Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 5:58 am

I tend to keep my mouth open all day, even while eating, because I don't like the sensation of breathing from my nose. Even when I'm not congested, I think I'm going to suffocate. Then, I end up with bad gas (both ends)and my family thinks it's a food allergy. How do I prevent this?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 6:28 am

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
I tend to keep my mouth open all day, even while eating, because I don't like the sensation of breathing from my nose. Even when I'm not congested, I think I'm going to suffocate. Then, I end up with bad gas (both ends)and my family thinks it's a food allergy. How do I prevent this?
Try eliminating wheat and corn for a month and see if that helps.

Wreck It Ralph

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 10:13 am

Mouth breathing doesn't give you gas food does. It doesn't even have to be an allergy. Eat a lot of cheese, apples, onions, beans, sugar, peppers or fast food? Stress, beer, gum and smoking are other things that can give you gas.

jametto
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2013, 10:49 am

Drink filtered water and strictly eat nothing but steamed green veggies (no starches) and by day 3 you should be able to tell. Assuming you're not allergic to greens which is incredibly rare (organic is wise too as antibiotics and gmo's can trigger an immune response setting you back). And no meds, smokes, drugs or supplements etc. I've made it a week at most on this cleanse and felt better everyday overall (simultaneous ups and downs). I'm 24 thought I had no allergies my whole life, some months ago I finally got around to a skin prick ige test and turns out I'm allergic to almost every food on the list. Honestly on that cleanse I can notice a difference on the first day, you'll feel entirely outside your head. You'll want to allow more time at first tho as you won't notice the subtleties. Don't keep this diet up without consulting a nutritionist (iodine and omega 3 for example are not in these foods). If you want to try and improve the autism side of things make sure to avoid all daily stresses as well and maintain a good calm mood. You'll feel so fresh and in a state of well being you won't know yourself. Your body can actually switch off the endocrine system for once in its life and stop feeling like a chicken that's about to go on the chopping block.

People who say diet doesn't contribute to ASD are plain stupid and offensive. Blatantly dismiss the science of epigenetics, or anything that contradicts their opinion/desire to be for that matter.

Opi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2013, 10:57 am

or, if you have resources and don't feel like eliminating foods to find out, you could always go in for food allergy testing. another option is to try eating probiotics to get your intestines well-populated for more efficient digestion.

i notice a huge difference in how my body functions (including my brain) according to what i eat, especially as i get older.

24 - HSP / ADD Quiz- 41, Inattention: 24, Hyperactive/Impulsive: 17
"Odd and different is beautiful" -- Tyra Banks

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 10:57 am

jametto wrote:
.. People who say diet doesn't contribute to ASD are plain stupid and offensive. Blatantly dismiss the science of epigenetics, or anything that contradicts their opinion/desire to be for that matter.

Who was saying anything about that? Angry much? Calling people stupid who don't agree with you does not win your argument. Sounds like you're the one who has the problem with people contradicting your opinion.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 12:10 pm

Hmm, I don't always agree with certain foods making you fart. Once I had a lot of mints and had a funny stomach that night, and it happened another night when I had too many mints so I assumed it was the mints that were giving me an upset stomach. Then a couple of weeks later I had the same mints again (a lot of them) and my stomach was fine that night. Also I eat a lot of the types of food that people always say gives you gas, like apples, baked beans, vegetables, etc, but it hardly ever gives me gas.

I do burp every time I eat a meal. Once I tried to eat slowly with my mouth closed and I swallowed slowly and took my time - but I still felt relieved after a good burp.

Bodies are strange.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 12:21 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Hmm, I don't always agree with certain foods making you fart. Once I had a lot of mints and had a funny stomach that night, and it happened another night when I had too many mints so I assumed it was the mints that were giving me an upset stomach. Then a couple of weeks later I had the same mints again (a lot of them) and my stomach was fine that night. Also I eat a lot of the types of food that people always say gives you gas, like apples, baked beans, vegetables, etc, but it hardly ever gives me gas.

I do burp every time I eat a meal. Once I tried to eat slowly with my mouth closed and I swallowed slowly and took my time - but I still felt relieved after a good burp.

Bodies are strange.

Some people are affected and some aren't. Like some people get really bad gas from milk sugar and other people like me have no problems with it.