The sounds did not come together to form words

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 3:43 pm

I was on the phone with billing for a company, and large amounts of time when the lady spoke, the sounds did not come together to form words. It was unreal. I could hear each individual phoneme, but they did not merge appropriately to form words. Luckily, I haven't had problems since getting off that phone call.

Also, last night, I messed up my key, but then I finally got it right. But when I got it right, and was opening the door, it seemed that someone else's hand was there holding the key and opening up the door. Ooh, spooky depersonalization.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 4:07 pm

Sounds like stress or extreme tiredness. That's the only time I've ever experienced either of these.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2013, 4:45 pm

I experience this type of thing frequently. It typically lasts under one minute, and it happens with all of my senses simultaneously. I cannot distinguish between noises and speech, or attach meaning to familiar sights. It is extremely unsettling. Picking one thing to focus on until I can properly think again is how I handle it in the moment.

I believe mine is anxiety related and may be related to panic attacks. An NT friend of mine suggested this as she thought it sounded like her anxiety, just worded in the way I speak.

Getting extra sleep and general self-care seems to help the most.

schizoid26
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Oct 2013, 7:21 pm

Depersonalization has happened to me a few times, I forget who I am for a few seconds. Out of body, almost.