Aspergers and the appearance of you compared to family

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2006, 11:57 pm

There is something i've been wondering about this for a while.
Does it really have to do with AS that you look differently ?
Here is a descritption of me compared to my brothers.

Me: 1.83 74 kilos with thin arms and a small build.
Brother1: 1.96 120 kilos with a way bigger build than average and arms in wich mine fit 3 times.
Brother2: 2.00 115 kilos with also a big build and arms in wich mine fit about 3 times.

Both of them also are able to build muscles by working out extremely fast.
On the other hands if i work out for 4-6 months only my chest seems to see much effect of it.
My arms did not get any thicker.

Now to my cousins.

18 years old cousin has much broader shoulders than me and much thicker muscular arms.
He does get some workout in his arm from lifting stuff.

15 years old cousin now hes tiny compared to me.
He never works out or anything like that.
Yet even tho hes way smaller he has thicker arms with alot of muscles.

Could it be that including looking younger in the face, it could also be that i have the build of someone much younger ?
Verry curious if this could be related to my AS.
Ofcourse i know length has nothing to do with it.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 12:25 am

I am also much weaker than my brothers, although I have also been diagnosed with C.H.A.R.G.E. syndrome, which means I have the upper body strength of a pillow. I am, however, slightly taller than my brothers, but that's not saying much.

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 12:26 am

I doubt it. I look very much like my mother (both face and body size/type) and she doesn't have it. It does mostly come from her side of the family though.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 12:46 am

I'm 5 ft 3 and I weigh 176 Lbs, and I look like I'm from England.

My Mom is 5 ft 1, and she weighs 145 Lbs and she looks Canadian.

My Dad's 5 ft 7, and he weighs 143 Lbs and he looks Canadian.

My Sister's 5 ft 6, and she weighs 135 Lbs and she looks Canadian.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 12:56 am

At the risk of sounding dumb exactly what do Canadians look like? I thought they were much like Americans and therefore could look any number of ways based on mixed ethnicities.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 12:58 am

Canadians do look pretty much like Americans.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 1:02 am

For the most part I think I look like the rest of the family. Except both parents have olive tan complexions and I am quite fair skinned. One thing interesting though is myself as well as almost all of my cousins were born with the big square heads. I think I read somewhere before that is common in autism. I mean some of our baby pictures are plain scary. We all looked top heavy. Hats never have fit me right either.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 1:06 am

I, too, have a big head. In fact, back in sixth grade, one of my NT friends told me, "Werbert, you have a big head." I think that's when I first realized that my head was unusually large.

Of course, it's only big when compared to the rest of my body. It's probably a normal-sized head on a small body.

Cherokee
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Sep 2006, 1:21 am

I don’t really see what appearance has to do with autism. But I’ve been told before that I look like a 12 year old (but this could be because I ware baggy close). Also something strange about me is that I completely stopped growing taller at 12, and I’ve got a slight dip in my head like it didn’t close up all the way.

Kamex
Raven
Raven

08 Sep 2006, 1:37 am

I think someone who has AS would end up looking more pale simply because of their lifestyle. Same with weak muscles. So yes, in a way, it does show up physically. Carrying a different neutral facial expression could affect appearence as well.

From what I understand, the nerd stereotype originated from the spectrum. I wonder if there's some similarities between the appearence of the two as well as personality.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 2:16 am

I cant contribute,as I dont have a DX yet,but I sure look different then the rest of my family.

What I was wondering is...how does this fit with the information that AS is "male brain" and influenced by testostone?It would account for a larger number of "tomboy" female aspies?but doesnt explain why the males would be less muscular since testostone promotes muscle building....anyone who can explain this for me?(I am a female with alot of male traits and build muscle easily,always been very physical though I hate all sports)

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 3:44 am

Well I can't compare my physical appearance to my siblings because they're males. However, I think all three of us (me and my two bro's) have trouble developing muscle tone and putting on weight. My two brothers are around 6' tall
I think I've inherited my dad's skinny legs & arms and my mums short upper body (complete with pot belly :oops: ) .
Even my voice sounds the same as my mums. When I answer the phone people think I'm mum.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 6:58 am

Some aspects of my appearance correspond to family members -- I'm recognizable as family -- but some greatly diverge. The ones that diverge, diverge in a direction where there's actually a whole lot of people who look like they could be my blood relatives. That's because there's apparently something genetic that causes that particular appearance, plus often autism, plus some other stuff. So in a way I look like a member of two families: my blood family, and everyone else who has that particular genetic blip.

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 7:54 am

Ticker wrote:
At the risk of sounding dumb exactly what do Canadians look like? I thought they were much like Americans and therefore could look any number of ways based on mixed ethnicities.

My avatar is a pic of me, so that's what Canadians look like. :wink:

Bart21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 9:29 am

Thanx for your input guys.
I actually weighed this morning and saw i'm only 70 kilos now :oops:
Time to hit the gym again lol.
Guess it has to do with me as a person, instead of it being an AS trait.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2006, 9:50 am

The way you look is not related to AS! Why would it be? :x

If it was, aspies wouldn't look so diverse.. :roll: