Do I really have Asperger's? (REALLY important)

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Dokesi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Sep 2011, 7:02 pm

MrXxx wrote:
"Those are the main ones..."

This is what you need to understand. There are no main symptoms.

There are but a few categories, and subcategories. NO symptom is ANY more important than any other. Each one carries the exact same weight.

What you are actually doing (and this isn't meant to be offensive, just to help you understand more clearly), is falling prey to certain stereotypes. You need to understand that almost ALL the stereotypes and things that you've "heard" are very often dead wrong.

Look over the DSM criteria League Girl just posted (thanks League Girl!). You'll see that there are several symptoms that can be totally non-existent, yet even without them, you can still have Autism. You can be missing any one of them, or any of several of them, and still qualify.

Actually, I wasn't being stereotypical. It's because even my doctor suggested that I had AS because I lacked social skills, it's just the main thing that pops in everyone's head when they hear Asperger's and it's just how anyone can identify them. But thanks for telling me that I was misinformed :), it's better to fix my knowledge.
And I did the criteria, post is above.

Also, sorry if I am being too annoying, but I have one last question before I can be 100% sure. Most Aspies have somewhere in their families someone who has autistic traits, but why not me? It just seems weird, most of my family is very social and don't meet almost any symptom.

Thanks again guys for all the help :), I really appreciate it. Thanks especially to League_Girl and MrXxx, you guys helped me out a lot.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 7:06 pm

Dokesi wrote:
Also, sorry if I am being too annoying, but I have one last question before I can be 100% sure. Most Aspies have somewhere in their families someone who has autistic traits, but why not me? It just seems weird, most of my family is very social and don't meet almost any symptom.

I've also been diagnosed and am without doubt an aspie, but nobody in my family is autistic.

While it is linked strongly to families, its not the only thing its linked to. At this point, we don't know exactly how autism occurs, we just know that it seems to be at least partially genetic and have theories about it.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 7:09 pm

As I said, I'm not a doctor, but these things seem to me may very well be considered "clinically significant:"

Quote:
I tend to things waay too seriously. One of the biggest souvenirs of this...

The fact that you took what she told you so literally seems clinically significant to me.

Quote:
Whenever I speak, it's about the same subject over and over again

If this tendency interferes with making friends, or communicating with others fluidly, that might be clinically significant.

Quote:
Some times, I don't know what I did wrong. This happened very few times through out my life but sometimes, people would tell me that I did something wrong and I wouldn't know what it was.

If this really only happens infrequently, as you said, it's probably not clinically significant.

The thing is, we can tend to over-complicate analyzing our own symptoms, breaking them down into sub-sub-categories that really don't matter so much. If you only have one or two things that consistently "fit" clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning," those two things fit. It doesn't matter that you might have numerous other things going on that don't fit this sub category (out of the sub-sub categories you're applying to it).

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Last edited by MrXxx on 20 Sep 2011, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 7:16 pm

Dokesi wrote:

Actually, I wasn't being stereotypical. It's because even my doctor suggested that I had AS because I lacked social skills, it's just the main thing that pops in everyone's head when they hear Asperger's and it's just how anyone can identify them. But thanks for telling me that I was misinformed :), it's better to fix my knowledge.

Thanks again guys for all the help :), I really appreciate it. Thanks especially to League_Girl and MrXxx, you guys helped me out a lot.

You're not being annoying at all.

I wasn't implying that you were being stereotypical. I said you were "falling prey" to certain stereotypes. Those stereotypes I was referring to are things we hear all the time, not from each other, but from people who don't have Autism (even some professionals), who have a preconceived idea of what High Functioning Autism "looks like" to them. Most of those stereotypes involve the belief that certain symptoms MUST be present, otherwise it isn't Autism. That simply isn't true. There is no one symptom, or any particular group of symptoms that MUST be present. Proper diagnosis doesn't work that way.

It is a bit complex to figure out, but it looks to me like you're figuring it all out pretty quickly.

