does the americans with disabilities act protect against???

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 11:33 pm

Noisy neighbors? I live in a trailer park and am tired of listening to these kids slam and bang around next door. right now it's 11:30 at night and these brats and slamming and banging around. I've never had this much noise from kids next door before. not from the other people that have lived here. and something has to give.

Cops said they aren't noisy enough.

We own the house, but the lot is rented and the management's responsibility.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 12:02 am

oldmantime wrote:
Noisy neighbors? I live in a trailer park and am tired of listening to these kids slam and bang around next door. right now it's 11:30 at night and these brats and slamming and banging around. I've never had this much from kids next door before. not from the other people that have lived here. and something has to give.

The ADA won't help in a situation like this, noises in a private trailer park aren't covered.

Other than the normal avenues like talking to them, talking to the landlord, or calling the police for disturbing the peace, another alternative would be earplugs. You've probably already thought about all these alternatives already though.

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 12:05 am

ear plugs cause my Eustachian tubes to swell and make me sick unfortunately.

what do you think of building a small building, filling the walls with sand and using it as a sound proof room? I'd have to stick and a/c in it.

the cops said they aren't noisy enough and that trailer parks are just noisy.

talking doesn't really work well in my experience and i have tried it with them.

does anyone know of agencies than can do something?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 12:17 am

oldmantime wrote:
ear plugs cause my Eustachian tubes to swell and make me sick unfortunately.

what do you think of building a small building, filling the walls with sand and using it as a sound proof room? I'd have to stick and a/c in it.

the cops said they aren't noisy enough and that trailer parks are just noisy.

talking doesn't really work well in my experience and i have tried it with them.

Have you tried ear muffs designed for sleeping? They won't block out as much noise as ear plugs, but they should block out enough for you to be able to sleep. Another advantage is you will probably still be able to hear something really loud like an alarm clock or a fire alarm and be awakened when you need to be.

I didn't think about a fire in a trailer; always a concern in the home, more so at times in trailers. That in itself might make wearing earplugs a bad choice for anyone.

Moving might be cheaper than building a soundproof room, but if it is another trailer park your likely to run into the same kind of problems; possibly worse.

If you haven't already tried them, I would try the ear muffs for sleeping. I'm pretty sure you can find them at a local retailer; if not they are widely available with a google search on the internet.

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 12:34 am

i have sensitive spots around my ears and cannot wear them for long. my ears are large too and ear muffs are usually pretty small so that's another thing that would make them very uncomfortable quickly.

sometimes i can hear these people over hearing protection too, so that is an issue.

have you ever used earplugsonline.com? i'm thinking of getting some of the bee wax ones.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 12:45 am

Unless they are standing under your window screaming "ret*d!" because they know you are autistic then you can do something but if they are just making noise because they are having a good time then no. If they are making noise at a resonable time they are with in their rights to do so. If they do it after 11:00 PM sic the cops on em". :wink:

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 1:13 am

oldmantime wrote:
i have sensitive spots around my ears and cannot wear them for long. my ears are large too and ear muffs are usually pretty small so that's another thing that would make them very uncomfortable quickly.

sometimes i can hear these people over hearing protection too, so that is an issue.

have you ever used earplugsonline.com? i'm thinking of getting some of the bee wax ones.

No I haven't. Sounds like an excellent idea; it might not irritate the internal structure of you ears like the regular earplugs do; sounds like it might block more noise out too.

If you have the money, I'm sure there are specs available on the internet that will allow you the information you need to build a sound proof room, but it would probably entail some kind of central heating or airconditioning unit, since the sound would likely come through the area were a window unit might be placed in another structure. I'm pretty confident it would be cheaper to move somewhere else than to build a structure that was actually sound proof.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 2:13 am

oldmantime wrote:
Noisy neighbors? I live in a trailer park and am tired of listening to these kids slam and bang around next door. right now it's 11:30 at night and these brats and slamming and banging around. I've never had this much noise from kids next door before. not from the other people that have lived here. and something has to give.

It might be easiest to soundproof the area around your bed. You could also try shooting earmuffs but you might not hear an alarm clock or other important noises and you wouldn't be able to lay on your side. I wouldn't recommend letting your neighbors see you with anything firearm related though, so if you get them, be discrete with them.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 6:47 am

John_Browning wrote:
It might be easiest to soundproof the area around your bed. You could also try shooting earmuffs but you might not hear an alarm clock or other important noises and you wouldn't be able to lay on your side. I wouldn't recommend letting your neighbors see you with anything firearm related though, so if you get them, be discrete with them.

+1

You can also try "white noise" generators that produce something that you do hear (over all other things) that you eventually tune out and fall asleep to.

ADA doesn't help with this.

Cops won't do much either...they don't like dealing with petty issues like this.

Thebigrage
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Aug 2011, 7:44 am

Frankly noisy kids is something I deal with ALLLLLLLLLLLL THE TIME they can be reallly annoying. In a trailer park it can be really annoying because it is a close nit community. I recommend looking up how to sound proof a room in ur house that way it is a place to escape too. unfortunatly I have no idea of any other advise but hang in there man.

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 9:08 am

oh, i can block out their screaming with my fan for the most part. it's the bass sounds of slamming and banging around in the home for example that cause the most trouble. i can hear them over the fan.

would a white noise generator do any better?

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 10:09 am

I would recommend against sleeping with wax ear plugs. I did this once, and the wax melted during the night and ran down inside my ear, and I had to go to the doctor to get it out. I think the wax ear plugs are usually meant for swimming, where the cool water will keep them from melting. But what you may be able to try are the molded ear plugs. You can find these in pharmacies. They are a sort of plasticky substance that you press into your ear, and they will harden into a mold of your ears, so that they fit well, keep sound out very well, and shouldn't irritate your ears or create pressure issues.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 10:11 am

oldmantime wrote:
oh, i can block out their screaming with my fan for the most part. it's the bass sounds of slamming and banging around in the home for example that cause the most trouble. i can hear them over the fan.

would a white noise generator do any better?

The problem with bass is that you can generally feel it rather than just hear it, and I haven't had any luck with white noise in blocking bass sounds. I have very sensitive ears, and sleep with fan, sound machine, and ear plugs! Using those three things I don't have any trouble hearing my alarm clock by the way, and sometimes outside sounds (like trucks, especially garbage trucks) will still wake me up.

oldmantime
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 10:48 am

LostInSpace wrote:
I would recommend against sleeping with wax ear plugs. I did this once, and the wax melted during the night and ran down inside my ear, and I had to go to the doctor to get it out. I think the wax ear plugs are usually meant for swimming, where the cool water will keep them from melting. But what you may be able to try are the molded ear plugs. You can find these in pharmacies. They are a sort of plasticky substance that you press into your ear, and they will harden into a mold of your ears, so that they fit well, keep sound out very well, and shouldn't irritate your ears or create pressure issues.

yeah, why is it that garbage trucks and heavy equipment all seem to make that same sort of bass that's oddly noticeable? trains never bother me like those two do.

and are you talking about the silicone ear plugs? if so, those are too hard and usually damage the cartilage in my ears and do create suction if i have them in such a way as necessary to block sound well.

if not, please show me a link to what you are speaking of.

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 10:50 pm

I wear earplugs. Sometimes my neighbors make too much noise too! It drives me crazy!

Godless_lawyer
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Aug 2011, 11:14 pm

oldmantime wrote:

I don't know which other laws might be relevant, since I don't know where you live - but just because the police won't charge them doesn't mean their aren't options. If your municipality has a by-law enforcement division they may have the authority to do somethin. Alternatively, you might investigate ways you could pressure your management to do something about the situation.

As others have mentioned, the Americans with disabilities act is probably a non-starter, but if you feel your property manager has failed to reasonably accommodate your disability, you could look into making a complaint with the Department of Housing and Urban Development under the Fair Housing Act.