get it over with?

By the way, is this thread Godwin's Law in reverse?

Last edited by nirrti_rachelle on 09 May 2011, 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2011, 12:05 am

And Chairman Mao :)