Turn the radio down. I don't care if it's a sweet sound.

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

What do you think about music?
Waste of time that could be spent thinking. 19%  19%  [ 6 ]
Enjoy it. 81%  81%  [ 25 ]
Total votes : 31

TheBrain
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Sep 2011, 11:45 pm

I know that I've done a few poll questions lately and I apologize for that, but I am using this forum as a way of learning about what is just me and what is the ASD(like there's a difference).

Does anybody else hate music? I think it's redundant, illogical and encourages the worst in society. I'm talking about the popular music that you hear on the radio mostly. I occasionally enjoy classical music, but for the most part I don't want to hear any music at all. When I'm in the car I listen to talk radio or nothing at all. I think that music is just a way for people to turn their brains off. It makes it so they don't have to think about anything(just like most TV programs). Not to mention loud deep noises hurt my ears and high pitched noises "drive me crazy."

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2011, 11:53 pm

I find music a way that I can judge the passage of time, but find music that I can't control obnoxious.

AtticusKane
Toucan
Toucan

19 Sep 2011, 12:09 am

Well if bass hurts your ears and treble drives you crazy, it's no wonder you can't think when listening to modern music. Most people that listen to modern music aren't bothered by these things. For me personally, music does have a certain way of focusing my thoughts to a certain state of mind, or emotion, along with the lyrics, that inspire new thouts or associations and therefore new ideas. I would be lost without music. It's very important for me to be able to focus on certain feelings long enough to ponder about them and understand what it all means to me.

TheBrain
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2011, 12:16 am

I should correct that. Loud bass and very high pitched noises bother me, not all noises.

AtticusKane
Toucan
Toucan

19 Sep 2011, 12:33 am

Still I don't think it's a way to turn off your brain. It's only in how it's used, the context and the amount of attention the listener puts into it, that determines that. Sure, there's the people that listen to the same old crap all the time, and use it strictly for the feeling it gives - this approach diminishes it.

My theory is that music is actually the most complex form of communication - it uses math and sound to convey emotion, ideas, AND even physical sensation in the space of a couple minutes. You can lose yourself in it - getting you closer to your emotional core, and linking it back to the ideas you associate with the sounds.

KathySilverstein
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Sep 2011, 12:59 am

I absolutely love music, but only if it's music I like. I am very sensitive to forms of music I don't like, which includes, as you said, the vast majority of today's music. Most of today's music I hate with a burning passion, and don't understand how anyone can listen to it. But I must say, I am addicted to country music, and have it only basically at every waking moment where there is a radio nearby. I also love 60s pop. Basically ANY other kind of music can cause me to have a breakdown/meltdown, because it fries my brain. Especially rap. Just my 2 cents.

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 1:17 am

I don't know if you can alter the poll, but you should add a third option. I am not crazy about music, but it's good for background noise. That might just be me though.

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 1:33 am

I enjoy listening to music, when I am able to fully concentrate. I don't, however, like the concept of 'background music' and I find it very disturbing having to hear music that is not loud enough that I could concentrate listening to it.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 2:59 am

Sorry for the many quotations.

KathySilverstein wrote:
I absolutely love music, but only if it's music I like. I am very sensitive to forms of music I don't like, which includes, as you said, the vast majority of today's music. Most of today's music I hate with a burning passion, and don't understand how anyone can listen to it.

I agree 100%, but I hate most of today's pop music.

OddFinn wrote:
I enjoy listening to music, when I am able to fully concentrate. I don't, however, like the concept of 'background music' and I find it very disturbing having to hear music that is not loud enough that I could concentrate listening to it.

Same here. I either listen to music, or do something that requires thinking. If I do some repetitive/routine stuff, I can tolerate music that I like.

TheBrain wrote:
I know that I've done a few poll questions lately and I apologize for that, but I am using this forum as a way of learning about what is just me and what is the ASD(like there's a difference).

Does anybody else hate music? I think it's redundant, illogical and encourages the worst in society. I'm talking about the popular music that you hear on the radio mostly. I occasionally enjoy classical music, but for the most part I don't want to hear any music at all. When I'm in the car I listen to talk radio or nothing at all. I think that music is just a way for people to turn their brains off. It makes it so they don't have to think about anything(just like most TV programs). Not to mention loud deep noises hurt my ears and high pitched noises "drive me crazy."

Personally I prefer listening to music to any of today's TV programs. And I hate commercial radio listening in the background to bits. There's a problem with music that I don't like but I'm forced to listen, they stick in my mind just as easily as the one I do like. Also, there's a limit to the amount of music I can listen to for a given period of time, if I listen to too much music it literally drives me crazy, as my mind/ears are overwhelmed.

StuartN
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 3:41 am

OJani wrote:
Personally I prefer listening to music to any of today's TV programs. And I hate commercial radio listening in the background to bits.

I love music, both listening to it and playing an instrument. Some people say that drumming and rhythm games are excellent mood enhancers and brain-trainers.

Internet radio is a wonderful thing - so many stations, many of which have absolutely no talk or advertising content at all. It is really easy to find several stations that are appropriate for most moods or situations - I like to have music for work, which is nothing like the music I choose for pleasure.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 5:06 am

I enjoy listening to music and if I had to go a day without my music, I would die.

TheBrain
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2011, 9:36 am

I actually own an electric guitar. I like playing and composing music and writing songs, but I don't like listening to it. It's like sports; I enjoy playing all sports,but can't stand watching them on TV.

TheBrain
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Sep 2011, 9:53 am

OJani wrote:
I can tolerate music that I like.

I do agree when doing a mundane task, music is okay for focusing, but your right it ends up "stuck in my head."

RockDrummer616
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 11:28 am

TheBrain wrote:
I think that music is just a way for people to turn their brains off. It makes it so they don't have to think about anything(just like most TV programs).

Sometimes it can be very helpful to "turn your brain off" for a little while.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 12:28 pm

Oliver Sacks wrote a book about how humans experience music. He says that some people have "amusia," meaning that their brains can't appreciate music. To them, "a symphony sounds like the clattering of pots and pans." Even for those whose dislike of music is not as extreme, I think there are people for whom music just doesn't resonate. I know someone who can't stand to watch TV shows in which there is too much music, like "Cold Case," which is a detective show that uses some music to set the mood.

More here:
http://www.oliversacks.com/books/musicophilia/

young_god
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Sep 2011, 12:43 pm

I'm a music producer and I listen for long periods of time (2 hours or so before a break) to Drum and Bass, Hard Rock etc...

Most of the listening back is at quite a reasonable level, however, there is always
the 'Crank it right up to 11' periods, either for impressing clients or sometimes
just for a bit of perspective and your own enjoyment.

But......
When I go round somebody's house and they have the tv blasting out, it actually physically hurts my ears because of the frequencies.

The same with a 'bad sound system' in a club.

It has nothing to do with volume. I like it so loud that my trousers flap!
My hearing is average for my time of life - which means pretty good.

So, I love music and love it loud. But please turn down your TV when I visit.
It actually causes pain.

I thought maybe my diagnosis of being aspie was wrong.
But the sensitivity to sound thing answered a major question that has been
bugging me since I started making music.

I have the sensitivity to light thing as well.
Everyone thinks I'm a poser wearing my sunglasses.
But my eyes/brain are more sensitive to light than other people.
Light on an averagely sunny day can hurt my eyes.

I wonder sometimes if this extends to my other senses.
I can be massaged for 4 or 5 hours no problem ;-)
And I hate pain and am a total wimp with it.
So I guess it works both ways - gotta take the rough with the smooth.

;-)