IMHO, if you keep looking over the criteria, and keep thinking more and more that you probably do have Autism, you probably DO have it.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 7:25 pm

Dokesi wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Someone asked for the criteria, here it is:

For Asperger's Syndrome.

http://www.autreat.com/dsm4-aspergers.html

(I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

(III) The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

(IV) There is no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

(V) There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

(VI) Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia."

(I)
(B) and (C). I guess I do qualify for it.
(II)
LOL, all of them. (A), (B), (C) and (D). I qualify for sure.
(III)
Don't know what they mean by "clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.". I always had one or two friends in my early years, some years, none. But I don't really know what they mean.
(IV)
I qualify for this, I spoke my first words at eight months.
(V)
Qualify for this too.
(VI)
I am sure I don't have any other psychological disorder. So I qualify.

Thank you for the list :)

-
But, perhaps if the DSM-5 will what has been proposed, perhaps you will not match the new criteria:

Autism Spectrum Disorder

Must meet criteria A, B, C, and D:

http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevision/Pa ... spx?rid=94

Quote:
A. Persistent deficits in social communication and social interaction across contexts, not accounted for by general developmental delays, and manifest by all 3 of the following:

1. Deficits in social-emotional reciprocity; ranging from abnormal social approach and failure of normal back and forth conversation through reduced sharing of interests, emotions, and affect and response to total lack of initiation of social interaction,

2. Deficits in nonverbal communicative behaviors used for social interaction; ranging from poorly integrated- verbal and nonverbal communication, through abnormalities in eye contact and body-language, or deficits in understanding and use of nonverbal communication, to total lack of facial expression or gestures.

3. Deficits in developing and maintaining relationships, appropriate to developmental level (beyond those with caregivers); ranging from difficulties adjusting behavior to suit different social contexts through difficulties in sharing imaginative play and in making friends to an apparent absence of interest in people

B. Restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, or activities as manifested by at least two of the following:

1. Stereotyped or repetitive speech, motor movements, or use of objects; (such as simple motor stereotypies, echolalia, repetitive use of objects, or idiosyncratic phrases).

2. Excessive adherence to routines, ritualized patterns of verbal or nonverbal behavior, or excessive resistance to change; (such as motoric rituals, insistence on same route or food, repetitive questioning or extreme distress at small changes).

3. Highly restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus; (such as strong attachment to or preoccupation with unusual objects, excessively circumscribed or perseverative interests).

4. Hyper-or hypo-reactivity to sensory input or unusual interest in sensory aspects of environment; (such as apparent indifference to pain/heat/cold, adverse response to specific sounds or textures, excessive smelling or touching of objects, fascination with lights or spinning objects).

C. Symptoms must be present in early childhood (but may not become fully manifest until social demands exceed limited capacities)

D. Symptoms together limit and impair everyday functioning.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 7:40 pm

Dokesi wrote:

Not really, people are not poor, at least not the place I came from. Sure there are some poor places but not much. But yeah, I guess they just don't get diagnosed :/. But the reason why I brought ethnicity is because Asperger's tend to be genetic and since I don't have family members, I would at least to have it in my genes from a far ancestor.

Note the "for European/North American/Oceania standards" - AFAIK, Morocco is more poor than any western european country; perhaps you don't notice that, because you are used to moroccan reality (an analogy - I live somewhere in Southern Europe and I have an income of 1000 euros/month - like 1.400 dolars/month; I consider myslef upper-middle class, but I suspect that the forum memeber from USA will consider me as "poor")

Quote:
And no, the eye contact is more of a counter argument, I don't have much difficulty with eye contact, surprisingly, I had long time ago but I don't do any more and that's a big thing IMO.

But you had problems with that, meaning that your "good" eye contact is not natural, but learned

Quote:
But what about being over emotional? When I was a baby, I cried all the time and if for example I see something at the mall that interests me, I would not leave until I get it and if not, I cried like a little b***h.

two words - "autistic meltdown" (search for it); I suspect that, with AS, you are thinking in some think "Dr. Spock-like", cold and unemotional, but this, if it is anything, is schizoid PD, not AS/autism.

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 7:45 pm

You sound Aspie to me. And even if it's rare among your folks, you can get it. Just as an example, I get a side-effect from Zoloft that only 6% of the people taking it get. That sounds rare to me, but I happen to be one of the 6%.

And, as someone else pointed out, we can't evaluate you anyway. Even if one of us was a professional, qualified to evaluate for Asperger's, we still couldn't do it without talking to you personally. And the one who did had better be a native speaker of your language.

You can lack a _lot_ of the symptoms and still be Aspie. Even if you do eye contact now, that isn't because you've gotten over it, it's because you learned, especially since you remember being bothered by it before you learned that you needed to do it to communicate well with people. But being Aspie doesn't mean you _can't_ learn, it just means that you have to work harder at it. And you did.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Sep 2011, 7:47 pm

OP: You're not alone, I've had some concerns too, because (for example) I can read facial expressions (at least in tests :D). However, basing on my mother's interview, I meet all the criteria of DSM-IV and ICD-10 (not sure about Gillbergs speech criteria though).

Thank you for this thread. You seem to be Aspie and it makes me more confident about my diagnosis.

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 8:28 pm

Yes I have found the OP and the replies to it very informative and helpful to my own situation. Thanks everybody

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 9:24 pm

Dokesi wrote:
Anyway, yeah, I do have many symptoms but those counter symptoms bug me alot, they're like the basic things you'd see on an Aspie, it's what others define Asperger's as, I don't know what kind of Aspie I am if I can recognize faces and sarcasm. Anyway, I would just like an explaination for those counter symptoms :)

First, you have to realize that the DSM describes how AS appears IN CHILDREN.

If you are past puberty, you have already begun to develop unconscious coping mechanisms and to develop some skills and abilities that an Aspergian child does not have. There are parts of the disorder that we are simply slow learners at (like facial recognition and nonverbal cues), then there are other areas in which we develop skill to about the level of a 17-22 year old and that's where we peak for life (I'm talking Executive Function skills here)

According to the DSM, someone with Asperger Syndrome is not supposed to have much of a sense of humor, but I made my living for 30 years as a radio disc jockey and won awards for character voice comedy commercials. In fact, it was that early childhood tendency to take things too literally that first taught me to avoid embarrassment by pretending I had done goofy things on purpose when I really hadn't - then I realized that doing goofy things intentionally made people laugh, and I had bupkiss social skills, so I couldn't make much conversation, but I could make the most of being a weirdo by acting like a weirdo. My mind was great with words (especially interpreting them literally when they weren't meant that way), so I could pull puns out of thin air. I developed a sense of humor to hide my autism. Voila! Occupation: Foole. :jester: Seems to have worked out for Dan Akroyd, too.

Don't misunderstand what you're reading when you look at that symptom list in the DSM and think 'that's not me' - when I first read the phrase 'may see lights or hear sounds others do not', I thought that meant hallucinations. Later, I recalled a conversation I had once in which I mentioned to some friends the sound that old-fashioned televisions made back in the 60s - a tiny, hi-pitched squeal that I could hear even when the volume was turned down. They all looked at me like I was nuts, but a friend who worked on electronics explained to me what that was, a specific part attached to the picture tube, supposedly only audible to dogs and mosquitoes. And all my life, I thought everybody was hearing that noise. Nope. I could cite other examples, but you get my drift...

So don't let what look like discrepancies confuse you. You very likely do have some of those Aspie behaviors you think you don't have, either because you haven't fully grasped what the technical jibber-jabber in the DSM actually means (Psychologists speak a different version of English than the rest of us), or because you've developed unconscious ways of masking that behavior over the years.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 9:52 pm

Just to add to the mix - you say no one in your family has it. Perhaps it is just that no one in your family has been diagnosed with it. Ask family members if any one in the family was considered 'strange'. Most people can tell stories of uncles or cousins that were not considered 'normal'. Most adults with Asperger's will probably go undiagnosed.

Sarcasm is a concept. Many Aspies are good at learning concepts especially if they have an interest in them.

Eye contact can be learned especially if reinforced strongly in early childhood.

