Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

stripey
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2006, 4:44 pm

Anybody get that split second feeling when you are somewhere and doing something you have done before. I get that a lot is it more common for people with AS than NT's and what is it?

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2006, 6:11 pm

oh ,yes most definitely. I'll be sitting in class and a person will pass by and it feels like i've seen that before. I'll walk into a restaurant i've never been in and it feels like i've done this before.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Tails
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2006, 6:32 am

I have deja-vu all the time. It's a strange phenomenon. A good example would be when I watch a TV show or movie that, before I watch it, I _know_ I haven't seen before. Or if I visit a place that I _know_ I've never visited before. But within moments, it feels like I've definitely seen or done this in the past. It's very strange. My theory is that as my brain is storing the information for the first time, it's falsely storing it as a long-term memory rather than an immediate short-term one. Normally, a memory would gradually become a long-term one, but I think with me, I somehow access it as a memory from the far past immediately, rather than as a memory from just moments ago. Very strange.
I have other weird things, like sometimes I'll see myself get up and walk to the door a split-moment before I actually do it (for example). Again, I think it's just my brain filing things in weird orders. Like, it plays back the memory of me walking to the door immediately after I do it, but then stashes the memory in front of a copy of the memory, so that afterwards, I feel like I saw the action before it happened.
There are always logical explanations. I know nothing unnatural is going on. But it's definitely a very odd feeling at the time.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 8:15 am

I know!

The same goes for people and I. When I see people who look familiar and don't realize it until afterwards, I begin to wonder where I know them from.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 8:23 am

That happens to me all of the time when I see people that are new at school. Then, I go try to make friends with them. That's what I do.

Hovis
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2006, 9:20 am

Definitely, all the time. I might watch someone say something while performing a certain action, and I feel convinced I've seen and heard the whole routine before. Like Tails said, I'm sure it's the brain storing memories 'out of order'.

Does anyone else also get confused between dream-memories and real memories? There are things I seem to remember happening years ago, but to this day, I'm not sure whether they really happened, or I dreamed them. There was one 'memory' I had of going to a particular theater show when I was about seven or eight that I'd always thought was a dream, but then my mother mentioned it for some reason one day - it actually did happen!

devonmike
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Aug 2006, 11:10 am

Yes I get Deja Vu quite often, usually it is quite trivial, but 2 occurrences certainly made me stop and think.

Once when I was a kid I saw a car parked on a hill. A voice in my head said that car would roll away down the hill. I watched it for about 10 seconds and sure enough it rolled away.

Then about 20 years ago I was watching a plane at a flying display and I got an overwhelming feeling it was going to crash. Within half a minute it hit the ground and the pilot was killed.

I don't know how or why I get these images. I don't know whether it is Deja Vu, premonitions or whatever, and I don't have a clue as to why I get them. It used to worry me as a kid, but it has happened so often I just accept it now.

I am still waiting for a premonition about the lottery numbers!! !

SoccerFreak
Toucan
Toucan

18 Aug 2006, 6:17 pm

deja vu is also a symptom of a simple partial seizure or sometypes of ADD.

I get deja vu really bad, im literally terrified. but i usually have other seizure symptoms with it, such as a sudden bad oder.

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 7:04 pm

it frequently happens to me, sometimes i think im not real though like everything is fake and im watching it as a movie. 8O

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 7:51 pm

I've only noticed it recently, ie in the past 6 or 12 months. For example, I visited Cardiff University on their open day, and for a large part of it I was convinced I'd seen / done it before, and the rest of it just felt familiar. The biggest shock was seeing my friend around the corner (we're mainly online friends; I'd never met him before then) but the way he walked was ... well, I knew I'd seen it before. Except I couldn't have, because I'd never seen him IRL before, let alone the way he walks. That was probably the most convincing of the lot, closely followed by walking into the concert hall - it felt comfortable, and as though I was 'home.' Obviously it wasn't, as I'd never been there before. The rest of the day wasn't quite as strong, but much of it was close!

Real / dream memories - yes, I get confused too. Very confused.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 7:54 pm

It's not related to AS at all.

Mork
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Aug 2006, 6:11 am

I used to get Deja Vu when I was a child.

Haven't had it for years though.