Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jonnyeol
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jul 2006, 5:29 pm

One Aspi trait which I've always had an issue with is fabrics. I used to hate clothes shopping and still find it diffcult now. Certain fabrics feel uncomfortable against my skin and there's no way of telling until I've tried them on.

A major issue is finding 'smart' clothes. It took me AGES to find a smart suit for interviews that I found wearable (a department store brought in a 'soft touch' range) - most mens suits I find totally unwearable. Back in the days of school uniform, it was tricky to find a pair of trousers I found comfortable that still complied with rules. I also find it hard to wear most button-shirts or other tops without a T-shirt underneath.

How many of you have had similar problems, particularly where you've encountered unwearable fabrics as part of a uniform or other strict dress code? Any particular fabrics you have to avoid?

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 5:43 pm

Yeah, I get that a lot....

Steve_Cory
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 6:14 pm

I can't STAND the feel of 100% polyester shirts. I have a shirt that is a really neat shade of blue, and has a good logo on the front, but I can't wear it very often because it drives me crazy!

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 8:39 pm

I don't really like the feel of most wools.

Partly this may be because I am absolutley obsessed with smelling bearable.. and hot clothing tends to initiate B.O. Most pieces of clothing I can wear and be ok with, but when it comes to tight clothes rubbing off my underarm de-odourant or making me look fat I have an anxiety attack.

Tags and embroidery also make me itchy.

kc0eks
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2006, 8:51 pm

I have major issues with clothing, so much so that I currently have one pair of clothes (one shirt, one shorts) and I only wear that. I do wash it often, so i am far from a non clean person..(I hate being dirty)

I hate seams, most fabric, tightness, and many other things. I wear my socks inside out because the seems bother me. I have always hated pants. Shopping for clothes always has been a nightmare! My mom used to take me shopping for clothes and we would spend hours in the store and I would not find a single article of clothing that I felt was wearable. Clothing is not made for me, that is clear.

The second I get home everything but boxers comes off. I just hate wearing clothes. My mom tells me I have been like that since I was very little. Refusing to wear shoes, etc.

One thing I have done is to find jobs that allow me to wear something at least moderately comfortable. When I worked at Lowes I could wear whatever I wanted, just had to put that nice red vest over it. That worked fairly well.

Even saying all that, it only begins to describe the problems I have with clothing. I could write a book on the topic if I ever put my mind to it. Clothing is a constant stress source!

Im sure we will be seeing Kate on this thread soon... :)

Steve_Cory
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2006, 9:36 pm

Is there anyone else here who doesn't like polyester? :?

JulieArticuno
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jul 2006, 5:58 am

I prefer cotton 0r silk-but the cotton cannot be that raw rough type or too thin. Most nylon is anathema to me as well, I can only wear it if it;s nt touching my skin or if it's very light so I can barely feel it. The only exception is nylon velvet, although I prefer real velvet.

Tagsa vary, but most of them are an irritation-funnily enogh onluy recently have I rediscovered that I can cut them off, though that can be annoying as they often contain washing instructions although I've found 49 degrees C economy does Ok for most stuff.

Silk is my favorite material but alas! it's hard to find (and expensive if you do!

Julie

Fiat_Lux
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jul 2006, 10:51 am

Steve_Cory wrote:
Is there anyone else here who doesn't like polyester? :?

Were you around in the seventies? Nylon shirts, polyester suits - man-made fibres were absolutely everywhere. They were awful, but cheap.
Back to the original point, personally I don't have any real issues with fabrics.

Pi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jul 2006, 11:05 am

I have more problems with the fit of clothing than the fabrics. Except I prefer softer fabrics and ones with less tactilly-noticeable seams. But I have bigger problems with neck lines and the fit at the waist and how long the sleeves are if it's a t-shirt.

PrisonerSix
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 11:41 am

I didn't have an issue with specific fabrics, but did have a similar issue. I went to schools that didn't allow students to wear short pants so we always wore jeans or uniforms depending on the school.

During the summer time when the weather was hot, my parents would want me to wear short pants but the sensations of wind blowing on my legs and some other things touching them were uncomfortable to me so I didn't want to wear shorts. I wanted to wear long pants, even when it was 90F+ degrees outside. This drove my parents up the wall and we ended up in a never ending fight over short pants vs. long pants. If I was seen in long pants, I'd get screamed at, threatened, and sent back to my room to put on short pants. One summer they actually went as far as taking all the long pants out of my closet and telling me they had given them away and all I'd have from then on was shorts. When school started again, they gave the ones that still fit back and got my new clothes for school but still, it was a mean thing to do. The only way to combat the sensations was to try and stay indoors as much as possible, which my parents also had issue with, but that's another story for another time.

In later years, the discomfort did go away and I will wear shorts when it gets too hot, I still prefer long pants.

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 3:20 pm

I wear shorts and t-shirts around the year, in Iowa, enough said.

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

superfantastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 6:22 pm

Yeah. The problem for me isn't as much the feel of certain fabrics (although
most do feel uncomfortable), it's just that anything touching my torso, arms
and neck feels uncomfortable; so I use tank tops whenever I can (they touch
the least possible amount of skin while still being presentable).
Alas, they aren't allowed at school and aren't practical at all in winter (although I continue to wear them for as long as I can get away with it).

Mostly I wear a tank top and then pile on sweaters according to the weather.

It's really annoying, only being able to wear certain types of clothes;
luckily appearance isn't such a big deal for me.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2006, 6:28 pm

All my clothes have to be comfortable. I don't understand why clothing manufacturers have to put in such stiff, uncomfortable tags with stiff thread, and sometimes even when you cut the tag out what's left over is still stiff and scratchy.

Morphia
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jul 2006, 9:11 am

I'm ok with most clothes/fabrics. I can't stand wool, never have been able to cope with the itchiness against my skin, especially mohair or any long haired wool. My mother could never understand it and was allways trying to get me to wear jumpers.
I'm bothered much by tags, but i rarely wear socks, unless its winter and my feet can't hand my boots without them. I never wear socks or shoes in the house no matter how cold it is. And i hate bra's when i was in my teens i had a very small build and i never needed to wear them....now the elastic and stuff drives me crazy and i find it really uncomfortable. I wear one when i'm out, because your supposed too, but as soon as i come home off it comes, i'm an expert at taking them off without removing any other clothing.
Nylon and synthetics don't both me too much but again, like with wool, i'm very sensitive to itchy cloth and some things i just can't wear.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2006, 9:18 am

Don't do wool, spandex, lace...ect Hate heavy seams, tags, & turtlenecks :evil: ...

Basically if it scratches, itches, clings, or feels like it's choking me I can't stand it....I also prefer dark colors or earthtones...doesn't leave alot of options at times.

lae
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2006, 11:28 am

Beenthere wrote:
Don't do wool, spandex, lace...ect Hate heavy seams, tags, & turtlenecks :evil: ...

Basically if it scratches, itches, clings, or feels like it's choking me I can't stand it....I also prefer dark colors or earthtones...doesn't leave alot of options at times.
Exactly the same here.