Lack of imagination...how has it effected you??

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

mrj
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jun 2011, 7:53 am

Over two years ago I realised I have a type of autism.

Its a long story as I was 28 when i realised i have autism two years ago. In general i've lived a normal life without my childhood symptoms being linked to autism but have struggled massively in some ways too.

Anyway.....when my ex girlfriend (from my only serious relationship) got married to someone else i had been completely isolated in London without being lonely.

After matching 80% of the symptoms to different stages of my life. I realised one of the worst effects is that I lack imagination as i never imagined how life would be with or without her. NOW I CANT STOP IMAGINING WHAT LIFE WOULD BE LIKE WITH HER AND HOW AMAZING MY LIFE WAS BEFORE.

Most normal people miss someone after a serious relationship. Whilst i didnt think about her once until i read about autism. I DIDNT IMAGINE WHAT LIFE WOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE TOGETHER until finding out she got married and I have autism.

Anyway I just wondered how a lack of imagination has effected people out there?
Has nayone had a similar experience??

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 7:54 am

Lack of "imagination" or lack of "social imagination"?

mrj
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jun 2011, 7:56 am

not sure really....i've never imagined stuff unless specifically being asked to do so. which happened occasionally and i always enjoyed.

I lack both i think....when people told me stories i never imagined them in pictures in my head. When I saw people with desirable things, or having an amazing time or doing something most people would love to do. I was NEVER jealous of them because i didn't imagine being them and now i can and do. Basically very little went on inside of my head but now it does!

Last edited by mrj on 27 Jun 2011, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 8:00 am

I have a very vivid and powerful imagination, and I have AS. Infact I have more of an imagination than most 17 year olds. I just don't express it like other people do, I like being in my own world.

mrj
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jun 2011, 8:05 am

I have a very vivid and powerful imagination, and I have AS. Infact I have more of an imagination than most 17 year olds. I just don't express it like other people do, I like being in my own world.

ScientistOFSound....what and when do you imagine the most? How do you express it? Are you day dreaming?

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 9:54 am

Ahaha, lack of imagination. I live on imagination.

Lack of social imagination? Oh yes.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Jun 2011, 12:13 pm

I have lots of problems because I lack iminatnation. I always had problems thinking of topics to write about when I had to make up a story in school for English. When people ask me questions about the future like what I want to do with my life or what do I think about their long-term plan; I am stumped. I tend to be analytical & can over analyze immediate possibilities & scenarios but I can NOT imagine anything long-term. I have problems coming up with ideas & theories & imagining the possibilities. I think the worst affect of my lack of iminatnation is that it causes me to have major problems making decisions & thinking for myself; one of the many rezones why I'm very dependent

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

justjelliot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2011, 12:17 pm

mrj wrote:
Over two years ago I realised I have a type of autism.

Its a long story as I was 28 when i realised i have autism two years ago. In general i've lived a normal life without my childhood symptoms being linked to autism but have struggled massively in some ways too.

Anyway.....when my ex girlfriend (from my only serious relationship) got married to someone else i had been completely isolated in London without being lonely.

After matching 80% of the symptoms to different stages of my life. I realised one of the worst effects is that I lack imagination as i never imagined how life would be with or without her. NOW I CANT STOP IMAGINING WHAT LIFE WOULD BE LIKE WITH HER AND HOW AMAZING MY LIFE WAS BEFORE.

Most normal people miss someone after a serious relationship. Whilst i didnt think about her once until i read about autism. I DIDNT IMAGINE WHAT LIFE WOULD HAVE BEEN LIKE TOGETHER until finding out she got married and I have autism.

Anyway I just wondered how a lack of imagination has effected people out there?
Has nayone had a similar experience??

Everyone I have ever met tell me my imagination is beyond anything they have ever seen. I imagine every possible result for every decision, and often base my choice on the most desired result. I have been told I am the only original thinker at my university, that I am the only person who doesn't just think outside the box, but doesn't even have a box to think out of. I guess it depends on the person.

http://aspiespy.blogspot.com/

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 12:29 pm

mrj wrote:

ScientistOFSound....what and when do you imagine the most? How do you express it? Are you day dreaming?

Yes, day dreaming. I usually just shut my eyes, and think of other planets, alternate universes, stuff like that. To express it, I usually either write or make music. All of my songs are inspired by daydreams, and sounds I imagine that I build in real life.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Jun 2011, 12:32 pm

I have a very vivid, literal, and detailed imagination. I have been recognised at my school for excelent essays and creative writing projects, and I can read books on the level that J.R.R. Tolkien wrote. I also have Aspergers. :)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 12:38 pm

ScientistOfSound wrote:
mrj wrote:

Yes, day dreaming. I usually just shut my eyes, and think of other planets, alternate universes, stuff like that. To express it, I usually either write or make music. All of my songs are inspired by daydreams, and sounds I imagine that I build in real life.

I do not understand that daydreaming that you speak of. I daydream a lot but there is very little thought involved. I think of the same thing repeatedly if I think of anything at all; it's more of a zoning out than daydreaming I guess. I'm kind of like Bender in the begging of the Futurama movie, Bender's Big Score. He's playing something like D&D with the kids & he can not think of magic spells, names ect. It seems kind of odd to me that I would be a big fan of comedy music because that is very creative stuff when I'm NOT a creative person at all.
I was at my grandparents a few days ago & a couple of my cousin's kids were there; they are little & one of em was playing some kind of pretend game like restaurant or something & he asked me what I wanted to eat; it literally took me a couple minutes to think of anything. Sometimes people think I'm being mean by not playing along with kids like that but I have a major problem comprehending/understanding it.

Last edited by nick007 on 27 Jun 2011, 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 12:44 pm

"lack imagination" is to be understood as lack of "theory of mind"....

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 12:45 pm

Sometimes I also like to write fanfiction (yes, I write fanfiction. I'm not one of these people who writes pr0n though so don't spit on me!) and I find it very fun to do.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 12:47 pm

It never has. I play a lot of pen and paper roleplaying games. When I played as the game master people always loved the worlds I created. I populated them with different cultures, religions, political groups, and unique customs for each race. You can't do that with no imagination. :wink:

Last edited by Todesking on 27 Jun 2011, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 12:49 pm

aspi-rant wrote:

What is theory of mind :?:

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 1:06 pm

nick007 wrote:
aspi-rant wrote:

What is theory of mind :?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_mind