Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Basagu
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2011, 11:45 am

I`ve read a lot about getting diagnosed, but i`ve been wondering, what is the best age to get an accurate diagnosis? Arent the chances bigger to get a wrong diagnosis when you`re older, because you know the symptoms and stuff?

Also, are there specific ages at which AS/PDD-NOS/Etc. are most obvious?

Thanks for reading/helping!

(PS: if there is already a thread like this feel free to ignore/delete this one)

Dgosling
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Sep 2011, 11:48 am

I got diagnosed at age 12 and it has helped me.

I think the best time to get diagnosed is when your young like 10.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 2:40 pm

Redacted.

Last edited by Willard on 01 Oct 2011, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 2:50 pm

It's best to get diagnosed as a child.

Neotokyomushroom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Sep 2011, 2:58 pm

The chances of wrong diagnosis rise in the adult years but I received my diagnosis at age 36.

The major factors were IQ tests from my youth, school records and the testimony of my parent.

Any of these will help in receiving an accurate diagnosis, just be prepared for a possibly unexpected result.

Beelzerius
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Sep 2011, 3:19 pm

Diagnose as early as possible but keep this in mind:

Its easy to diagnose a child. You dont have to be a psychologist to know that a totally introverted kid, with bad motor movements, and special interests has aspergers. In fact, i think many just totally get a wrong diagnosis and some even do google or self diagnosis thinking that 1, 2 or 3 symptoms such as a special interest, a bit anti social behavior, or no eye contact makes you a asperger.

I think the age of 12 is ideal (where all parts of the brain are already developed good enough such as formal thinking etc etc)

To be able diagnose a adult requires true talent. Now, its true that as an adult its harder to diagnose since they are already somehow adapted, sometimes just in a superficial way, and other times they really do become social, in this case you shouldnt get a diagnosis unless you think you are really helpless.

The diagnosis itself, if you think you have all symptoms, and really all of them or at least extreme difficulties reading facial expressions, disorientation, repetitive behavior patterns, then i say you really have autism, especially when you lack empathy.

Sometimes autism can be confused with borderline, ADHD or even sadism.

I just know one thing: I hate autism

Basagu
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2011, 3:26 pm

Beelzerius wrote:
Diagnose as early as possible but keep this in mind:...

I guess its also best to get diagnosed with McDD early on, or any form of autism for that sake?

Thanks for all the answers so far people, really helped me sooth my mind! (I had an argue with myself about when people should get diagnosed, makes no sense at all...)

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 4:43 pm

Redacted.

Last edited by Willard on 01 Oct 2011, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mango_prom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Sep 2011, 5:01 pm

Basagu wrote:
I`ve read a lot about getting diagnosed, but i`ve been wondering, what is the best age to get an accurate diagnosis? Arent the chances bigger to get a wrong diagnosis when you`re older, because you know the symptoms and stuff?

How do you define 'accurate diagnosis'? Would you also accept it if you're told you don't have AS at all? Just askin'...

Besides that, properly trained professionals should be able to deal with diagnosing autism pretty much regardless of age.

Hyram_Inesh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Sep 2011, 5:11 pm

I'm still not sure how to go about getting diagnosed either. I'm pretty anxious at this point. I'm 21 (too old?) now, not sure if that means anything.

mango_prom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Sep 2011, 5:16 pm

Hyram_Inesh wrote:
I'm still not sure how to go about getting diagnosed either. I'm pretty anxious at this point. I'm 21 (too old?) now, not sure if that means anything.

I was diagnosed at 21, too. No reason to be anxious. If it bothers you whether you have AS or not, just do it.

Tambourine-Man
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 5:17 pm

I was diagnosed at 24, but my doctor inquired heavily about mupy childhood.

Australien
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Sep 2011, 5:47 pm

As a child, young enough that the other children have not bullied the subject into suppressing their true and natural personality (the coping mechanisms Willard refers to), old enough that they have had a chance to develop both that personality and the ability to express it. It may have to be earlier if there are issues with delayed speech (usually classic Autism) or sensory perception/processing.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 6:58 pm

Another issue in diagnosing adults is natural maturation. No one acts the same in adulthood as they did as a child. Many diagnosticians only really know how autism typically looks in children, not how it often evolves as they enter adulthood.

Furthermore, there are a number of adult-onset conditions such as schizophrenia, brain injury, etc that can resemble autism in some cases. That's why many diagnosticians assessing adults for autism place such a focus on childhood records, to prove that the condition is not adult-onset.