And the lack of empathy thing is completely subjective. Some do, some don't and everything in between. That is why autism is called a spectrum. There is no hard and fast rules, only degrees.

I suspect that you have some concern about the bias that may surround your dx. By your responses you seem to not want to be stuck with this label. Many people in the West forget that bias against those with 'mental' labels can have a much harder time of it in other countries. If the label is bothering you - simply keep it to yourself. It is no one elses business. I do not believe any law in Morocco will force you to disclose your dx to anyone publically. (please correct me if I'm wrong.) If it is a matter of your family treating you differently, smother them with the positives. AS isn't all bad!

Best of luck to you.

Dokesi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Sep 2011, 10:37 pm

Tuttle wrote:
Dokesi wrote:

I've also been diagnosed and am without doubt an aspie, but nobody in my family is autistic.

While it is linked strongly to families, its not the only thing its linked to. At this point, we don't know exactly how autism occurs, we just know that it seems to be at least partially genetic and have theories about it.

Thank you, that is a bit comforting :). Maybe it's just a mutation in some gene and afterwards, our descendants will have higher changes of getting it.
Anyway, thanks :)

Dokesi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Sep 2011, 10:38 pm

MrXxx wrote:
As I said, I'm not a doctor, but these things seem to me may very well be considered "clinically significant:"

Quote:
I tend to things waay too seriously. One of the biggest souvenirs of this...

The fact that you took what she told you so literally seems clinically significant to me.

Quote:
Whenever I speak, it's about the same subject over and over again

If this tendency interferes with making friends, or communicating with others fluidly, that might be clinically significant.

Quote:
Some times, I don't know what I did wrong. This happened very few times through out my life but sometimes, people would tell me that I did something wrong and I wouldn't know what it was.

If this really only happens infrequently, as you said, it's probably not clinically significant.

The thing is, we can tend to over-complicate analyzing our own symptoms, breaking them down into sub-sub-categories that really don't matter so much. If you only have one or two things that consistently "fit" clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning," those two things fit. It doesn't matter that you might have numerous other things going on that don't fit this sub category (out of the sub-sub categories you're applying to it).

Thank you for the explications and clarifications MrXxx, I wish I could repay you, you helped me so much in this thread.
And yeah, I guess the most I go into symptoms and stuff, I get more convinced that I do have it.

Dokesi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Sep 2011, 10:44 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Dokesi wrote:

You're not being annoying at all.

I wasn't implying that you were being stereotypical. I said you were "falling prey" to certain stereotypes. Those stereotypes I was referring to are things we hear all the time, not from each other, but from people who don't have Autism (even some professionals), who have a preconceived idea of what High Functioning Autism "looks like" to them. Most of those stereotypes involve the belief that certain symptoms MUST be present, otherwise it isn't Autism. That simply isn't true. There is no one symptom, or any particular group of symptoms that MUST be present. Proper diagnosis doesn't work that way.

It is a bit complex to figure out, but it looks to me like you're figuring it all out pretty quickly.

IMHO, if you keep looking over the criteria, and keep thinking more and more that you probably do have Autism, you probably DO have it.

Yeah, thanks to you and other posters, I am figuring this out pretty fast. Also, thanks for clearing my misconception, I now know better than think that those things are necessary for someone to have AS.

Dokesi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Sep 2011, 10:48 pm

TPE2 wrote:
Dokesi wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Someone asked for the criteria, here it is:

For Asperger's Syndrome.

http://www.autreat.com/dsm4-aspergers.html

(I) Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:

(A) marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
(B) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
(C) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interest or achievements with other people, (e.g.. by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
(D) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

(II) Restricted repetitive & stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

(A) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
(B) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
(C) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g. hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
(D) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

(III) The disturbance causes clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

(IV) There is no clinically significant general delay in language (E.G. single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years)

(V) There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction) and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

(VI) Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia."

(I)
(B) and (C). I guess I do qualify for it.
(II)
LOL, all of them. (A), (B), (C) and (D). I qualify for sure.
(III)
Don't know what they mean by "clinically significant impairments in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.". I always had one or two friends in my early years, some years, none. But I don't really know what they mean.
(IV)
I qualify for this, I spoke my first words at eight months.
(V)
Qualify for this too.
(VI)
I am sure I don't have any other psychological disorder. So I qualify.

Thank you for the list :)

-
But, perhaps if the DSM-5 will what has been proposed, perhaps you will not match the new criteria:

Autism Spectrum Disorder

Must meet criteria A, B, C, and D:

http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevision/Pa ... spx?rid=94

Quote:
A. Persistent deficits in social communication and social interaction across contexts, not accounted for by general developmental delays, and manifest by all 3 of the following:

1. Deficits in social-emotional reciprocity; ranging from abnormal social approach and failure of normal back and forth conversation through reduced sharing of interests, emotions, and affect and response to total lack of initiation of social interaction,

2. Deficits in nonverbal communicative behaviors used for social interaction; ranging from poorly integrated- verbal and nonverbal communication, through abnormalities in eye contact and body-language, or deficits in understanding and use of nonverbal communication, to total lack of facial expression or gestures.

3. Deficits in developing and maintaining relationships, appropriate to developmental level (beyond those with caregivers); ranging from difficulties adjusting behavior to suit different social contexts through difficulties in sharing imaginative play and in making friends to an apparent absence of interest in people

B. Restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, or activities as manifested by at least two of the following:

1. Stereotyped or repetitive speech, motor movements, or use of objects; (such as simple motor stereotypies, echolalia, repetitive use of objects, or idiosyncratic phrases).

2. Excessive adherence to routines, ritualized patterns of verbal or nonverbal behavior, or excessive resistance to change; (such as motoric rituals, insistence on same route or food, repetitive questioning or extreme distress at small changes).

3. Highly restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus; (such as strong attachment to or preoccupation with unusual objects, excessively circumscribed or perseverative interests).

4. Hyper-or hypo-reactivity to sensory input or unusual interest in sensory aspects of environment; (such as apparent indifference to pain/heat/cold, adverse response to specific sounds or textures, excessive smelling or touching of objects, fascination with lights or spinning objects).

C. Symptoms must be present in early childhood (but may not become fully manifest until social demands exceed limited capacities)

D. Symptoms together limit and impair everyday functioning.

I actually don't qualify for all the things in the new criteria :/, could I still have it if I don't qualify for all?

Dokesi
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Sep 2011, 10:58 pm

TPE2 wrote:
Dokesi wrote:

Not really, people are not poor, at least not the place I came from. Sure there are some poor places but not much. But yeah, I guess they just don't get diagnosed :/. But the reason why I brought ethnicity is because Asperger's tend to be genetic and since I don't have family members, I would at least to have it in my genes from a far ancestor.

Note the "for European/North American/Oceania standards" - AFAIK, Morocco is more poor than any western european country; perhaps you don't notice that, because you are used to moroccan reality (an analogy - I live somewhere in Southern Europe and I have an income of 1000 euros/month - like 1.400 dolars/month; I consider myslef upper-middle class, but I suspect that the forum memeber from USA will consider me as "poor")

Quote:
And no, the eye contact is more of a counter argument, I don't have much difficulty with eye contact, surprisingly, I had long time ago but I don't do any more and that's a big thing IMO.

But you had problems with that, meaning that your "good" eye contact is not natural, but learned

Quote:
But what about being over emotional? When I was a baby, I cried all the time and if for example I see something at the mall that interests me, I would not leave until I get it and if not, I cried like a little b***h.

two words - "autistic meltdown" (search for it); I suspect that, with AS, you are thinking in some think "Dr. Spock-like", cold and unemotional, but this, if it is anything, is schizoid PD, not AS/autism.

For your first statement. No, not really. I currently live in Canada, I moved here exactly 3 years ago, sorry I forgot to precise that. Anyway, if I compare living here and there, I don't find much difference at all.

For eye contact, yeah, I guess so :/. I guess I just learned.

For the over emotional thing.. Actually, yeah, I had so much melt downs before, like so much. But I obviously can control myself. I guess I get like one in a year now.