Here's my story, proud to be aspie if I am

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

mcdwg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Aug 2011, 1:40 am

first off let me say I am so glad to have found this place, it feels so comforting to know that I am not alone.

Let me tell you my story, sorry if I bore you to death, I just want to get it off my chest and have it out there.

As a kid I was always reclusive, I was good at school but very very shy. The only outlet for me was soccer, I obsessed with learning soccer after the 1986 world cup to the point that I would practice one skill for hours and I became very good at it so that is the only way I made friends, sometimes I would make it my goal not to talk to anyone at all, I don't think I ever made. By the way this happened when I was in El Salvador so diagnosis was out of the question, people just thought that i was shy, it's funny that I was made the class president just because I did what i was supposed to do but I never wanted it at all so it was taken from me a few weeks later which i didn't care. Another obsession I had was to learn all the countries in the world and their capital, I think i made it once I did that I wanted to find out exactly how many people were in that country, it took me a while but I think I made it.

At parties I never socialized with anyone, once my gandpa asked me how come I was so quite why wasn't i the same as my other cousin who was like a trouble maker, and I didn't say anything. To me it is also interesting that my childhood years seem in my memory as pictures but not as moving scenes, I don't know if that has to do with development or what it is. Girls were out of the question for me, I considered myself ugly in the first place so I never approached any girl, I was interested though in a couple of them but never had the courage or even the thought of talking to them.

Then i moved to the US when I was 14, another thing that I noticed is that detaching from my life in El Salvador was easy for me, I didn't feel too bad leaving, now that I think about I have wondered why, I spent 14 years in my life there but felt very excited to leave even though I had a nice childhood, had my dog, my toys, i have noticed ever since that detaching from a place, individuals, things has been easy for me.

So I made it to the US and again the only way I made friends was by playing soccer otherwise I was always a loner. Another interesting thing is that some girls were actually interested in me and I think it was because i was very quiet, like a mystery guy who played soccer really good but was very quiet. I talked to these girls but deep inside I was afraid of developing a relationship, so all in all I think it was a good thing that I was very quiet because I never got in trouble.

During High School I discovered that I liked writing or the teachers liked my writing, I was offered to take college classes but i wasn't interested. To this day, I could have a writing assignment due in three weeks and i could actually write my paper the day before and I can usually get a b on it, it's happened many times. I have found out that if i like something I would or probably will learn that as much as possible to the point of obsession like writing, soccer, now I'm into astral projection and I have to say I enjoy it as well. Now if I don't like something, it doesn't matter how much I try I will not get it, i just won't.

After High School I joined the Marines, it was an impulse on my part, I went to boot camp and I had a lot of trouble following simple instructions but here's the funny part. I scored the highest on all my tests that I had to pass like combat swimming, rifle shooting, academics, uniform inspection and many more but the everyday routine and the daily tasks i was always in trouble trying to figure out the instructions.

During my first ten years I was always following orders so it was ok for me I knew how to do that but now that I am in my 15th year and I have to give orders and be in a leadership position is when I am struggling with because the interaction has to be more, socializing is a must and being on the spot is an everyday thing so I am having trouble with that, I can follow orders, do my job, go with the flow when it comes to actually doing work but when it comes to downtime when everyone is just joking and not doing much is when I have trouble fitting in because I just don't care for it, I just don't like socializing, I rather be alone and I feel good

This is some of my story, i have more but it would take a book to write

Thank you

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

02 Aug 2011, 2:30 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet! It could be a possibility, but a self-diagnosis won't get you far. If you want to know for sure, you need to see a professional.

Hope you enjoy this website, and it's good to see someone who's proud of themselves, even if they are quirky. :)

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 2:56 am

The only thing a diagnosis would be good for is a second opinion, especially in your situation. Don't expect to get an accurate second opinion here though; it's impossible to diagnose someone over the internet. It took me probably at least 400 hours of researching AS (mostly on the internet) before I could reach a conclusion without doubting myself, and that's not to mention 4 whole months of sleepless nights of self analysis. Judging by one post is nearly impossible in comparison.

That being said, welcome to WP. You'll probably find some interesting things here; I know I have.

gnatterfly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2011, 7:36 am

Welcome, my friend! I'm sure you'll fit in great here! I remember my first post 8) It was truly a relief to find this place. I have the same writing abilities it seems. I am a full-time college student. I am given two-three weeks to write a paper, I write it the night before and always get an A. I have a 4.0 GPA and not the foggiest idea HOW because I wasn't allowed to go to school as a child. Nice to meet you, and no you are not alone :D

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 7:55 pm

Welcome to WP! I`m proud to be an Aspie too!