Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Artfuljin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Aug 2011, 9:44 am

anyway i am starting to feel really bad and guilty because ive been reading up on some disorders and i get the feeling i might actually be a schizoid or even a narsisus. I keep getting fightful thaughts that i am covering up for these disorders with the idea i have AS. is this normal for a person with AS? how can i truly find out what the hell is wrong with me? anyone who has AS ever fell this way before? help anyone i feel really bad

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 10:05 am

If I thought that, I'd probably start with: Why exactly do I think I might have schizoid pd or narcissistic pd?

Which of my traits do I think could be considered schizoid or narcissistic?

How are the criteria schizoid and narcissistic pd and the summaries of how people with these disorders behave actually meant? You know how AS criteria say "failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level", but unless you have more knowledge on Asperger's you can't know exactly what that criterion means (and what it doesn't mean to say) just from reading it.

If I can get the answer to something that is bothering me down in a logical and factual way, it helps a little.

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 4:29 pm

It's common for people who read up on psych disorders to think that they have these disorders themselves. However, you have to keep in mind that in order to have one of these disorders, they need to be seriously affecting your life to the point where it impacts everything you do.

For example, I was recently diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, one that many people say they have. The difference between me and them is that I have difficulty controlling my worries and obsessions. I am on medical leave from school because I can't stand being ranked against other people and was having difficulty controlling an obsession. I ended cutting myself over this obsession and nearly went to the hospital. I will have periods of depression from time to time where I can't get out of bed and cry the whole day.

If something is not having a huge impact on your life, you likely don't have it.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

whiterat
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2011, 3:05 am

Have you talked this out with someone you trust? I find that if I feel guilty about myself in this sort of situation and someone assures me that it's not the case, it helps.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 4:03 am

Artfuljin wrote:
anyway i am starting to feel really bad and guilty because ive been reading up on some disorders and i get the feeling i might actually be a schizoid or even a narsisus. I keep getting fightful thaughts that i am covering up for these disorders with the idea i have AS. is this normal for a person with AS? how can i truly find out what the hell is wrong with me? anyone who has AS ever fell this way before? help anyone i feel really bad

you say "help me", you say "something's wrong with me", you say "i feel really bad".... That's as far from NPD as you can get. Even in a very bright lucid moment of self consciousness, i doubt any of them feel anything other than pride for who they are.
I don't know enough about schizoid PD to reassure you on this one, but NPD, nope.

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Oct 2011, 11:02 am

Ediself is right- You wouldn't feel really bad or be guilt tripping with NDP at least. You'd blame everyone else for everything that's wrong because you're perfect in your own eyes, there's no room for feeling bad like that with NDP.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2011, 2:38 pm

Ditto on every comment so far.

I was lucky (I guess), in that I looked into all the other disorders long before I knew anything about AS. I had already been through all the "hey, that sounds a lot like me!" stuff with just about every other disorder you can think of, but eventually ruled them all out by learning just enough about them to know I didn't fit.

It's because of this that once I did finally start learning about AS, and my responses were much more positively "THAT is me!" than they had been for any other disorder, and not once did I ever think I didn't fit once I understood it fully, I had no problem telling professionals matter-of-factly, "I have Aspergers Syndrome."

If I had not already looked into so many other disorders, I'm certain I would have gone through exactly what you are now going through at some point.

It is perfectly normal. Go ahead and read up on the others. It isn't going to hurt. In the end, you'll probably understand AS better than you do now.

I wouldn't get too concerned over your doubts.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...