Palpitations (heart flutters) when anxious/startled?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

reddreadred
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Aug 2011, 4:56 pm

This morning driving to work my fuel light was on, so of course I went to the petrol station, but when I got in front of the pump I realised that my wallet was at home. I panicked and had heart flutters for a second from it, that's how bad my nerves are sometimes, but after I felt fine except worried I would get more fluttering. Does this happen to anyone else occasionally? I've been told that they're completely harmless, and have had two EKGs in the past few years showing excellent results. Edit: I suppose I should mention that I'm 23 years old and fit.

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Aug 2011, 5:02 pm

I have had irregular heart beats for 20 years, and it seems to increase when I'm sick or excited.

StevieC
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 5:15 pm

yeah, i get those. again, mainly when anxious/panicky, but sometimes they just happen for no good reason (heart will increase in rate, or miss the odd beat, or beat double time -- sometimes even does a robert palmer tribute :P ).

My RSS feed:
www.steviecandtheplacetobe.net/rss.xml

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2011, 7:31 pm

It happens to me at work. Stress stress stress.

Panic
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Aug 2011, 8:48 pm

thats the reason i named myself panic on this site, cus wen that happens i panic

Noop
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Aug 2011, 5:29 am

I get palpitations all the time, usually when there is some underlying nervousness though.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 5:36 am

I get them but not particularly when I''m anxious.

Luci
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 10:40 am

If I panic, sure I do.

reddreadred
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Aug 2011, 11:21 am

Thanks for the reassurance everyone. I suppose hypersensitivity to everything going on in our bodies comes with this burden.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 11:25 am

Yes and it is quite unpleasent and tends to make me feel more anxious.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

12 Aug 2011, 11:34 am

My family members should stop poking me. This is the result when they do. :roll:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 12:00 pm

Oh, yes, I have this, and nothing triggers it off. I just get them for about 2 days, every 2-3 weeks or so. I do suffer from an anxiety disorder, and the slightest little thing can panic me. Yes, I do feel like Piglet on Winnie the Pooh.

But I haven't had many palpitations for about 2 months now, even though I'm no less or more anxious than I was 2 months ago. Life is still the same as it was 2 months ago. Also, I had a massive panic attack when I thought the riots on London were coming my way, and the panic attack involved gasping for air and almost collapsing on the floor, and I thought this was going to give me palpitations, but it didn't.

I'm not even getting much headaches lately. But I do keep getting stomachaches, which are caused by nothing (because my digestion is normal, in fact very normal for an anxious person).

I have taken up a lot of walking. It doesn't make me feel less anxious, but it does help me deal with my problems better, and also decreases my physical causes from anxiety, which might be the answer to why I haven't got palpitations for a few weeks.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 12:52 pm

When I'm stressed it speeds up so much I can hear it. I hate the feeling... :( Something not quite right about it.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 1:30 pm

Caffeine causes them in me.