Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AbleBaker
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Jul 2011, 1:08 am

I've had comments that I only realised later were based on a belief that I was gay but, like others have said, I don't go out with anybody so I don't know why they would think that.

cnidocyte
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2011, 1:21 am

Yeah the same thing happens to me. I have one real friend and he told me he thought I was gay because I never talk about girls. Hes the only person thats ever asked me if I was gay but I suspected other people thinking I was a good few times because of indirect comments they made. Its probably cuz I don't display normal body language towards females.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 3:23 am

Again, I'd stress that just because someone calls you gay doesn't mean they necessarily think you actually are!

That said, I do think there is a lot of suspicion that anyone who is "weird" is gay.

AbleBaker wrote:
I've had comments that I only realised later were based on a belief that I was gay but, like others have said, I don't go out with anybody so I don't know why they would think that.

I think the assumption is that if you were straight you'd be openly going out with people of the gender you're "expected" to go out with, so you must be gay. (Most people don't really see possibilities beyond gay and straight and maybe bi.)

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 3:36 am

Once my mother asked me outright if I was gay. I denied it and got so aggrieved I didn't talk to her for a day. The fact is that I'm straight and hadn't got a real girlfriend for 36 years.

I've noticed that at least a suspicion surrounds me that I'm gay. One of my co-workers outright asked me if I was one too. I'm sure this is because I don't talk, do body language the same way as others, and I'm shy, awkward, and reserved with girls unless I want them to do something not sexual, in which case I can be rather assertive.

I don't like homophobia, but I don't dare to speak much on their defense either. People here tend to be prejudicial.

YoshiPikachu
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 8:54 am

Nobody has never asked me if I am lesbian. I am in fact not I don't even like looking at my own female body let alone someone else's. My mom did ask my brother if he was gay, which is stupid, he likes girls, and the only reason she asked him that is because his dad is gay.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 10:13 am

When I was in high school, people including my dad, were convinced I was gay. I imagine some people still think I am gay. Another thing is that people assume I am asexual. That is because I don't usually flirt or hit on women. If you aren't actively pursuing a relationship or talking about sex, people tend to think you are gay. Also, I don't fit gender stereotypes. I even thought I was gay for a while, because everybody else kept telling me I was gay. I'm not gay. I can probably identify as bisexual, though my overwhelming preference is women. I guess you could say I am heterosexual but not exclusively heterosexual. I hate the labels society uses because they are misleading. Gay/Straight/Bisexual. It's like there are three positions to be in. The reality is more of a continuum. There are also people who have sex with the gender they do not prefer. What about lesbians or gays who get married and have kids? Then come out of the closet later? In a homophobic society, I guess it can be upsetting if someone assumes you are gay and you are not. I don't care anymore, because I have gotten over my homophobia. Also, I am older. Adults are less overt with their prejudices and suspicions. They want to be polite or politically correct, it seems like. In high school it sucked though.

Koko23
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Jul 2011, 2:00 pm

Yeah I've gotten that a few times.

Lesbian: my girlfriend and I were talking... do you think maybe you're gay?
Me: no, but I think maybe you're not. Why do you talk so much about how hot the boys think you are when you make out with your girlfriend at parties?

WOW she got mad at me. wtf?

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2011, 6:04 pm

I have had that happen to me also.

Ipsen42
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jul 2011, 7:07 am

Same thing here, although the last few years it hasn't been much of a problem.

But of the 5 people who ever hit on me 3 were gay guys. When I turned them down they seemed to think I was still in the closet about it.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 3:54 am

Because of my Baltic ancestry, I am incredibly good looking, hence, the only possible reason in the world Ive never got a girlfriend must be because Iam Gay, is the asinine logic of the NT,.

Quite why the same logic doesnt assume I must be hetrosexual because Ive never got a boyfriend is beyond me.

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 6:04 am

Right now I'm in a period in my life where I'm not interested at all in a couple. I'm fully involved with some personal projects for which I feel eager, that fullfill me and I couldn't date a girl without looking at the clock and thinking 'damn, I'm wasting my time' and having my mind elsewhere.

I'm very aware that some people that haven't known me for long think that I'm gay because of that. I had quite a few comments about the subject.

But honestly, I don't see where is the issue.

EDIT s**t, I'm realizing now that this a thread from 2011 8O

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 6:52 am

I've had people think I was gay before but it was usually men that I turned down. Apparently not wanting to have sex with them means I must be gay.

I don't really care what people think my sexuality is. I don't even have sex anyways.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 7:59 am

RonWren wrote:
People call me gay too. Apparently reading a Japanese newspaper in the United States is something typical of homosexuals... No... not really, but that's why I'm called gay, because I like Japanese things. Seriously, society? What the heck! I mean, what? Where does that conclusion come from!? Hobby = gay? Really!? UGH! The world is just... just so dumb! :x

I hear ya. I am fairly often accused of being gay because I'm a DJ who plays electronic dance music (techno, house, trance, etc). :roll:

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 8:53 am

Despite having an "extreme male brain" gender, I look feminine and am not gay. I do remember once I used to go to a particular nightclub with a friend and she told me the doorman/bouncer asked her if I was a lesbian because I never used to take men home at the end of the night like some of the females did. But that's just ignorance in the extreme and male chauvinism, because what an ego to think that if you don't behave like a slapper you must be a lesbian because how on earth could you resist a man otherwise!

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 8:57 am

DJFester wrote:
RonWren wrote:
People call me gay too. Apparently reading a Japanese newspaper in the United States is something typical of homosexuals... No... not really, but that's why I'm called gay, because I like Japanese things. Seriously, society? What the heck! I mean, what? Where does that conclusion come from!? Hobby = gay? Really!? UGH! The world is just... just so dumb! :x

I hear ya. I am fairly often accused of being gay because I'm a DJ who plays electronic dance music (techno, house, trance, etc). :roll:

You're gay :mrgreen:

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2013, 10:09 am

whirlingmind wrote:
Despite having an "extreme male brain" gender, I look feminine and am not gay. I do remember once I used to go to a particular nightclub with a friend and she told me the doorman/bouncer asked her if I was a lesbian because I never used to take men home at the end of the night like some of the females did. But that's just ignorance in the extreme and male chauvinism, because what an ego to think that if you don't behave like a slapper you must be a lesbian because how on earth could you resist a man otherwise!

WTF?? How did this bouncer come to the conclusion that he did? I don't get it.