Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

david06
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Aug 2011, 3:55 pm

Hi,

I wonder why I talk so much. I tend to still do it, but I am much better at sharing the conversation. Still, I am not sure why I do it. Here are some thoughts.

I suspect it may have to do with wanting to control the conversation, but I am not sure why I want that control. Maybe it's simply to avoid listening. Listening can be challenging for me. I can easily space out. I do the same thing while reading. Every thought seems to lead to another, and soon, I've lost the conversation and have to nod blankly and uncomfortably.

Or maybe I am not sure I will deliver the response the talker wants. Maybe I will miss the emotional point and trail off on some philosophical tangent. I've done that a lot.

Maybe I want to keep the topic on subjects I like or an interested in, and avoid uncomfortable topics. I'm not even sure what topics would be uncomfortable, or if there are any, but I do have my favorite subjects.

Maybe it's just harder to tune into others, and easier to stay on myself. I am not sure why it is hard to tune into others. Maybe it's hard to relate, or just to focus my attention. Maybe it's all these things added together. The bottom ine is it is easier to talk than listen.

I would be interested in what your thoughts are. Are you aware when you are doing it? Can you stop? Why do you do it?

Thanks!
David

Last edited by david06 on 22 Aug 2011, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 4:09 pm

In conversations, I talk too little. But when I'm at home, I yap on and on to my parents. My mum is always like, ''just stop talking and give me some peace!''

WickedLucid
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2011, 4:29 pm

Quote:
I suspect it may have to do with wanting to control the conversation, but I am not sure why I want that control. Maybe it's simply to avoid listening. Listening can be challenging for me. I can easily space out. I do the same thing while reading. Every thought seems to lead to another, and soon, I've lost the conversation and have to nod blankly and uncomfortably.

Or maybe I am not sure I will deliver the response the talker wants. Maybe I will miss the emotional point and trail off on some philosophical tangent. I've done that a lot.

Maybe I want to keep the topic on subjects I like or an interested in, and avoid uncomfortable topics. I'm not even sure what topics would be uncomfortable, or if there are any, but I do have my favorite subjects.

Maybe it's just harder to tune into others, and easier to stay on myself. I am not sure why it is hard to tune into others. Maybe it's hard to relate, or just to focus my attention. Maybe it's all these things added together. The bottom ine is it is easier to talk than listen.

I would be interested in what your thoughts are. Are you aware when you are doing it? Can you stop? Why do you do it?

Dude, I am totally with you on this. It takes quite a bit of energy to turn my mouth off. I'm respectful and I make every attempt to remain aware of this...issue. But, like you, I have so much going on in my head. And you said it best- one thing, leads to another thought and then we're off to the races. I also feel that I do it for the same reasons you mentioned. I don't think I'm controlling either but I think it's fair to say I try to control the conversation for the sake of all parties. It's a gamble and usually a bit of a mess, but whatever, right?

I have to keep in mind that the one or two friends I have and the various repeat acquaintances I have, admit that the reason they like being around me is because I'm so interested in everything and I make them laugh with my strange perspective. Then again, I could totally be misreading their message. Like when someone tells you they like your shirt, which means no they don't. I've tested this theory repeatedly. I can definitely tell the difference between the two...

Crap. I did it again.

Point taken and point proven. Now I'm thinking about an point system....

grindmonkey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2011, 4:56 pm

my dad gets mad because I'll always everytime a song comes on I give its backstory, blah blah. I've been told I talk "at" people, and all this does is make me stressed.

like I said in another thread I often don't listen and talk over people, even towards potential girlfriends, ruining my chances. people view us as narcissistic as*holes but walking on eggshells just makes us stress more. neverending battle. learning to listen is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

_Square_Peg_
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 5:07 pm

I hardly ever talk... unless it's about cartoons and animation, a subject I'm very fascinated with.
It's usually pretty common for aspies to be quiet most of the time but never shut up about their obsessions XD

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 6:24 pm

I also have a problem with talking too much, whether in real life or online. In fact, when people quote me on this website, they tend to quote only a small chunk of my post rather than the whole thing, which is a sign to me that I probably talk too much.

In real life, I can talk for hours about my interests and imaginary world as long as someone's willing to listen. When I was in elementary school, my nickname was "Chatterbox" because of this, and my Nana has told me that I talk more than anyone she's ever met in her life.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 7:26 pm

_Square_Peg_ wrote:
It's usually pretty common for aspies to be quiet most of the time but never shut up about their obsessions XD

That is correct.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 9:28 pm

Strangely, or maybe not, I enjoy both talking at others and having others talk at me. These speaking-dominated or listening-dominated interactions are far less stressful than back-and-forth talking with each other.

david06
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Sep 2011, 10:36 am

I appreciate the replies!

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 2:20 pm

I can talk for Scotland. Just don't ask me to do it when there's more than a couple of people there. If you're on your own with me, be prepared for an earful. Anyone who has seen any of my posts will probably say I'm like that on-line too. I much prefer to have an equally chatty person to chat to. I hate the realisation that I've been speaking at someone for 15 minutes.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 2:28 pm

Aspies will have better lives if they learn to STFU

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 2:34 pm

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
I can talk for Scotland. Just don't ask me to do it when there's more than a couple of people there. If you're on your own with me, be prepared for an earful. Anyone who has seen any of my posts will probably say I'm like that on-line too. I much prefer to have an equally chatty person to chat to. I hate the realisation that I've been speaking at someone for 15 minutes.

I can talk for Scotland too. We should meet for a blether sometime and see if we can qualify for the Commonwealth Games. :D

They do have a talking event, don't they?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 2:38 pm

I tend to talk too much too. I hear it's an AS issue because we either talk too much or too little and I also tend to talk too little too.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 3:26 pm

Surfman wrote:

Harsh but true, especially given the fact that some of us (such as myself) tend to give out too many personal details about ourselves.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2011, 3:35 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
Surfman wrote:

Harsh but true, especially given the fact that some of us (such as myself) tend to give out too many personal details about ourselves.

I can't say that I agree with that. My lack of actively sharing information gets on people's nerves.

White_Wolf
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Sep 2011, 2:53 am

I do so too. And I can especially relate to the whole "sharing too much personal information" thing. I also tend to be too one-sided in the conversation. Around others I talk a lot, but it tends to be ME talking, and driving the conversation in strange directions. Sometimes it's perfectly logical to me to change the subject drastically, so people wonder "how the hell did we get here?". I also tend to hold monologues on my subjects of interest, even though sometimes the words I have in my head gets all messed up, making it sound really strange when it comes out.

Sometimes it makes me a bit ashamed, because I think people might find me rude. Especially if the conversation is about my interests I forget to listen and even if the conversation moves on, I can stay in the topic. It's hard to focus.