Ever get ahead of yourself on a medication and run out?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 2:15 pm

Now I'm not talking about some heavy duty drug abuse. -- But let's say you're prescribed two pills a day of something that really helps you relax. Let's say without giving it excessive thought you bumped yourself up to three pills a day - Maybe once or twice you took four. - Then you discover you have run out and can't get anymore on the basis that particular prescription for at least a week.

What do you do?

Grin and bare it and maybe try to face the stress without the medication.

Call my psychiatrist and admit that I screwed up and ask him to write me an updated prescription.

My psychiatrist is a pretty reasonable person - But, I wouldn't want to risk any breaches in trust.

- Albert Einstein

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 2:54 pm

I occasionally take more than my prescribed dosage if I am having a meltdown. I never admit to it though.

If you feel like upping the dose would be helpful, then talk to your doctor. Be careful if it's a valium type drug, those are nastily addictive.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2015, 3:10 pm

I'd try to tough it out.

I had to take benzos for anxiety when I was in my late teens and my doc weaned me off of them by prescribing me 30 days worth and telling me that I could take up to two pills a day- but could take less if needed - but that was all I was getting, so try and stretch it out.

In the end I was down to a quarter of a pill a day before I finally ran out. It was really tough giving them up.