Yo dawg, I heard you like special interests ...

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2012, 3:38 pm

I have one main special interest which is pretty broad (Spongebob), but every few months or so I develop a special interest within my special interest and that becomes my focus. At the moment, I have a weirdly specific interest in the packaging of food products that have had a Spongebob tie-in. So I have lists and folders full of pictures of Spongebob Go-Gurt and mac and cheese. Which I'm sure will come in handy one day, right? :wink:

Is your special interest broad, or very specific?

helles
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 4:04 pm

My main interest is my job. But besides that I can decide what should be my interst (to a certain degree). At the moment my other interest is finding out about Asperger
Helle

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 4:15 pm

Well my interest right now is so called Autism & I would say I am digging very deep, because it is all over the place, to what it is.

?When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.?

The_Postmaster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2012, 4:23 pm

My special interest is science. It's an incredibly broad topic, and the list of books I'm reading is extremely extensive, varying from physics to sociology.

KatzenJam
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Apr 2012, 4:25 pm

My special interests change over time, actually. When I was younger I was obsessed with wolves, then I became obsessed with Chip's Challenge, then video games and literature, and now its just literature and North Korea. Why North Korea? I don't know, but I watch their internal news site like a hawk.

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2012, 5:08 pm

Mine range from broad (crops circles and ufos) to very specific (sugar free gum!) and everything in between.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 5:15 pm

I think in a broad sense art is my interest, but I am not fixated on dates and artists, per se.

I like to draw: charcoal and soft pastels the occasional photography.

I like to sing: but I am terribly embarrassed by it despite having a good voice

I like reading and writing: I do not mind sharing this as much.

I have had fixated hobbies before, tho such as Slinkies. I was obsessed with slinkies for over 5 years and collected them avidly. Rainbows, plain colors, all sizes, metallic ones you name it because they personified my obsession with curved shapes. Which has translated into my art.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 5:48 pm

My special interest has both broad and specific aspects to it. In a broad sense, my special interest is obsessing over fictional characters and the experience of having them as imaginary friends. I used to define my special interests in terms of which shows/movies/games/etc. my imaginary friends came from, because I didn't realize that fictional characters themselves and the act of having them as imaginary friends could qualify as a special interest itself until recently.

I've had character obsessions and imaginary friends ever since I was 5 years old, and it's such an integral aspect of my personality that no one's ever told me that I'm too old for it or that it's unhealthy for me; not even mental health professionals, though some of them did try to push me to make more real-life friends.

In a more specific sense, exactly which characters I obsess over and take on as imaginary friends is subject to change. I always have a select few characters that I obsess over more intensely than others and they tend to stay for years. However, less intense character obsessions can change on a weekly, monthly or even daily basis.

My mom says I'm "very particular" about which characters I take on as imaginary friends, and she's right. I can't just pick any character to obsess over - I have to relate to them or connect with them on some level. I'm drawn to characters who are outcasts or who have had tragic lives. It also helps if they have a visually interesting design. I've found that my ideal amount of imaginary friends at once is around 8 or 9. Any more than that and I start losing track of them, and any less and it feels like it's not enough.

Last edited by IdahoRose on 30 Apr 2012, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NTAndrew
Toucan
Toucan

30 Apr 2012, 5:53 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
My special interest has both broad and specific aspects to it. In a broad sense, my special interest is obsessing over fictional characters and the experience of having them as imaginary friends. I used to define my special interests in terms of which shows/movies/games/etc. my imaginary friends came from, because I didn't realize that fictional characters themselves and the act of having them as imaginary friends could qualify as a special interest itself until recently.

I've had character obsessions and imaginary friends ever since I was 5 years old, and it's such an integral aspect of my personality that no one's ever told me that I'm too old for it or that it's unhealthy for me; not even mental health professionals, though some of them did try to push me to make more real-life friends.

In a more specific sense, exactly which characters I obsess over and take on as imaginary friends is subject to change. I always have a select few characters that I obsess over more intensely than others and they tend to stay for years. However, less intense character obsessions can change on a weekly, monthly or even daily basis. My mom says I'm "very particular" about which characters I take on as imaginary friends, and she's right. I've found that my ideal amount of imaginary friends at once is around 8 or 9. Any more than that and I start losing track of them, and any less and it feels like it's not enough.

You mean, someone else does that besides me? Whoa, my mind is officially blown!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 5:56 pm

My special interest is music. My favourite band is The Kinks, Elton John is my favourite soloist and I play the drums every Friday during Jam Session at my clubhouse. 8)

NTAndrew
Toucan
Toucan

30 Apr 2012, 5:56 pm

My special interests include Carnivorous Plants, historical re-enactment, Autism/Aspergers and fiction writing.

And like IdahoRose and her character obsessions, sometimes the characters I create for my stories become special interests.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 5:58 pm

I dunno if it's a special interest as such but lately been looking big time into properties, home improvement, furniture, budgeting my money. Probably a broad special interest in lifestyle.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 5:59 pm

What is your definition of broad? Why is Spongebob broad, for example?

kBillingsley
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2012, 6:03 pm

Some interests come and go, but electronics is here to stay. I have had an interest in electricity and all of its capacities since as long as I can remember. Electromagnetism is like the forgotten force to the public. Everyone knows about gravity and no one cares about weak and strong nuclear force, but even though it pervades every facet of our lives, no one really seems to appreciate electricity on its own anymore: just computers and all of the other technologies it makes possible. I am the only person I know in real life that works with electricity as a hobby.

Last edited by kBillingsley on 03 May 2012, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NTAndrew
Toucan
Toucan

30 Apr 2012, 7:03 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
My special interest is music. My favourite band is The Kinks, Elton John is my favourite soloist and I play the drums every Friday during Jam Session at my clubhouse. 8)

You like the Kinks? I wouldn't have guessed! (sarcasm). Me too. I like Elton John also.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 7:43 pm

When it's a part of something (which is still a single entity in reality), that'd come under "fixation on parts of objects".

I always focus on a single aspect of the overriding interest.