Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 6:19 am

So does that make me an NT? I am asking because a friend told me that.

The-Raven
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 6:28 am

no I hate anime and cartoons too!

they are not realistic so if anything it makes us more aspie!

Give me a good documentary anytime 8)

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 6:35 am

your friend is apperantly quite ignorant about autism/AS
even though the love for anime is widespread along the ASD community; it is in no way 'required' to be considered on the spectrum; two random aspies are more different from each other then two random NT's.

Orannis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jun 2011, 7:50 am

Personally, one of the reasons I like anime is because the emotions are exaggerated to the point that even we can tell. Nuances that could be easily lost in something live action are pretty much pointed out in anime.

The Cat: You must be. Or you wouldn't have come here.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 8:48 am

Chummy, things like these are merely stereotypes or generalisations. Everyone on the autistic spectrum is different in some way or another within the similarities of being on the spectrum.
I do not take interest in anime either.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 8:54 am

I've never had a taste for anime either. You are not NT just because you don't have a (very minor) trait that's common among aspergics.

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2011, 9:03 am

Chummy wrote:
So does that make me an NT? I am asking because a friend told me that.

Anybody can hate cartoons and anime, not just NT's. I don't have a strong taste in anime either. Depending on the show at least.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 9:23 am

i hate anime also, i prefer like simpson or american dad over anime.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 9:32 am

I love cartoons and animation in general. I used to be obsessed with anime too, but I'm not as easily impressed with it anymore. To me, the animation quality just isn't as high, and that makes it harder for me to get as absorbed into it.

As for not liking it, nope, I don't think that makes you NT. Not meeting the diagnostic criteria would probably do that... :wink: If you have special interests that are not related to anime or cartoons, I wouldn't worry about why. You don't have to be a cookie cutter modern Aspie.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 11:47 am

You must be very sad.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 12:00 pm

Diagnostic Criteria for 299.80 Asperger's Disorder

[The following is from Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM IV]
(I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity
(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:
(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects
(E) Must love cartoons or anime

(III) The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

(IV) There is no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

(V) There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

(VI) Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia."

[/joke]

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 12:11 pm

I hate anime it all looks alike to me. Adults who like seem very childish to me. But I do love some American and European 2D cell animation. I am a fantic about stop-motion animation.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2011, 1:37 pm

I don't like anime. I've tried to watch it once or twice with a friend I used to have but I can't focus on it. I also don't care for most video games. I do love The Simpsons (I can watch that for hours) and I also enjoy some of those other cartoons like Family Guy & Futurama.

mb1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Jun 2011, 5:53 pm

I've tried watching Anime, but I just can't get into it. I do enjoy cartoons though, generally more than I enjoy watching real people.

Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

FearOfMusic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 6:21 pm

The only cartoon I really enjoy is Futurama. I never really have enjoyed anime though, it just doesn't interest me. In middle school and high school I think this kind of made get rejected by the nerds/geeks that I should have been able to socialize with better. :roll: I was always just solely interested in computers and not anime, dungeons & dragons, LAN parties, etc that seemed to be typical of the nerd/geek clique at school growing up.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2011, 7:20 pm

I never did care for anime. That's probably because it became popular after my time.