YES 35%  35%  [ 22 ]
NO 65%  65%  [ 41 ]
Total votes : 63

ci
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 12:55 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T78c3JJPC38[/youtube]

Looking at the YouTube video people have made fun of the sound of the word.

Beyond a simple misunderstanding people have made fun of the word.

The video also uses the R word which is impolite and offensive.

Alright so I did a test on this website with humor and disability. Discussing how the word Asperger's Syndrome is pronounced by most people. People didn't get offended however there comes a point because of how the word sounds and most obviously that a word should be abolished. I am a nice person and since realizing the sound of it at least once a day I start laughing for what appears to be no reasons to others and for over a month now. Now two people around me ask if it's because of how the word sounds. I do not have it but have a different diagnoses called autism. So is it ok that Asperger's just be called ASD now because I cannot be professional with the sound of this word.

I do not think the people that created the word were being polite.

Nathan Young

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 1:01 am

My degree isin English and I am a writer; I believe in living language. I see no sense at all in abandoning a word because it just happens to sound similar to another word. That's called over-sensitivity. Some words are odd, or funny... that's just language; deal with it.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 1:05 am

Well it is going away in the new DSM anyways. It doesn't matter to me because I am not diagnosed with it. Just every-time I see the word I can't help but laugh. So as long as it is not being mean on purpose. Though the video would be offensive to other individuals because the R word has been abused and the video does seem demeaning in context.

The peer politics creating intolerance toward compassion is coming to an end. Pity accusations, indifferent advocacy against isolation awareness and for pride in an image of autism is injustice. http://www.autismselfadvocacynetwork.com

MJM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jun 2011, 1:15 am

the removing of aspergers from the new dsm is stupid what are they replacing it with? aspergers syndrome is high functioning autism without the language delays and therefore very similar from a symptomatic point of view to that of high functioning autism. Aspies to tend to be better then hfas like myself but the conditions are very similar from a symptomatic point of view.

Also people make fun of things that they dont understand even I have done this and I am sure others here have done it .

ci
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 1:21 am

There are enough difference to warrant a separate consideration. Although it is part of the autism spectrum. I just wish the very high functioning would help with inclusion. Seems like the most popular of them focus on creating hard feelings like ASAN does and screws public relations for nice inclusion relations. I think it may be a tactic of their own to use autism to their advantage while leaving the most excluded out because of hard feelings with the public. That's another reason I want a clear difference made between types of autism that more so prevent inclusion and that of the trouble making very high functioning that do not really depend on kind public relations to be included.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 1:29 am

Yeah, there is nothing I want to read more than another self-advocacy rant. I have an idea, ci. Howz about we throw all the Aspergian kids into special "camps" and tell them that they can change if they really want to; they are just being babies. Then we will give them drugs until they do change, because AS is a defect that needs ot be corrected.

Zat make you feel all better?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

12 Jun 2011, 1:31 am

MJM wrote:
the removing of aspergers from the new dsm is stupid what are they replacing it with? aspergers syndrome is high functioning autism without the language delays and therefore very similar from a symptomatic point of view to that of high functioning autism. Aspies to tend to be better then hfas like myself but the conditions are very similar from a symptomatic point of view.

Also people make fun of things that they dont understand even I have done this and I am sure others here have done it .

High functioning autism doesn't require the language delays and people diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome can have various language delays that don't involve late speech. Further, most people with AS fit the criteria for autism.

I personally dislike the sound of "Asperger's" because it is bitter to me (sensory association), not because people can make it sound ridiculous.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 1:36 am

dyingofpoetry wrote:
Yeah, there is nothing I want to read more than another self-advocacy rant. I have an idea, ci. Howz about we throw all the Aspergian kids into special "camps" and tell them that they can change if they really want to; they are just being babies. Then we will give them drugs until they do change, because AS is a defect that needs ot be corrected.

Your starting to sound like that Radio show shock jock known as Savage. I'm not sure how you would suspect I would agree with or even like that. Did you forget I also have autism? How about taking a look at what I do and how tens of thousands have become aware. And all without one accusation of bigotry, hard feeling or manipulative do or else your a eugenics Nazi.

Seems like people should ethically tell the difference between good advocacy and not. Yet with how ASAN has done it to get attention potentially many more thousands have become aware. You know I've actually been accused of being an ASAN and told off. How are they helping inclusion when I have to explain I'm not and I'm entirely separate.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 1:37 am

Verdandi wrote:
MJM wrote:

High functioning autism doesn't require the language delays and people diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome can have various language delays that don't involve late speech. Further, most people with AS fit the criteria for autism.

I personally dislike the sound of "Asperger's" because it is bitter to me (sensory association), not because people can make it sound ridiculous.

Sorry. Out right autism differs. Although there is severe Aspie. Language delay means HFA.

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 1:38 am

I don't see what the big deal is, personally I think "ass-burgers" is pretty funny.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 1:42 am

ci wrote:
dyingofpoetry wrote:

Your starting to sound like that Radio show shock jock known as Savage. I'm not sure how you would suspect I would agree with or even like that. Did you forget I also have autism? How about taking a look at what I do and how tens of thousands have become aware. And all without one accusation of bigotry, hard feeling or manipulative do or else your a eugenics Nazi.

Seems like people should ethically tell the difference between good advocacy and not. Yet with how ASAN has done it to get attention potentially many more thousands have become aware. You know I've actually been accused of being an ASAN and told off. How are they helping inclusion when I have to explain I'm not and I'm entirely separate.

That's okay. I have been accused of supporting Autism Speaks and then I got told off. Things are rough everywhere. I fully support just letting people make the best of their lives in any way they deem best and when help is offered from others, choose carefully.

Part of living a full life is to find others who think as we do and interacting with them in an exchange of ideas. I don't care what those ideas are, but we are all free to pursue them.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

12 Jun 2011, 1:46 am

ci wrote:
Sorry. Out right autism differs. Although there is severe Aspie. Language delay means HFA.

What you're diagnosed with if you don't have an obvious language delay depends on who you see and how your symptoms present.

A language delay does mean that you will be diagnosed with autism or PDD-NOS because Asperger's outright excludes it. However, you do not need to have that language delay in order to be diagnosed with autism or PDD-NOS.

As a child I qualified for the DSM-III criteria for autism, easily (but the DSM-III came out when I was 10 or 11). I still qualify for the DSM-IV criteria for autism. In fact, Asperger's says that a diagnosis of autism should supercede a diagnosis for Asperger's, so by strict DSM-IV criteria, I am misdiagnosed, although clinical practice actually varies and I don't really care what my diagnosis is as long as I have one.

I do not see what the difference is, although so many seem to believe it is real and present and perhaps even obvious. I've even seen some lists of traits that claim to distinguish the two, but I am as likely to have the HFA traits as the Asperger's traits, and I am sure I am not alone.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 1:49 am

I will work with Autism Speaks, ASA but I will not work solely with ASAN. In fact even if I do work with ASAN I could be accused of going along with their social strategy to guilt the public. I will not however work with any organization with concern to abortion. The capacity in which I work with any organization stickily has to do with compassionate transitional inclusion and no more. Inclusion differs from research based public relations. That's more the living human side in the real-world then the push to find treatments for what hinders and that individuals have chosen that have an ASD to be treated and even cured.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 1:57 am

Verdandi wrote:
ci wrote:

What you're diagnosed with if you don't have an obvious language delay depends on who you see and how your symptoms present.

A language delay does mean that you will be diagnosed with autism or PDD-NOS because Asperger's outright excludes it. However, you do not need to have that language delay in order to be diagnosed with autism or PDD-NOS.

As a child I qualified for the DSM-III criteria for autism, easily (but the DSM-III came out when I was 10 or 11). I still qualify for the DSM-IV criteria for autism. In fact, Asperger's says that a diagnosis of autism should supercede a diagnosis for Asperger's, so by strict DSM-IV criteria, I am misdiagnosed, although clinical practice actually varies and I don't really care what my diagnosis is as long as I have one.

I do not see what the difference is, although so many seem to believe it is real and present and perhaps even obvious. I've even seen some lists of traits that claim to distinguish the two, but I am as likely to have the HFA traits as the Asperger's traits, and I am sure I am not alone.

Government regulations on qualifying individuals for social service regional center support. It has been noted to me that any individual with other symptoms of autism and whom also have original speech delay are differentiated from Asperger's Syndrome. However it should be based on need and needs based on life functioning. The differences between someone who can obviously work regularly, attended or attends college completely and so on compared to someone who is excluded is more obviously effected by autism and they should receive serviced before some PHD in English that wants to call the world bigots and many of which seek to help individuals like myself and who experience much more profound disability.

I simply do not trust nor have the such earned my trust nor should expect to have it behaving in those ways. >side topic.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 1:58 am

Verdandi wrote:
ci wrote:

Like all of this.

I know far too many people (and I belong to an autism group here) that had a language delay, but seem to be 100% Aspergian and they get that as a Dx (which also violates that DSM-IV rule.)

It does not really matter though. I believe that the human mind is far too complex and varied to be able to slap very specific criterai on people that lead to a very specific diagnosis. I know no one who is a textbook case for any disorder. However, there certain traits that put one on the spectrum and that we can be sure of... Hence the proposed change in the DSM-V.

ci
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2011, 2:05 am

MooCow wrote:
I don't see what the big deal is, personally I think "ass-burgers" is pretty funny.

Holy Cow! I can't believe what you said. :lol: