Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 7:56 pm

Are there any of you diagnosed with aspergers who do not stim?

Or maybe very little?

LadybugQ
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jun 2011, 8:23 pm

Yeah, I think no/minimal stimming is an occurrence in the AS population. A small number of the population, but it still occurs.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 8:38 pm

I meow like a cat from time to time.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 9:58 pm

I think most exhibit at least some stimming, but it is not an absolute necessity. Here is one section of the description in the dsm iv:

(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

Stimming is in there, but if you have either A, B, or D instead and not C, you can still qualify for a diagnosis. You do have to have one of those things though, or else it is not AS.

Ilka
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 9:59 pm

My daughter's stims used to be pretty intense when she was little. Thanks to her stims we found out she had AS. After about 1 year receiving therapy her stims stopped. She does not stim anymore (not that I know or notice, at least). But she does meow like a cat. Specially when she is expressing affection or anget. It's weird because she does that since she is very little, before she even meet a cat. She does not only meow like a cat, but also acts like a cat (cleaning herself with her tongue and "paws", and stuff).

Klokateer666
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2011, 10:09 pm

I don't think I've ever have stims but it looks like a somewhat common theme is to act in some degree like a cat. And I can see a lot of the similarities between cats and aspies (although I'm more of a dog person).

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 10:31 pm

I think most may stim, but not realise they do it, or are just at a point in their life where they don't stim.
At first I didn't think I stimmed, but I do and understanding the behaviour means I now know what I do is stimming.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 10:46 pm

My stimming is more like that of a dog.. serious I go around in circles if I am on my own (cant do it in public :D) and am tensed.

I used to hyperventilate like a dog apparently when I was a kid... I chew on stuff when I am thinking... I used to chew my hair when I was 11 but now I dont...

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2011, 10:55 pm

pree10shun wrote:
My stimming is more like that of a dog.. serious I go around in circles if I am on my own (cant do it in public :D) and am tensed.

I used to hyperventilate like a dog apparently when I was a kid... I chew on stuff when I am thinking... I used to chew my hair when I was 11 but now I dont...

So chewing on things would be considered a stim?

I chew on things as well and it helps me think.

I've never had hair long enough to chew on though.

ElfMusic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jun 2011, 11:56 pm

The problem with the question of "stimming" is that often many of the same actions that would be considered stims when someone on the spectrum does them, are not considered stims when done by an NT, for instance, pacing, which serves much the same purpose of focusing when stressed. So although not everyone on the spectrum stims through actions that aren't also found among NTs, like hand-flapping, we might tend to do things more often- like rocking, pacing, or hand-wringing, than an NT.

But the determination of who stims and what is considered stimming comes from NTs. So NT children get an education, but educating an ASD child is "treatment", NTs have habits, but Aspies have "stims."

Is chain-smoking a stim?

So in all, stimming is a matter of degrees and perspective, as opposed to either/or.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 12:14 am

ElfMusic wrote:
The problem with the question of "stimming" is that often many of the same actions that would be considered stims when someone on the spectrum does them, are not considered stims when done by an NT, for instance, pacing, which serves much the same purpose of focusing when stressed. So although not everyone on the spectrum stims through actions that aren't also found among NTs, like hand-flapping, we might tend to do things more often- like rocking, pacing, or hand-wringing, than an NT.

But the determination of who stims and what is considered stimming comes from NTs. So NT children get an education, but educating an ASD child is "treatment", NTs have habits, but Aspies have "stims."

Is chain-smoking a stim?

So in all, stimming is a matter of degrees and perspective, as opposed to either/or.

Good point...

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Jun 2011, 12:59 am

According to what I've read, a lot of people diagnosed with AS stimmed as children but apparently are less likely to do so as adults.

From reading this forum, I am dubious that this is the case, but it probably decreases for many as they get older. As far as it goes for me, I tend to stim rather frequently.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 1:01 am

I stim frequently too--mine definitely did not decrease with age.

Vivienne
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jun 2011, 1:11 am

This is just my personal opinion but -
I think that some people with Aspergers have a great ability to control whether they stim or not. So it`s very possible that most people could remain still when in public, but stim in private.

Personally, for me it`s a relaxation thing. I can`t particularly relax in public, plus I really don`t want to, because I have to stay alert for all the social intrincicities going on. Yet when I`m alone and relaxed it`s different. I just go ahead and do what I want to do.

"Be plain, good son, and homely in thy drift;
Riddling confession finds but riddling shrift"
~Shakespeare

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 1:46 am

I don't stim as much anymore like I used to. Autistic stims I mean but honestly I don't know what stims I do would be part of it since everyone stims. Autistic stims are just different. I have gone through periods where I stimmed more and then less.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jun 2011, 2:34 am

Bloodheart wrote:
I think most may stim, but not realise they do it, or are just at a point in their life where they don't stim.
At first I didn't think I stimmed, but I do and understanding the behaviour means I now know what I do is stimming.

This, like I rarely rock back & forth (probably only a few times a year when I'm really upset) but I twist my hair and tap my feet & other stuff without realizing it. When I do I try to stop. My sister used to yell at my all the time to stop doing stuff like that & "act normal" or "calm down" so I do. I also realize that I used to incorporate lots of spinning & twirling when we would dance for fun as a preteen & in junior high.