Are there any autistic people here who get lost easily.

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AlexWelshman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2011, 4:09 pm

Are there any other people with autis, who get lost going to places that there not familia with?

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 4:13 pm

I'm aspergers, and I get lost easily when I drive around somewhere unfamiliar. Some people are just compass heads, and they never lose track of North. I do.

ChrisP
Toucan
Toucan

18 Aug 2011, 4:34 pm

I'm Aspie, and have always been prone to getting lost. I hate places like IKEA and big supermarkets, especially when I lose sight of the person I'm with. Panic!

glasscasket
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Aug 2011, 4:38 pm

I do all the time. I usually look for familiar buildings, like a gas station to remember where I am.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

18 Aug 2011, 4:43 pm

I get lost going to new places with explicit instructions.

There was this one occasion, I was supposed to go to a friend's house to play D&D. He lived on the same block I grew up on, on the opposite end of the same street (so a block away). I was able to get to that area, but then I got totally lost trying to find his house.

I once got lost for four hours trying to find a friend's house that I had been to on other occasions, before I finally called a cab and gave them the address.

AlexWelshman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2011, 4:47 pm

So in some of these AQ's when it says, "I am very good at knowing my way around cities", is it saying that of you do have a bad sense of direction then you could be on the spectrum or vice vrser? Because I know some people on the spectrum are excelengt @ keeping a map in their heads.

AlexWelshman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2011, 4:47 pm

So in some of these AQ's when it says, "I am very good at knowing my way around cities", is it saying that of you do have a bad sense of direction then you could be on the spectrum or vice vrser? Because I know some people on the spectrum are excelengt @ keeping a map in their heads.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 4:49 pm

I never get lost. I always remember the route I take to get somewhere and by reversing it, I can always find my way back. As an aside, I also can feel where magnetic north is most of the time. Anyone else do this?

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 5:00 pm

I'm pretty good at finding my way back once I've been somewhere once. The first time, though, is usually a disaster. When I first cycled from my house to my grandmother's place (60 kilometers) it took me six hours. Now it takes me three. I got lost multiple times despite having maps (they simply weren't detailed enough) and I was forced to ask for help more than once.

I am also really bad at explaining how to get somewhere to someone else. I overexplain by a fair bit and I often find it difficult to put my mental memory of how to get from one place to somewhere else in words (strangely enough, routes are pretty much the only thing in which I am a visual thinker).

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 5:14 pm

I've never understood how most people can seem to find their way back to places... I'm horrible! :P

KinetiK
Raven
Raven

18 Aug 2011, 5:16 pm

My sense of direction is practically non-existent. If I don't have my GPS with me when I drive, 90% of the time I will get lost, even if its to a familiar place.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 5:20 pm

I get lost very easily even in the places I'm familiar with. I'm also bad at remembering or following verbal directions. I prefer to have a map or some sort of a scheme drawn for me. And I never know which way north is. :?

Ambiguity
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2011, 5:27 pm

Yes, however if I'm well prepared it's not an issue. Unless there's construction that is...

Like others here I can't handle verbal instructions. I need something visible, like a map or GPS when going to a new place. Even having gone there a couple times as a passenger isn't adequate; I need to experience it myself repeatedly.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 Aug 2011, 5:29 pm

I'm pretty hopeless the very first time I visit a place and always doubtful that I'll remember enough details to get there easily on subsequent visits, yet it's always easy. I couldn't explain afterwards in any detail how to get there to someone else, but once I'm on my way again it all drops into place.
I find the same thing when coming back from a place. It might be the first time I've ever been there, but I never have confusions about the route back. I don't even think about it in any detail; it just seems to replay itself automatically.

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2011, 5:49 pm

I was once outside of Paris wandering, as you do just for the hell of it and eventually came to somewhere near Meaux about 50km away and reached the top of a village hill...walked down it and followed a track onto the canal and just carried on walking East. Problem was, foot travel in France has been made purposely awkward and after several long hours of walking with a 120lb backpack (in the middle of the hottest week of August) I found myself at the top of that hill in the village of the damned again having effectively walked just 50 feet.

It is almost like people in France purposely shove fences and canals (without bridges) and railway tracks (do you have any idea how scary it is running down one of those with a TVG close behind at 200mph is??!) in a hikers way just to be awkward lol

It wouldn't happen in England, you can walk from John O'Groats to Lands End if you wanted since public right of way laws have existed for centuries, but I am rambling off the pun (and point, but I am sure you got that already lol)

I do not generally worry about getting lost, for me the discovery of new and interesting stories and places is just too great to pass up to chance with a map.

If I did ever carry a map I would never get lost, my Geo-spacial skills are exceptional...it is part of probably my greatest talent.

Artros wrote:
I am also really bad at explaining how to get somewhere to someone else. I overexplain by a fair bit and I often find it difficult to put my mental memory of how to get from one place to somewhere else in words (strangely enough, routes are pretty much the only thing in which I am a visual thinker).

I am really bad at this too since I am forced to think in words and put myself into the mind of another person, I generally just send them off in the general direction of where I know it is with a familiar landmark (like a pub) and tell them to ask someone else from that point onwards. This morning in fact someone asked me for directions to the disused quarry mountain bike range (the council had it converted specially to protect the local country paths otherwise churned up to crap and give riders somewhere of their own to go) and though I know exactly where it is I spent ages trying to figure out left from right lol

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lanc ... 781229.stm

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2011, 6:16 pm

Yes, I get lost easily. It happened to me yesterday, when I got on the wrong bus.....

When I got off the bus, I had no idea where I was. After I'd tried walking down streets in the direction of the place I was supposed to go (the bus driver pointed in the direction of where I said I was going), I got all turned around and spatially/directionally disoriented, and I couldn't find my way back to the bus stop.