aren't ret*d people the opposite of autistic people?

Page 9 of 9 [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 3:25 pm

There are MR people who are very much into sex. Sometimes, sexual frustration is at the crux of challenging behaviors.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2022, 4:26 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There are MR people who are very much into sex. Sometimes, sexual frustration is at the crux of challenging behaviors.

It's all about odds and likelihood, not absolutes or guarantees. Three for three? That was no coincidence.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 5:17 pm

I'm not criticizing you for your choices; let me emphasize that.

And I have nothing against asexuality, per se. There are times when I sort of wish I was asexual.

But it is a fact that not all MR folks are averse to sex, or have little desire for sex. Some have a "normal" sex drive.

There was a show called "Life Goes On," back in the late 80s, where there was a romantic couple who both had Down Syndrome. There was no sex portrayed, certainly---but the sparks were certainly there.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2022, 9:26 pm

I've seen every episode of "Life Goes On." I've read of real-life married couples both with DS. There was also a movie, I think starring Meredith Baxter, about a real-life MR couple who wanted to marry but were warned not to, but they did. There was more uproar when they decided to have a baby. The baby turned out "normal" and ultimately got a college degree. Can't recall the name, but if you dig up Meredith Baxter on IMDB, you'll find it. I think it came out in the '80s. So yes, I'm certainly not saying MR adults don't have sex drive. There was the woman at the group home who was on birth control. There was another couple who lived in the home who were in a relationship; she was on birth control.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 11:45 pm

I’m a person of “normal” intelligence who has never made sex mandatory within a relationship.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 11:51 pm

My SIL had Downs Syndrome and was married to a man who was considered MR.
They had a very healthy sex life.
Of course that doesn't mean squat.
Other couples might have more or less of a sex drive.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 1:12 am

I think any from of personal relationship (particularly romantic) could be a conflict of interest (even if it's asexual) when you are employed to take care of a client but that's ultimately up to your employer.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 4:49 am

If you wanna a ....NON sexual ...relationship with a creature of lower intelligence than you then...adopt a cocker spaniel. :roll:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 6:11 am

naturalplastic wrote:
If you wanna a ....NON sexual ...relationship with a creature of lower intelligence than you then...adopt a cocker spaniel. :roll:

I'm sure there's at least one autistic cocker spaniel reading this thread reacting like "how dare he refer to us as creatures of lower intelligence"

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 9:44 am

Asexuality exists in all humans. People with Mild IDs have sex or they wouldn't be married with kids. Two disabled couples with mild IDs also have sex. Asexuality has nothing to do with IQ. Heck even those with very low IQ also do sexual behaviors but they may not understand why they can't do it in public or go up to women and grope them or go up to any random woman. Their IQ is too low for them to understand why this makes women uncomfortable and they are too low intelligent to even understand this. I think this is the caretaker's job to ensure women will be safe around them and to not take them to where there will be lot of women or perhaps restrict taking them out in public so they do not end up on the sex offender registry. The judge will only care about keeping women safe so he will do this as a way to protect women. That also means he is restricted where he can live if there is a school, nearby or if a daycare opens up, you have to move.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Adamantus
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Nov 2022, 11:45 am

It's impossible to say really. Is an orange the opposite of an apple?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 5:11 pm

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

I'm sure there's at least one autistic cocker spaniel reading this thread reacting like "how dare he refer to us as creatures of lower intelligence"

Cats think that way. Not dogs.

Any cocker spaniel that could read would respond to this thread by eagerly volunteering to be the lady's devouted companion.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 5:21 pm

Adamantus wrote:
It's impossible to say really. Is an orange the opposite of an apple?

probably the best response in this thread