Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

02 Jul 2011, 4:01 pm

SuperTrouper wrote:
I have three "true" friends; two of them are gazillions of miles away (one, I've never even met, but she's my BFF and so NOT just an internet friend!). I have a handful of friends over the internet too. I don't want any more friends, no way, but I also do need people. I don't like to sit by myself in my apartment all the time. Just like I like to go out but struggle because of my panic attacks, I want to have friends but don't quite know how. Autism isn't equivalent to desiring social isolation, at least not for everyone.

This is true. I love being physically socially isolated, and I can go for long periods of time without talking to people at all, but I think life would be pretty shallow without other people to interact with ever.

Severus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 4:15 pm

Yep, I am really happy by myself, thank you very much. My needs for communication are quickly satisfied, and they surface rarely anyway. I need a lot of alone time and have no problem spending hours or days all by myself.
Apart from my nuclear family, I have two friends, of which one is online-only, and this is enough for me. I couldn't manage more anyway.

Last edited by Severus on 02 Jul 2011, 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 4:20 pm

Yes I am incredibly happy by myself. My life has been so miserable, being around toxic people.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 4:32 pm

Usually. Somewhere between 95 and 99% of the time.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 4:41 pm

I enjoy to have a companion, as in a partner, but not to have friends really.
I feel alone in groups of people and my social anxiety etc, prevents me interracting in those situations anyway.
But I am happy enough with a single person to spend time with.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 4:45 pm

I'm happy being alone, but also happy when I'm interacting in a meaningful way with other people. It's different kinds of happiness for me, and I need the former much more than I need the latter.

gazinator1990
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jul 2011, 5:13 pm

I'd love to just be able to click a button and get rid of everyone for a few hours whenever I wanted! So long as they came back though.
Im happy late at night by myself walking around my local area, watching the foxes and badgers running around the woods, but in the day time when the same area is full of people and loud noises, I hate it. I want them all to go away. I'd quite happily drive through the night, every night, for absolutely no reason other than the roads are almost deserted at night time and no one can try to talk to me in a car!
I can do chit chat and meetings for a few hours but its a struggle most of the time. No one I know understands that, they always say m, you must get so bored! Arent you ever lonely? And when my answer is no to both, they think I'm weird.

nikki15
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jul 2011, 5:27 pm

I'm alone most of the time, and I'm fine with that.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 6:45 pm

Not happy I would say but I function a whole lot better when I'm by myself. Even when I'm hanging with my AS friend it's far too difficult for me and I get stressed out a lot. And I seriously believe that I've developed more intellectual thought being alone and jobless now than I ever had in college being surrounded by people 24/7.

The downside of being alone is having my thoughts consumed by the terrible things that always happen to me whenever I'm around me. With people, I get distracted but bad things tend to happen in the process for me to remember later. So it's kinda a catch-22.

Last edited by raisedbyignorance on 02 Jul 2011, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 6:48 pm

raisedbyignorance wrote:
Not happy I would say but I function a whole lot better when I'm by myself. Even when I'm hanging with my AS friend it's far too difficult for me and I get stressed out a lot. And I seriously believe that I've developed more intellectual thought being alone and jobless now than I ever had in college being surrounded by people 24/7.

Yeah, I definitely feel that my intellectual functioning goes way down in the presence of other people, especially in groups. The whole "let's brainstorm together to come up with ideas" thing is a total fail for me.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2011, 7:14 pm

Right now, ish....

In college, I probably will be....

Later on in life, I hope I won't be single!

DragonKazooie89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2011, 7:22 pm

I'm usually quite happy by myself. When I want some one to talk to I either play video games online or just see who's open to chat online,