Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2006, 8:05 pm

Alright so who's had success, or non success with getting on SSDI? i recently applied for the second time; the first time they found that i couldn't do any of my past jobs but that i could find something "less stressfull, and less complicated work" (whatever that means) but that was before i had another psycological evaluation done. (i only had one submitted then, the first time) so this last time i submitted another one. ive been in vr for almost a year and had a stint for awhile where i was working as a janitor, but that didn't work out so now im back at vr trying again.
its not working of course, and i would just like to know if anyone has been in this situation

jman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2006, 8:30 pm

I got SSDI the first time I applied but I also have co morbid bipolar and am still able to work to an extent so not sure if my situation is relevant to yours? What kinfd of issues have you had at your past jobs?

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2006, 8:44 pm

Well my main problem is obviously asperger disorder, but i also have a cognitive disorder and a schizoid personality disorder. i do not do well with communication and talking to people at all so it seems i need a solitary job. like a nite job. but the thing is;
1. i don't have a diploma or GED and im not interested in getting one, believe it or not most janitor jobs now require atleast a GED. yeah thats what im saying. 2. i dont have much job expericance ive only had 2-3 jobs my entire life and most of them i either got fired or just didn't go back because i couldn't handle being a dishwasher. and i have no motivation to want to work for a living like i just don't see a need for it so it further complicates things.

my caseworker for this agency that deals with "the crazy's" here in town told me that everyone gets denied the first time they apply and that this time i should get accpted for disability insurance.
so i hope thats the case because im about ready to pop some caps into some people asses over at the vr office. lol

jman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2006, 8:54 pm

waterdogs wrote:
Well my main problem is obviously asperger disorder, but i also have a cognitive disorder and a schizoid personality disorder. i do not do well with communication and talking to people at all so it seems i need a solitary job. like a nite job. but the thing is;
1. i don't have a diploma or GED and im not interested in getting one, believe it or not most janitor jobs now require atleast a GED. yeah thats what im saying. 2. i dont have much job expericance ive only had 2-3 jobs my entire life and most of them i either got fired or just didn't go back because i couldn't handle being a dishwasher. and i have no motivation to want to work for a living like i just don't see a need for it so it further complicates things.

my caseworker for this agency that deals with "the crazy's" here in town told me that everyone gets denied the first time they apply and that this time i should get accpted for disability insurance.
so i hope thats the case because im about ready to pop some caps into some people asses over at the vr office. lol

Csn I ask how old you are? I find it quite sad that you are intent on not getting a GEDand just going on SSDI the rest of your life, but whatever floats your boat dude.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2006, 9:18 pm

jman wrote:
waterdogs wrote:

Csn I ask how old you are? I find it quite sad that you are intent on not getting a GEDand just going on SSDI the rest of your life, but whatever floats your boat dude.

I second JMan's opinion on this. what are the things that interest you most? what have been the most recurrent interests that you have had?

I have had caseworkers hound me to try to get SSDI, and I have backed down on this partly because I would rather make my oen way in life, and also partly because going on SSDI means that somebody else will have partial control over you life.

Another thing to consider as well is the fact that you recieve barely enough cash monthly to get by. --Meanwhile the army of caseworkers who are employed to take care of you get quite a bit more than you would.

And yet another thing to consider, is the fact that should you decide to get off of SSDI and find gainful employment, your SSI retirement payments will be less because of the fact that you had previously recieved SSDI payments.

Perhaps you would be better off on SSDI, however I would consider carefully ALL of the options you have available.

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2006, 10:45 pm

im 26. i just have really narrow intrests when it comes to work. and since i don't want to get any degrees in them i can't possibly do them for a living. this is my problem; i just don't care about money, a career or steps needed to get there. why i don't know. maybe its because i had terrible expericanes in public school? im just not intrested in much it seems like. i do have intrests though and do them all the time, but i don't want to do them for money. it seems like people cannot understand that, everywhere i go. i can't make the connection between making money to live. ive been homeless and gone without money before so any amount they pay will be alright. i know they pay next to nothing so that doesn't really bother me. im prolly the only person you'll ever talk to that doesn't care about money or getting a bigger&better job to get more of it

i know people look down on other people who are on disability, but sometimes thats the only way for them to get any kind of money to function in sociaty. believe me if i could change my brain out for one that was normal i would, because it would be so much easier that way.

i've tried holding jobs down and going through rehabilitation services, it just seems like i have some unique traits that people can't understand so i end up at square one. all over again all the time. and thats no way to live, ill tell you that much.

jman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 9:24 am

Wht are you the traits that get you in trouble, you need to be more specific. Yes i know money is evil but you need it to live.

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 10:48 am

i don't think money's evil i just don't care about it at all. to me its just green paper that means nothing to me, wich in turn i guess diminishes my need to work for it. thats the best way i can describe it.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 12:02 pm

I'm not sure where you live but it can be difficult to get dissability....my sister had to get a lawyer who specialized in it and even that took time and he got a percentage.She had severe carpel tunnel,joint problems and reaccurrent depression resulting in several hospitilzations for suicide attempts...and it was still difficult (also had back surgery,)she lives in a very depressed area so the jobs she could get are very limited and her depression makes it difficult to get out of bed for weeks at a time...generally, if they think you can do anykind of work...they expect you to do it...but that is more complicated with AS when there are social and sensery and learning issues....

Personally I would love to never work again...I have been working over nights for 12 years and still find it very stressful but I know how hard my sister struggles on her small dissability checks...I feel rick in comparission...I can afford to persue my interests and hobbies and that keeps me working.I got tired of living on Ramon noodles and taking the bus.I dont have alot, make pretty crappy money for a 42 year old with a college degree but I like the freedom of buying what I want for my collections at the local thrift store...being able to take care of my bunnies and cats(not cheap)having a laptop and the money for a crown rather then having my teeth pulled out.

Good luck with your case...I hope it goes through for you...nobody knows your needs or limitations better then you.If it doesnt go through this time, you should consider getting a lawyer and letting him take his cut.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 1:26 pm

thanks. my caseworker said about 90% of people who apply for ssdi for the first time get denied. im sure ill get on it this time because i had another mental eval done and a ton of other information from other places given to them. they found the first time that i couldn't do any jobs ive done in the past but the evaluation i had done was pretty vegue the first time and was just a dx. this last evaluation i had done was through VR, and was a comprehensive indepth mental/work inrests evaluation, so im pretty shure this time there gonna find that i cant do any of my past jobs and that the disabilities i have limit me from getting a job that i'll be able to support myself on.

waterdogs
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 1:50 pm

Here's my diagnosis from my latest eval:

Diagnostic Impression:

DSM IV-Text Revision

Axis I 299.80-Asperger Disorder (impairment in social interaction, limited peer relationships, limits in social/emotional interaction, preoccupied with very limited restricted range of interests/collections)

294.9-Cognitive Disorder NOS (neurocognitive processing limitations/mild deficits in spatial perceptual areas, immeadiate memory, procesing speed, delayed recall and higher level of abstract planning, decision making and reasoning/executive functioning.-intact strenghts noted in verbal comprehension/communication and general fund of knowelege, inconsistent attention span with strenghts in selective attention.)

311.0-Depressive disorder NOS (mixed mild depressive symptomology with general anxiety/limited stress coping skills-symptoms exacerbated by new or novel situations and forced social contact/communication)

315.1-Mathematics Disorder (significant discrepancy in acquisition of fundamental arithmetic skills in relationship to cognitive functioning level and educational opportunity)

Axis II Mixed schizioid and dependent personality traits

Axis III No major medical findings-see medical records when available

Axis IV Psychosocial and Environmental concerns - Coping with social/people interaction, limited job skills, financial concerns, transportation issues, psychosocial issues and educational limitations stress associated with developing more autonomy and independence.

Axis V Global assesment of functional scale - Current GAF - 50 - serious symtoms and difficulty in social and occupational functioning.

yes i typed it all 8)

Last edited by waterdogs on 18 Aug 2006, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2006, 4:16 pm

I think you will get the disability this time :)