Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

diadict
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jun 2011, 1:42 pm

This might take a bit to explain properly... It's only taken me 25 years to figure it out...

Met my best friend in HS when I was 16, I'm 41 now. For some reason I was drawn to him, he seemed to really have it together and we had so many similar values... Not long after we met, he told me that he was once in a class for the 'mentally handicapped', but he did not tell me what he was classified with, at least not that I remember. He is brilliant, but tends to be arrogant. Over the years, he has taught me to read folks' body language, their tone and word choice to help to figure out what their real intentions are. Without him, I honestly would not have been able to learn from all the social pitfalls I have found myself in over the years. More recently, have begun to question whether or not I didn't myself have AS; I have one friend that is diagnosed with it, another who has been told he must have it (his nickname at work is House). The Wife told me that she thought I had it, and that we should get a diagnosis (she has ADHD and is a school teacher). I mentioned this to my best friend, and he said that I have too much other crap on my plate right now to worry about (he's right in a sense, we've been through a lot since we got married in October last year). But he also said that he was diagnosed with AS when he was young. Looking back, I think a good portion of his family has AS.

What could I be mad at? I think my friend has always known that I have AS, and that he deliberately kept it from me. I think his intetions were good, he wanted me to acclimate to The World and I believe he was concerned about my negative self-image. Anyway, back to the point... Should I feel betrayed that he chose to not tell me?

Let me be clear, I don't know he has held it from me or not, I'm just curious of your thoughts on the possibility.

Zardan
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jun 2011, 2:18 pm

Simply ask him.

Perhaps he didn't know, or perhaps he did.

Knowing is the first step to understanding and addressing how you feel about it.

It is better to know beforehand what is, than to later find out one has been chasing ghosts.

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jun 2011, 5:11 pm

I agree, just ask him. If he kept it from you for some time, I'm sure it wasn't with the intention of hurting you. If you already have a lot on your plate, why add more?

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

diadict
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jun 2011, 5:52 pm

I'll ask, no worries. I didn't pose the question with the idea that I wouldn't, just curious on everyone's take.

As for taking on more, too late for that. Finding out I am an Aspy just now is the cherry on top of this upheaval sundae... I didn't necessarily ask for that one, but of course I will respond appropriately.

I will ask him when the time is right.