Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

alexi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2011, 3:10 pm

I am considering going back to uni next year to do a postgraduate (research) degree. Doing my first degree was HORRIFYING! I had no diagnosis so no access to disability services and it truly was an awful experience. I was constantly late handing things in, poor attendance, couldn't do presentations, misinterpreted assignments over and over, terrified of new places,people and no routine, and was completely disconnected from both the teachers and students. I was drowning in overwhelm for years.

I have an appointment with disability services to see how things can be different this time. But I am really confused by what they could possibly offer that would help. What am I even asking for? Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2011, 4:36 pm

(The following answer only applies if you are in the UK.)

When I was at uni, I had a personal assistant funded by DSA. He came to my flat in the mornings to prod me into action, then accompanied in lectures and labs. Unlike a notetaker, he didn't really do anything besides provide moral support, but that support was invaluable. Lab sessions were 3 hours long, 60 people in the room at once, everybody talking, making noise, clanking bottles etc. Having the PA kept me anchored and stopped situations from spiralling out of control.

Uni can provide all kinds of support, from hardware and software to notetakers and travel expenses. It all depends on how your disability effects you and what you would benefit from.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 5:09 pm

So maybe, a personal assistant or job coach as Guineapigged has had good experience with.

Or, the thing with papers, which in my college courses, I got burned again and again and again on. The professor says he or she wants a creative paper, wants your original thoughts. Well, they do weakly, they're not against your creative thoughts. But what they really want is a formal paper (just not so formal that it's pointless). And I have a heck of a time feeling out these unstated norms.

Or maybe, a less distracting place to take tests of your own choosing?

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2011, 5:29 pm

From my understanding a list of possible adjustments people could get would include:

Being able to type or dictate exam responses to a notetaker
Extra time in exams and assignments if needed
Getting to take exams in a smaller room with less people and noise
Possible modifications to group work

I know you are not wanting to do post-grad by coursework so some of these may not be relevant, but research degrees often have some course work modules as well. You may also be able to get some concessions to how you present your paper at the end of the degree.

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge