does anyone else relate alot to other minority groups

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

dmack18
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jul 2017, 4:17 pm

okay what i mean by other minority groups as in like black people or the LGBT community. I first realized i had aspergers when i was 13 and that was the time barack obama ran for president. I realized that i would from here on i would have to run a marathon to get to what the average neurotypical person could get to. I had stasticts flying over my head like 80% chance of unemployment and 90% chance i would never get married. I was hopeless i was a stigmatized minority in a world run by non minorities. I was also in special ed classes and i felt so hopeless. Then i will never forgot that morning in 2008 when obama won i went downstairs and saw the paper barack obama elected to office and i began to get chocked up. A minority did it. That was the biggest barrier in american history. People of his skin color first built the white house as slaves. A minority did it a black guy with a funny name became president. At that moment i didnt feel so small at all in the world i could do anything. I will never forget sitting in class in 8th grade and tearing up because i felt so inspired the little guy for once won.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2017, 4:33 pm

I am not black or LBGTQ , I don't even know if I have ASD. However I do relate to the stigma attached to mental health although I'm not sure that's a minority these days. I find it difficult to compare the discrimination that minorities face as I have not felt it personally , I can best guess but will never really know.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 7:35 am

For most of my life, a correct diagnosis was impossible, so I tried to blend in among the eccentrics in the artistic community, and found my friends among a variety of unfortunate people in similar economic circumstances. I prefer their company to that of the wealthy.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 9:16 am

No, I don't relate to minority groups per se. I take people on a person by person basis.

I have a curious interest in the struggles a person of my own (white) ethnic group may face growing up in a different culture (eg. Denis Istomin, a Russian, growing up in Tashkent, Uzbekistan). I would like to research Denis' life and ask him what it was like growing up Russian in Tashkent.

sun.flower
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jul 2017, 10:35 am

Yes I relate more to minorities than majorities, I think the reason has to do with hardship, my life's not been easy

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 11:06 am

Well some of us are actually part of those other minority groups, so yes we can relate to our own groups...your question seems premised on the expectation that people who respond are not in those other minority groups.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 11:19 am

IstominFan wrote:
No, I don't relate to minority groups per se. I take people on a person by person basis.

I have a curious interest in the struggles a person of my own (white) ethnic group may face growing up in a different culture (eg. Denis Istomin, a Russian, growing up in Tashkent, Uzbekistan). I would like to research Denis' life and ask him what it was like growing up Russian in Tashkent.

I've never heard of Istomin, but the most isolated person I ever met without a handicap was fathered by a black American GI in Japan. He had been extreme Gaijin (sp?) there, and elsewhere, he fit no cultural stereotype at all. Another notable misfit was a nerd in Silicon Valley who was indistinguishable from his white colleagues on the telephone, but was African-american otherwise. He had completely given up on dating, and taken up collecting TV stations. When I met him, he had 4,000, but he only counted, never watched.

Anyone can get into a "minority" situation in a somewhat segregated area, or the "wrong" profession. I've done both.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 11:25 am

Dear_one wrote:
Anyone can get into a "minority" situation in a somewhat segregated area, or the "wrong" profession. I've done both.

I thought the OP was talking about oppressed minority groups, not people who just happen to be in the minority.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 11:54 am

starkid wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

I thought the OP was talking about oppressed minority groups, not people who just happen to be in the minority.

Honey, I've been the sociobiologist in a feminist meeting.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 12:03 pm

Dear_one wrote:

What in the world is that supposed to mean? And you'd better watch who you call honey; it can be interpreted as condescending.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 12:35 pm

starkid wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

What in the world is that supposed to mean? And you'd better watch who you call honey; it can be interpreted as condescending.

I think that is condescension in return, just a bit louder. Sociobiology is a true science that has been shouted down by feminists everywhere. E.O. Wilson, one of the most respected men in science, is also one of very few to have been physically attacked during a lecture, and there was similar disruption everywhere, with scientific debate nowhere at all.

I lived among feminists my whole life until those attacks, when I realized I was dealing with a cult that can never acknowledge inequality in their own favour.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2017, 8:10 pm

No. I focus on the person first.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2017, 8:57 am

I frequently relate more to people who are in minority groups (e.g., people with autism, African Americans, people who work in libraries) than to people who are in the majority demographic.

This is not universal, though. People in the "majority demographic" could be decent folks as well; and some people who work in libraries get on my last nerve.

AshtenS
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jul 2017, 5:34 pm

I find that autistics have a lot in common with deaf people because of the way our brains interpret language. Deaf people think differently than hearing people and they often lack the subtlety of hearing persons. They tend to be much more expressive than hearing people, especially if they speak a form of sign language.

For a while people often confused the two because the symptoms can be very similar in children.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 10:03 pm

Dear_one wrote:
starkid wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

I think that is condescension in return, just a bit louder. Sociobiology is a true science that has been shouted down by feminists everywhere. E.O. Wilson, one of the most respected men in science, is also one of very few to have been physically attacked during a lecture, and there was similar disruption everywhere, with scientific debate nowhere at all.

I lived among feminists my whole life until those attacks, when I realized I was dealing with a cult that can never acknowledge inequality in their own favour.

You are delusional and need to resolve your past conflicts rather than projecting them onto complete strangers.