aren't ret*d people the opposite of autistic people?

Page 7 of 9 [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 7:36 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Define "ret*d". It means slowed or delayed.

We all have developmental delays and autism is a developmental delay.

I wonder why people think "ret*d" means "low IQ".
Low IQ isn't a delay. It's usually permanent.

Valid point

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 7:39 pm

It's odd that autistic people point fingers at groups with low IQ, as if they are the original "ret*ds".
If you go by the dictionary definition it's us and not them.

I'm not saying that anyone should be called a ret*d but I'm pretty pedantic about language.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 7:46 pm

cyberdad wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Valid point

What "point" has she made?

She didnt make ANY points. She was just playing word games. Admits to that herself. Lol!

After World War Two the medical community decided to replace words like "imbecil", and "moron" (actual clinical terms before that) with the fancy French word for "delayed".

Low IQ folks were labeled this new French word for "delayed".

Autistic folks are indeed "delayed" in learning social skills, and in meeting certain life milestones. So yes autistics could be called "delayed", or "ret*d".

But that was, and is, not, how the word R word is used. It means "low IQ".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 8:45 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Valid point

What "point" has she made?

The point is that for many on the spectrum, autism is a developmental delay.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 8:49 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
It's odd that autistic people point fingers at groups with low IQ, as if they are the original "ret*ds".

Watching the posts on this forum from 2011 to 2022 I can conclude that it's got to do with being self-consicious. In the period between 2011-2013 there was a disproportionate number of posts from Aspies who were adamant they were not autistic and that Aspergers should remain a separate diagnosis. The stigma associated with autism back then was (I think) associated with the perception NTs would associate them with the r-word

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 8:50 pm

“ret*d” or “ret*d” is not an insult via dictionary definition—but is an insult within “real-life” contexts.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 9:10 pm

To my knowledge, around 50% of Autistic folk fall into what used to be called the "low functioning" category & usually that is accompanied by a low IQ or at least, significant learning difficulties.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 9:12 pm

cyberdad wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Watching the posts on this forum from 2011 to 2022 I can conclude that it's got to do with being self-consicious. In the period between 2011-2013 there was a disproportionate number of posts from Aspies who were adamant they were not autistic and that Aspergers should remain a separate diagnosis. The stigma associated with autism back then was (I think) associated with the perception NTs would associate them with the r-word

That might be true, but neither Aspergers nor Autism are (necessarily) related to low IQ.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 9:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
“ret*d” or “ret*d” is not an insult via dictionary definition—but is an insult within “real-life” contexts.

I don't mind being called ret*d if it's said by literate people who know what it means.
I wouldn't want to be called "a ret*d" though.
There's a big difference in the connotation.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 9:31 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
To my knowledge, around 50% of Autistic folk fall into what used to be called the "low functioning" category & usually that is accompanied by a low IQ or at least, significant learning difficulties.

Low functioning is a broad brush. It doesn't mean intelligence alone. For example when my daughter started primary school she was mostly non-verbal but she was smart so they called her "high functioning autistic (or HFA). Today the term is more used to describe somebody who might have been diagnosed with Aspergers pre-2013

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 9:35 pm

I'm diagnosed Level 2 with extremely low functioning scores like 1st and 2nd percentile.
They didn't do a full IQ test but my verbal was 25th and nonverbal was 5th.
I consider myself intelligent and I'm highly educated.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2022, 9:38 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm diagnosed Level 2 with extremely low functioning scores like 1st and 2nd percentile.

Yeah my daughter also considers herself "smart" :D

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 2:26 am

When I was younger there were two ways to use "ret*d" when describing a person. As an insult commonly used by schoolyard bullies. And as an accepted medical condition as shown in these below.

Today "ret*d" is not often used to describe people but is often used to describe actions or decisions made by people. A lot of times the implication is that the person is a ret*d, but not necessarily so. This is what happens when we cave into bullies. What was a mixed implication term becomes a wholly colloquial insult term.

OTOH "ret*d" when describing a person has always been an insult.

"This policy if implemented will ret*d economic growth" is acceptable usage. For now.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 3:26 am

I was called ret*d a lot growing up and I always took it literal. I don't know anymore if kids truly thought I was ret*d or if they were using it as an insult.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 4:15 am

I'd very much like to see a system based on support needs as opposed to IQ. One that takes into account adaptive functioning <IQ. I do badly adaptive functioning wise compared to what might be expected based on my intelligence level. That has not helped re the treatment I've. received as a person with a chronic and severe mental illness. It took decades for how things actually are, rather than how MH professionals demanded they should be, to be acknowledged. That meant decades of very negative comments and sod all help and support for the things I struggled with .

It's too late to fix the damage caused to me. I have to live with the effects as best I can, but it would be good if in the future people like me weren't subjected to the crap I've been subjected to over the years, as an autistic and severely mentally ill person.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 4:23 am

cyberdad wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Yeah my daughter also considers herself "smart" :D

Well...so do you.

And ironically...so do her bullying classmates. Theyre in awe of her, and probably envy her intellect...even as they hurl the R word at her as an insult.

My sixth grade classmates were much the same. In fact my sixth grade classmates felt so guilty about having given me a hard time over the length of the school year that they...collectively pooled their money together to buy me an expensive present to make up for it-which they presented to me on the last day of school.

Guess what the present was.

A chemistry set, with a microscope.

Thats how they thought of me ...as a brainiac...who was a ret*d. Go figure.