Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

jpfudgeworth
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2011, 12:57 am

Has anyone used meditation as a way to treat anxiety? I've had a lot of attacks this year and I realized I'm just horrible at coping with stress so I thought I'd try meditation, but I need to learn more about it first.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 1:10 am

It can make your more calmer yes. I've not seriously tried though. I meditated for an hour everyday for 3 months in the past and it helped me relax and let go of my negative feelings. I don't do it now but I should try getting back to meditating.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 10:06 am

i have been meditating in an attempt to reduce my anxiety. i meditate for 15 minutes twice a day. it works very well, but only for a short period of time - i find i am only relaxed for maybe 30 minutes. i am working to find a way to extend the benefit, or at least to refresh the feeling throughout the day (i have a high stress job).

a good friend of mine recommended Malcolm Huxter's guided meditations, and they are quite awesome. they are available for free if you google it.

holocryptic
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Aug 2011, 11:51 am

Yes, and cardiovascular exercise is as good or better in my opinion. Meditation will be difficult if you are extremely stressed out. Start with 5 minutes of "progressive relaxation and deep breathing" (Google that, I can't post a link,) if that works out add on 10 more minutes of concentrating on the sensations of breathing.

dopplercb
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2011, 12:13 pm

I am not on an anxiety medicine, which is crazy because I am high strung as hell. maybe I should talk to my psychiatrist about that.

Swordfish210
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2011, 2:32 pm

I find meditation a good way of making my head emptier before I go to sleep as I do not normally seem to be able to stop my mind from thinking, especially in the evening without distractions. As a way of elieving social anxiety I think it is less suitable as I can't seem to break through my thought circles at those extremely stressfull occasions. I hope you do succeed as it would be very usefull.

Sherlock Holmes in The Sign Of Four (1890), ch. 6

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 2:49 pm

The breath is instrumental in how you feel.

I practice ki breathing which really helps.

It is a meditation of sorts, with the emphasis on the breath.

http://unofficial.ki-society.org/Breath.html

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2011, 2:57 pm

I meditate to help curb my anxiety. I use a couple of different techniques, really. It helps muchly.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 5:44 pm

Meditation can be wonderful.
I love meditating and feeling the effects of clearing my negativity; and no matter how intense I've been, meditation can be a huge relief and help me a lot.

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Aug 2011, 6:21 pm

I was taught by my pyschologist mediation techniques when I have an anxiety attack but it hasnt worked. Once my stomach starts its too late then Im in that toliet sick I have to take extra pants because I have a habit of soiling my pants because I freak out so bad I have to also wear pads all the time. I have fainted many times from anxiety and now I have fits as well. I find if I am with people I fully trust and that I am comfortable with I am fine I still space out and look like Im completely out of it but at least I know Im safe with friends. I end up hugging my Mum and Dad when I walk around shopping centers and holding Mums hand and hang onto their jumpers or shirts and I wont let go. I freak out alot and get spooked quickly I tried the meditation and it never worked.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Aug 2011, 6:31 pm

I have meditated in the past, quite devotely for a while, but I haven't done it much recently and I haven't had the benefit when I have tried.

kBillingsley
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Aug 2011, 6:34 pm

Hmm... I have tried self-hypnosis to no avail, but that was to rid myself of depersonalization. Best of luck to you, for I too have grappled with the anxiety menace.

Last edited by kBillingsley on 29 Aug 2011, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2011, 11:14 pm

simple meditation for beginners:

You must be sitting comfortably with your back straight and your head erect. Close your eyes.
Count your breaths. in-One, out-two, in-three, out four. Count up to ten and start over. If you start thinking and forget to count, start over at one. Do this for five minutes.

This meditation should be done twice a day: once in the morning and once at night. If you get comfortable doing it for five minutes at a time, try increasing the time to ten minutes.

If you are anxious during the day, try doing this meditation (I know it might be hard to find the time or a place to be alone and do it).

After meditating regularly, for several days or weeks, you will notice that your thinking is different, more clearer. Your emotions are different, more positive. Solutions to problems just come to you. This effect lasts throughout the day, not just when you are meditating. It's like you are re-wiring you brain to be more calm and more observant. I learned this simple meditation a few years ago, and I love it.