Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TomMe
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jun 2011, 10:53 am

Hi guys! Where to start.. I guess I am wondering where I fit in on the autism spectrum. :)

On the one hand I've always felt like I am from another planet (that's what I googled to get here), but on the other hand I actually feel more normal than most other people.. But I DO have some aspects of autism that really make me wonder. For one, I can relate to greenturtle74's cartoon there, except for the face blindness and humor (I love comedy and can be quite funny myself..uhum). I often feel like my nervous system is being overloaded by sensory input, especially noise and crowds. I'm introverted, I like to be on my own most of the time and have social anxiety. And a psychiatrist once told me that he thinks I may have Asperger's..

But I feel normal! I can understand the intricate nuances of social behavior, although I DO have issues with applying them. Maybe that's just due to my social anxiety? Or maybe it's the other way around.. I don't know. I can read between the lines, I'm a fast learner and have no real obsessions or things that I am specialized in.

I've been categorized as a highly sensitive person by a psychologist once. Maybe that's what's really going on with me (or maybe something entirely different). But I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who has been diagnosed with some form of autism and who can relate to what I am saying.

Thanks for reading.

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jun 2011, 12:09 pm

welcome home

add in getting diagnosed with ADHD when you were younger and it sounds pretty familiar.

"For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential"
Hans Asperger

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 2:19 pm

I'm from Earth, because I believe in the saying ''there's naught so queer as folk''.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

12 Jun 2011, 8:16 pm

Earth.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

12 Jun 2011, 10:32 pm

This is the first hurdle that the newly diagnosed have to cross.
It is called an autism "spectrum" disorder for a reason...there are no cookie cutter autistics running around. We are all different as night and day as ASD's expresses itself in sooo many different ways. It can be hard sometimes for those diagnoising us to narrow it down whether or not we have it because we dont always "act autistic".

It really is a continum from the Low functiong autistic who is mentally chanlleged and unble to take care of himself/herself, to the aspie law student who reads too much into what people are saying with no tollerance for small talk and general stupidity. There are vast differences between us all along the middle.

btw welcome to wrongplanet!! !

Jojo

PinkRangerV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jun 2011, 12:53 am

What you're feeling is called 'different symptoms'. :p Mine are really weird too--I fit none of the classic math-based stuff, and instead I'm an English\Sociology major. But if you like it here, stick around!

As for what planet you're from, well, I like to pretend I'm from Daos, the warrior school-planet for children of the Dark Court, a vast intra-galactic empire...but that's just me. :p What about you? What planet do you want to be from? :)

...Wait, was that question about which planet you're from serious? Aghh. Now I'm confused. :?

ci
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 1:38 am

I want to combine the law student, silly human behavior and a quack all in one.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 8:34 am

ci wrote:

Based on your posts, some might say you are succeeding in this goal rather well. :lol: *

*Meant as friendly teasing - no offense, expressed or implied, is intended.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 10:47 am

:lol: It is not pretend. The words anal, retentive and humor come to mind.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 11:05 am

ci wrote:

like that judge on Night Court?

ci
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 11:07 am

I do not recall.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 11:38 am

TomMe wrote:
But I feel normal!

Of course you do. You are normal. It's just that so many other people around you act and speak so strangely and illogically, with their small talk and social games :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 11:40 am

I'm from a planet where AS is to be accepted and not abolished.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 11:41 am

The best way to do that is to abolish the label words but not the people.

Tinman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jun 2011, 11:58 am

If you figure out which planet it is...
let me know, so we can start working out a plan to get back there.

JWS
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2011, 12:07 pm

I'm from Earth though sometimes I feel like I was born outside this galaxy! :)