Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

glasscasket
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2011, 3:52 pm

Does anyone else tend to walk really fast? I'm wondering if it is AS related. I tend to take wide, heavy-footed strides and I can reach a destination in about half the time that it would take for someone who walks at a normal pace. The weird thing is that it actually takes more effort for me to walk slower, which is why I prefer to walk alone.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 3:56 pm

I walk very fast. I don't know why everyone walks so slow. My husband I can understand because he has bad feet.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 4:02 pm

I walk as fast as possible. I don't like walking with others, because I can't keep up with their slow walking. I am like the Energizer Bunny. When I was little, I didn't know how to walk, because I only knew how to run from place to place, no matter how close together the places were.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 4:05 pm

I tend to walk faster than average in areas well-known to me because of hyperactivity/impulsivity.

mntn13
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 4:19 pm

yes; if I really have to walk with others I get very tired from not going my regular speed. It is impossible to shop at malls because of this. So I don't. Plus crowds freak me out anyway.

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Sep 2011, 4:26 pm

I walk very fast, all the time. I can't plod along slowly like other people without bobbing and feeling quite unnatural.

leozelig
Toucan
Toucan

10 Sep 2011, 4:35 pm

glasscasket wrote:
Does anyone else tend to walk really fast? I'm wondering if it is AS related. I tend to take wide, heavy-footed strides and I can reach a destination in about half the time that it would take for someone who walks at a normal pace. The weird thing is that it actually takes more effort for me to walk slower, which is why I prefer to walk alone.

same here. I take wide steps and walk pretty fast also when I'm by myself. If I'm in a hurry or restless, I'd rather walk alone. But when I'm with someone else, I tend to walk slower than they do. I hesitate walking beside someone, or tend to walk in back of them.

glasscasket
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Sep 2011, 5:13 pm

@mntn13: Yeah, crowds usually freak me out too. I still do my shopping but I just tune out the crowds and focus on what I need to get at the store. If there are people and shopping carts in the way, I either squeeze through them or go to the other side of the aisle. I still end up bumping into things. And since I get easily overwhelmed, I usually make a shopping list so that I remember why I needed to go shopping in the first place. By the way, thanks for the replies everyone, and thanks in advance for any future replies.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Sep 2011, 5:56 pm

I used to walk fast, but since walking can be painful I've slowed down a bit.

I was with a friend once who was walking so fast the soda I was carrying went flat from the jostling. Actually, I was really annoyed that she wanted me to go with her on that particular walk because...walking that fast is painful.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 6:04 pm

A lot of people with Aspergers have gross motor difficulties, so I wouldn't assume all would be speed walkers (that is just an assumption though).

I have autism, and even when I THINK I am walking fast everyone still passes me. :? So I guess I'm a bit slow. :(

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

matt
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 6:07 pm

It seems that I walk very very much faster than most other people.

Tadzio
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 6:31 pm

Ever since my last brain damage event, I have to walk extra consciously or my right leg tries to drag, and I use a GPS to keep from getting lost, since my short-term sense of direction and location is gone too.

My max speed walking tops out at 4 mph (6.5 km/h), and after a couple miles drops to around 3.4 mph (5.5 km/h). Less than perfect sidewalks with busy intersections brings the average down to 2 mph (3.2 km/h). Very many other pedestrians results in speeds around 1 mph (1.6 km/h).

I tend to try to "march" while walking to get both legs to more fully work, which the clock on the GPS helps with keeping in a stride, which gets jokes about "race walking" on a "cell phone". I read-off/record set rules to keep from walking into things, and by time, which is a trade-off.

Tadzio

geweldig
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Sep 2011, 6:44 pm

Same here, I just hate not having anything to do while walking + I dont like the idea of people staring/judging me.

I'm a lot in hospitals and nursing homes because of my profession and honestly its so annoying having to wait for slow old people in small corridors. Few months ago I bought shoes with a little click with every step, somehow the sound my quick steps now make makes them move aside and let me through, its great :)

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 6:49 pm

I feel really tired after walking slow for a little while. I don't feel tired at all after walking fast or hiking up and down hills for hours.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 6:56 pm

I was nicknamed "Ant" because of the way I walk at shopping malls. I dart here and there maybe looking at something for five seconds before I am off looking at something else. My legs moved like an ant except they have six and I have only two.
Not sure if ants are speedwalkers.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 7:22 pm

Yes. As usual, in my case, there is a weirder trait related to my walking speed: whenever I see someone walking in front of me or walking faster than me, I will accelerate my pace until I outpace the individual.