Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

DevGSL
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Oct 2011, 7:07 am

It's something that's been on my mind for a while. Since summer maybe?

I've been attending a 2-year college, and I'm nearly finished, but over these 2 years I've noticed something about my social skills. I'm not sure if they're just weak from being homeschooled for the last 3 years of high school (which was done to stabilize my education -- it's a long story, ask if you want to hear more), if I have social anxiety, or if I have AS. I just wanted to run a few things by you guys, who are much more knowledgeable on the subject than me.

Typing this out is kind of difficult, because in my thoughts I know exactly what I want to say, but its hard to get it out. This is often the case during social interactions too, except with text I can use the backspace key (and often do!). It's like I completely freeze up during conversation unless I'm with friends. Kind of selective mutism-ish? However, even if comfortable talking with friends, I tend to wonder if I've said or done something that is offensive without meaning to. Even this very post I'm afraid might somehow offend. Sometimes I find it difficult to read other people, and I think it's kind of difficult for people to read me. Just the other day, I met IRL with a girl I met online, thinking it would be good social practice, but I wound up dumbfounded, not knowing what to say, and generally feeling silly about the whole incident. Sometimes, I'm not sure how to, or if I should, express a certain emotion in words (or perhaps even in nonverbal). Flirting would be impossible. I don't know what else to say other than I feel like I'm socially awkward all the time. Anyway, there's some social things about me...

I have a cousin and a friend both diagnosed with AS, and I see a lot of similarities between me and them. I've always kind of thought of myself as 'different' from most people. I have an above-average intelligence, but I'm very humble about it, because I realize there are a lot of people that are much smarter than me, either in general or in other fields (i.e. we're good at our own things, but that doesn't make us "stupid" elsewhere -- "stupid" is being unwilling to learn).

I've taken some of the 'Autism Questionnaires' and most of those results pointed towards AS/HFA. e.g., my AQ was 35, E-Q was Extreme Type S, and so on.

I've been trying to see a psychologist about all this, but I don't have the time or money right now. I don't even know who to talk to or where to ask about that. I did have a psychology instructor that I liked and respected (and as far as I could tell, so did he), would it be crossing the line to ask him for counseling/sessions/recommendations/whatever?

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

08 Oct 2011, 4:04 pm

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt172380.html