Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 1:10 pm

What I mean is, do you get really excited when you find out something new about your special interest, that you just cannot think of anything else, and you start panicking because you want to find out more but you've found out everything you can and you feel like running in circles because you're so obsessed that you don't know what to do?

I'm terrible. I don't really like saying what I'm obsessed with on the internet, but what the heck, I'm obsessed with bus-drivers, and the other day I found out something new about the bus company, and I just could not think of anything else but the bus-drivers and how they might be feeling due to this new change, and so on. I paced up and down my room thinking and thinking about it, and I went on the computer to try and write a big story about them but couldn't think of how to write it, and then I went on facebook and asked one my friends (who is also into buses) if he knew anything else about this, and he did so we were up talking about it all night, then I got even more obsessed so I got out my drawing book ready to draw them but couldn't be bothered, so I went on the Sims 2 and created a sims version of them and....ohh, I was in a right state!

Anyone else feel like this? I know I always say that this and that isn't an Aspie thing, but I do know that this is, because it makes sense that it is.

MyriaJean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Sep 2011, 1:23 pm

Joe90 wrote:
What I mean is, do you get really excited when you find out something new about your special interest, that you just cannot think of anything else, and you start panicking because you want to find out more but you've found out everything you can and you feel like running in circles because you're so obsessed that you don't know what to do?

Yes. My interest right now is body modification, and while I'd rather learn about the anthropological side of it, I'm having trouble finding anything from that angle so I'm learning everything else (techniques, brands of jewelry, etc.). It's frustrating because my interests are usually better documented than this :?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 1:41 pm

MyriaJean wrote:
Yes. My interest right now is body modification, and while I'd rather learn about the anthropological side of it, I'm having trouble finding anything from that angle so I'm learning everything else (techniques, brands of jewelry, etc.). It's frustrating because my interests are usually better documented than this :?

:D I never developed an obsession with piercings or implants (though I've got 5 earrings - and did have double labrets until I took 'em out), but I am a licensed tattooist because my special interests as an artist suddenly took off in a new direction one day.

MyriaJean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

Willard wrote:
MyriaJean wrote:

:D I never developed an obsession with piercings or implants (though I've got 5 earrings - and did have double labrets until I took 'em out), but I am a licensed tattooist because my special interests as an artist suddenly took off in a new direction one day.

:wtg:
I'm interested in tattoos and implants - but I'm obsessed with piercings and scarification. Pulls, suspensions, etc. kind of freak me out though.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 1:50 pm

Being a bus driver would be BADASS

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2011, 1:58 pm

Yes! I feel like I'm going to die if I don't collect and learn as much information about my interest as I possibly can. Then when the obsession passes, I have this whole bunch of stuff, books mainly, that I no longer have any use for. Oh well, gotta power myself up somehow.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 2:01 pm

Joe90 wrote:

This happens to me with nearly every special interest. I can't force myself to eat, sleep, work until the "crazy phase" is over. And I get so frustrated if there's no more info to get on the subject.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 2:04 pm

I've never gotten that. Special intrests were really the only thing that made life bearable. The only frustrations I had that were special intrest related was not being able to persue them or someone telling me to shut up about them. The actual special intrests themselves never caused me any pain.

Green_Sky
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Sep 2011, 2:09 pm

I've been wondering if that's what i've had today. I've been reading about WWII and the nazis for over 3 months now, every day, and today i finished by watching 'Downfall'. I don't have time to read anymore - have to prepare for university - but I've been really depressed all day as a result. I don't think it was the film itself, as I wasn't this depressed when i was watching a documentary on the holocaust. Feel more 'lost' rather than pacey though.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 2:34 pm

I may not get quite that crazy when I've got a new one, but it's all I can do for a while. There always does seem to be more information out there, even in the days when I had to hit libraries for it. Now the Internet seems to have most things, and always more subtle information. I do eventually wear it out, though sometimes it takes years. Unlike Ellytoad, after I wear it out I'm not left with useless stuff, because I never lose interest entirely, it just isn't as all-consuming as a new one is. But I still knit, for example, in front of the tv news shows, or some entertainment shows, and make nice things for people, or do beadwork, or read about anthropology, etc. Just not in the "crazy phase", but the Special Interest remains special long after that phase is over.

ZaannV
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Sep 2011, 2:49 pm

oh my god yes. I know exactly how you feel. you're not alone. Honestly, I end up shutting myself away for days upon end to be alone with my obsessions, and when i go out into the world all i think about is my obsessions, i talk to myself down the street and honestly it completely rules my life. Ive tried to change but its really murderous hahaha. Ive not met one person yet who can put up with how I am, but i feel you got to do what you got to do, whether that be alone or not haha. And buses are interesting :)

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2011, 3:23 pm

Sort of, but not as much, I think. If it's something I can do something about, like how you mentioned writing, I might have to write about it. Then it takes me a while to compile my thoughts & I end up yelling at someone if they come in & interrupt me in the middle. They don't understand why i have to do & finish something right at that time or I often feel like I've lost the plot, so to speak.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 4:33 pm

I have a tendency to get excited over my special interests too. Whenever I learn exciting facts about them, I have the urge to stim a lot. I can literally spend hours stimming over just one bit of information.

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 5:00 pm

keira wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

This happens to me with nearly every special interest. I can't force myself to eat, sleep, work until the "crazy phase" is over. And I get so frustrated if there's no more info to get on the subject.

All of that. I thought I was the only one until I found WP. When I am done with it I don't want to be done, & I am at a loss until I find a new "Important". That's what I call my current special interest. Usually they fade away slowly. And I miss certain ones more than others. My family has told me to stop talking about them so I don't. Well, mostly anyway. :)

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 9:12 pm

Get what you mean my friend ;-)
i sadly always end up having that overload when i try to sleep since nothing on earth is having influence on me besides my interests and thoughts(which usually are straight out the same)
most of the time i just wake up, do my research or write a little memo on my ipod and proceed with the actual usage of the idea, 2 hours later tho..

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 10:08 pm

Absolutely. It's even weirder in my case, as these obsessions are with actual people. Creepy, I know. I want to know what they are doing all the time, and when I don't know, I will just obsess over them more to the point where my thoughts will get extremely intrusive...in this state it can get hard to focus on other things.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.