Page 1 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Would you support an autistic town or city?
Yes, and I'd move there 24%  24%  [ 19 ]
Yes, but I wouldn't move there because I don't have the means 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, but I wouldn't move there for some other reason 10%  10%  [ 8 ]
Yes, and I'd become very involved in it 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
I'd have to see the specifics of the city 15%  15%  [ 12 ]
I'd have to see who's running it 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'd have to think about it 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
I'd have to see if it's working out 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
No 30%  30%  [ 24 ]
Obligatory other option 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 79

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 3:49 am

Simple question: Would you support a town run by autistics where 80% or more of the people are autistic or parents/spouses of autistics?

Naturally, neurotypicals wouldn't be excluded from living there, but those that aren't autistic or living with autistics would be discouraged from moving there and there would be incentives for autistics to move there (aside from almost guaranteed employment).

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 3:55 am

That would be a pretty interesting experiment. Perhaps we could even build our own Mondragon-styled co-op corporation to provide us all with employment

Helixstein
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 3:57 am

Certainly not. It would be separating people from society for merely have a disorder. Frankly, I consider it to be a ludicrous concept.

MrLoony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 4:03 am

Vigilans wrote:
That would be a pretty interesting experiment. Perhaps we could even build our own Mondragon-styled co-op corporation to provide us all with employment

Well, yes, there would be a company made that would own all the apartments, supermarkets, bakeries, etc. I think there would have to be a NPO owned by the corporation, though, and that would handle the incentives and disincentives (for autistics and neurotypicals, respectively).

Helixstein wrote:
Certainly not. It would be separating people from society for merely have a disorder. Frankly, I consider it to be a ludicrous concept.

Well, the point would not be to separate autistics. There are 60 million autistics in the world. This town or city would hold, at most, a few hundred thousand of them. The idea would be that there is a place where autistics are not the minority. I think that a lot of the things that are considered disabilities in autism are because of that.

By the way, I meant to click that I'd get very involved in it, but I forgot that I added that as an option... oops.

Nosirrom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 4:15 am

I would want to give it a chance. We may be more productive together. We are already better at communicating with ourselves.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 5:12 am

It would need a lot of careful planning to make it work well, the problem is that some people with AS might not be compatable with other AS people. As the special interests of some of the autists might cause friction with the others.

For example, the physical science aspies might think it is great fun to build a gaint tesla coil, vast Marx generators or interesting gadgets which might cause electrical chaos. The computer nerd aspies might have their PCs crashed by the effects of these gadgets. The computer nerds might irk the others by crashing the TV transmitter during their experiments. The TV addicts might also cause friction with some of the others. You can imagine how it could go wrong.

Also what about the penal code, what if one aspie does something to harm the interests of another. What should we do when one aspie rapes, murders, punchs or defames another one. Some aspies might be willing to hang criminals from the lamp posts while others might be more forgiving. Would we want hanging judge Jeffreys or would we want a more liberal judge ?

Also how such the taxes and other money matters be arranged. Also how should the govermemt work. Should we give all aspies equal political rights. Would those with HFA / AS be willing to give the vote to people with LFA ? This question about political rights could be just as big an issue as the rights for women was in the UK in the early 20th century.

Also what building and planning codes should the town have, the problem with special interests is that "one man's meat is another man's poison". A building which relates to one aspie's special interest might not be universally popular with the others.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

donnie_darko
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 5:16 am

I think it's an interesting idea, however, aren't autistic people likely to have NT children?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 7:28 am

I would.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 7:46 am

Other.

I can't wrap my brain around the idea. In any practical sense, it would be nearly impossible to achieve. Because of that I'm having a hard time grok-ing the idea.

emjay89
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jan 2011, 7:53 am

what about an autistic electorate? 50% + 1 of the electorate has to be autistic.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 9:34 am

Aspieville. That has a ring to it.

Or Aspine. We already have Aspen Colo. Why not Aspine?

ruveyn

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 9:45 am

I'd have to see how it works out before I support it. Otherwise I would say no.

claudia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jan 2011, 9:53 am

Woodpecker wrote:
It would need a lot of careful planning to make it work well, the problem is that some people with AS might not be compatable with other AS people. As the special interests of some of the autists might cause friction with the others.

For example, the physical science aspies might think it is great fun to build a gaint tesla coil, vast Marx generators or interesting gadgets which might cause electrical chaos. The computer nerd aspies might have their PCs crashed by the effects of these gadgets. The computer nerds might irk the others by crashing the TV transmitter during their experiments. The TV addicts might also cause friction with some of the others. You can imagine how it could go wrong.

Also what about the penal code, what if one aspie does something to harm the interests of another. What should we do when one aspie rapes, murders, punchs or defames another one. Some aspies might be willing to hang criminals from the lamp posts while others might be more forgiving. Would we want hanging judge Jeffreys or would we want a more liberal judge ?

Also how such the taxes and other money matters be arranged. Also how should the govermemt work. Should we give all aspies equal political rights. Would those with HFA / AS be willing to give the vote to people with LFA ? This question about political rights could be just as big an issue as the rights for women was in the UK in the early 20th century.

Also what building and planning codes should the town have, the problem with special interests is that "one man's meat is another man's poison". A building which relates to one aspie's special interest might not be universally popular with the others.

But, it should be a city, not a state... Penal and civil code depends on the State, and also vote. And why should LFA be excluded from vote? Disabled people are not excluded from vote. If only normal (or high functioning, pardon) people had to vote... who's completely normal? Few people should vote...

Ariela
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jan 2011, 10:16 am

No. we would drive each other crazy.

bucephalus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2011, 10:42 am

When you consider some autistic people's skills it would probably become one of the wealthiest settlements in the world. Only by then it will get flooded with neurotypical people and then there will be conflict over discrimination against non-disabled people

DGuru
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jan 2011, 10:55 am

That would be an interesting social experiment, and pretty easy to do. Just like the "Free Staters" are doing(for those who don't know the "Free State" movement is a libertarian movement encouraging mass migration to the state of Vermont in order to change the political climate) a website could be set where Aspies promise to move to a town if enough people agree. Of course just as with the Free State project it could not be legally binding, but the idea would be that enough people would promise so even if some don't make good on it there would be a significant number of people going.

It would be a town run by political junkies. That could be good since the politicians would actually know what they're doing and be less persuaded by special interests. But that could be bad if someone is unwilling to compromise on some "pet policy" they want to push through and it causes gridlock.