Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Tasy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Aug 2006, 12:47 pm

Hi! I'm new to this community. I have an 8 year old boy with PPD who is playing football this year. The team is VERY competitive, and he may never actually get to play in a game. But he likes the practices and pads, and wants to do it. He's not getting the game, and he isn't doing very well, but so long as he wants to play, I figured I should let him. My concern is that if he never gets it, will the other kids tease him? I was wondering what you all think of a child with PPD/aspergers playing football, and if you know of any young kids on the spectrum who have tried it. Thanks guys!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2006, 1:05 pm

I don't think that you should take your boy out of the team. As long as it is a positive experience, keep him there. He's getting physical exercise; he enjoys it; what's not to like?

Still--and this is probably going to sound harsh--I think he'll get teased, no matter what he does. Most kids get teased; and people on the spectrum are almost guaranteed to get it. Usually it doesn't get bad until junior high, though. If (when) it happens, be available and ready to advocate for him.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

donkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2006, 3:15 pm

teach him karate for the teasing let him play kids like to playan dlive and tease and learn. let him grow

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2006, 3:39 pm

I'm a lot older than your son, but I did play flag football. I really enjoyed it, even though I was pretty bad. :roll: It's too bad the team is so competitive. Yeah, he might get teased....but doing something he wants to do could also boost his confidence. He could always quit later if he ends up hating it, right?

colcamt3
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2006, 1:13 pm

OMG!

I just posted something about my 7 y.o. playing football. Hardly anyone answered, though. I'm glad you have the same question.

My son is going to the 2nd grade, this is his first year playing. My 6 y.o. is on the same team. I'm just gonna let him play. He has been teased a little already, due to him trying to explain things to the other kids. Like how much fat is in junk food, or whatever. They were like, "Yeah, whatever!!" He gets teased anyway, whether on the football team or in the classroom.

Last year we tried baseball, but the fact that you can't get lost in the crowd, like you can in football..he didn't like it. Everyone was looking at him when the ball came his way. When he didn't catch it, and throw it in...all the kids knew he had messed up. Football, though, all the kids are just piling up, and I can't pick him put of the crowd.

Tomorrow is our first scrimmage game. I'll let you know how it goes, if you are interested. I'm gonna let my son play, and finish the season. I want him to get out there and try all things. I feel like I can't keep him sheltered all the time.

Any input is appreciated.

colcamt3
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Aug 2006, 1:24 pm

Oh...I forgot to say...

Sometimes I pick another "non descript" little boy and keep my eye on him. Very few of the boys "get" the game. I try to watch some other little kid like I am HIS mom, and see these kids making all kinds of weird crazy mistakes. Just like my little boy. All the kids have some kind of issue, it may not be what your little one, or my little is dealing with, but they all have something.

For example one little boy doesn't listen AT ALL.
Another tries to fight all the other kids.
Another cries every time he gets hit.
Another isn't trying at all.
Another the coach had to remind him of things over, and over...
Another never stops once the whistle is blown
Another is always in the wrong place.
Another keeps saying he can't do it.

You get my point. I know the above things are nothing in comparison, however, at this age only a few of the kids are really good. He probably fits right in with the rest. Keep me posted.

Emoal6
Toucan
Toucan

11 Aug 2006, 2:32 pm

my only question is, has your son been told he is autistic? See, I played flag football and even played football the first 2 years of highschool. While I loved the game and could handle my own most of the time at my positions, people see us differently than everyone else. We can make the same exact mistake and it will get a completly different response from everyone else. He WILL get teased, its a matter of how much that matters, not that it happens.

If I get married and have kids(which i would like to do one day), and one of them has an ASD, I will tell them as soon as possible. Its much more beneficial to know as early as possible as to learn where you need to catch up with the world(IE. social skills, motor skills, speach, etc.) I unfortunatly did not have a clue of what autism was, let alone that I most likely am on the spectrum(not diagnosed yet but pretty sure I have asperger or HFA), untill 2 months ago or so. Im 21 now and had no idea why I was different fro everyone else. I was smart enough to learn quickly and adapt to situations, but I couldn't communicate the same way as others, never understood anything about body language(still dont), had to teach myself how to get my mind to send the words to my mouth so that i could say what I meant instead of using the wrong words.

Its difficult, especially if you dont know how different you really are, when all you wanted was to be normal. Its not that you can't find a way and a group to fit in, its just harder to understand why people act the way they do until you know how different you really are. Football is a great sport and if he shows some talent at all, be it physical attributes(strength or speed) or good instincts and awareness, then by all means encourage him to continue. But if he tells you he doesnt want to play anymore, for any reason, dont force it on him. Help him through life and be there for him to have an ear to hear his problems. This will help him learn to trust others and that alone will help anyone go far in life.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2006, 2:34 pm

My son has HFA and earlier this summer I enrolled him on a soccer team specifically for kids on the spectrum and I couldn't believe some of the negative responses I got about sheltering him, ect. I thought that was really kind of bigoted that only those who play on "regular" teams deserve any kind of respect or are playing "real" sports. Like the NTs determine that or something. However one of the reasons was that my neice is on a soccer team and they are very competitive also and that can be really hard on the kids. The game is supposed to be about fun after all and then learning some skills. It is different from when it used to be where teams weren't so competitive until kids got older. So I would let your son's level of enjoyment determine whether he should be on the team or not - HOWEVER - if they are really competitive be watchful that if his skills are poor that the other teamates or coach doesn't use him as an excuse for losing. Another mom in our local parent group had her son even experienced this on a high school level not only from the kids teamates but from the coach who was not doing anything about the bullying.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2006, 9:21 pm

It is very possible that he could be teased, which I would not recommend Football as a sport (if he doesn't like it) at which he should engage in. Soccer and possibly Baseball would work out fantastically.

Good luck with that though :)

colcamt3
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Aug 2006, 8:12 pm

I on the other hand think football is better than baseball, not sure about soccer. Think about it, in football some players never touch the ball. At this young age they never throw the ball, so you don't have to worried about catching it.

My kid didn't do well with baseball, because all eyes were on him. 2 strikes and he's up to bat. Alrighty, then! Then some one hits an easy pop fly to him, and everyones looking...it's coming your way...it's coming your way...he doesn't even almost catch it, and then doesn't even run after it....coaches are mad, kids think he sucks...thats the scenario.

Football on the other hand, when the whistle blows, push the guy in front of you, and try to take him down. No one is looking at you specifically. It's such a hodepodge of events that even if you mess up, the other kids don't even know it.