I sometimes feel like a hunting predator

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2011, 2:54 pm

I'd always been obsessed with meat, but I recently (almost a year ago) decided to become a veggie. Sometimes, when I'm hungry, I start to think about hunting: about preparing traps, killing quickly and painlessly (because I don't want my prey to suffer) etc.

It's weird, because I love animals and I don't want to hurt them, that's why I became a veggie. But I'm afraid that I'm still subconsciously obsessed with meat. Sometimes it's really annoying. Does someone suffer like that? Is it just caused by my fight against my "brutal" nature?

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 3:12 pm

I have that happen at times. It's usually when I'm missing some nutrients that are plentiful in meat. I think it's possible that it's the same for you. Sorry about being short, I just had an argument and I'm feeling raw.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 3:25 pm

65536 wrote:
I'd always been obsessed with meat, but I recently (almost a year ago) decided to become a veggie. Sometimes, when I'm hungry, I start to think about hunting: about preparing traps, killing quickly and painlessly (because I don't want my prey to suffer) etc.

It's weird, because I love animals and I don't want to hurt them, that's why I became a veggie. But I'm afraid that I'm still subconsciously obsessed with meat. Sometimes it's really annoying. Does someone suffer like that? Is it just caused by my fight against my "brutal" nature?

Even though I gave up eating beef I still claim a steak burger from time to time. It's primal.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 3:29 pm

I eat meat but I could never kill an animal or even want to. I like them more than people.

The thought of hunting humans is interesting to me though. I love vampires.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 3:49 pm

hanyo wrote:
I eat meat but I could never kill an animal or even want to. I like them more than people.

The following is not meant to be mean or insulting, it is a genuine question: Do you realize that meat is dead animals?

I'm personally of the viewpoint that if a person wants to eat meat they should be willing to kill the animal it comes from. I don't eat meat for this reason. Everyone is entitled to their own viewpoint, this is just my one.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 3:56 pm

I was veggie for a about a year and I'm considering it again, but my obsession with meat is always there, too. Some people become veggies because they don't like meat, which is incomprehensible to me. I became a veggie because I took a dislike to the idea of eating slaughtered animals. However, I really love to eat meat and I think about hunting as well, for some weird reason.

Last edited by puddingmouse on 09 Oct 2011, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imcaptainkirk
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Oct 2011, 3:57 pm

I used to be a vegetarian until I watched an episode of Star Trek. In the episode Mr Spock said to someone, "In a strict scientific sense, Doctor, we all feed on death - even Vegetarians."

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 3:58 pm

LostAlien wrote:
hanyo wrote:

The following is not meant to be mean or insulting, it is a genuine question: Do you realize that meat is dead animals?

I'm personally of the viewpoint that if a person wants to eat meat they should be willing to kill the animal it comes from. I don't eat meat for this reason. Everyone is entitled to their own viewpoint, this is just my one.

I think he means he doesn't want to kill the animals himself (with his own hands, gun, knife, etc.)

I would feel too upset to murder the animals I ate unless they were suffering, but I eat meat because I believe that vegetarianism is discrimination against plants. I would feel bad about killing a plant I ate, too, but I can still garden with most plants because we just eat their leaves and fruits, etc.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 4:04 pm

LostAlien wrote:

Yes but it's just not the same to me. Going out and buying and eating an unidentifiable piece of meat that could be from anything doesn't bother me but if I had to look an animal in the eyes and kill it I just couldn't. I'd want to pet it or give it food.

I almost turned vegetarian once after seeing a cow's tongue in a supermarket. It looked like they just ripped it out of the cow's mouth, rinsed the blood off, and packed it up to sell. If I was at a pig roast there is no way I'd even be able to eat after seeing it's poor dead face looking at me.

It's kind of hard for me to be vegetarian now even if I wanted to try since I don't buy the groceries in my house. If I was buying all my own groceries it would be easier to stop or cut back a lot.

I have a friend that has chickens and don't know how she can eat chicken any more. If I had them as pets I couldn't.

Lucywlf
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2011, 4:04 pm

I suffer from anemia and was told by my doctor that the best iron source is red meat, so I eat meat.

I love animals and could never slaughter one, but then I am aware of where my meat comes from. Then again, I come from an area with lots of farms (small farms, not large livestock farms) and came to terms with the idea years ago. It's what humans do. I don't like the idea of animals being killed and their parts going to waste though.

One time years ago a neighbor had some chickens and their six year old asked if the fried chicken on their table came from real chickens. *facepalm* I thought about explaining how a chicken is prepared for cooking but didn't because that's not good dinner conversation.

Last edited by Lucywlf on 09 Oct 2011, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LostAlien
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 4:06 pm

diniesaur wrote:
LostAlien wrote:
hanyo wrote:

I think he means he doesn't want to kill the animals himself (with his own hands, gun, knife, etc.)

I would feel too upset to murder the animals I ate unless they were suffering, but I eat meat because I believe that vegetarianism is discrimination against plants. I would feel bad about killing a plant I ate, too, but I can still garden with most plants because we just eat their leaves and fruits, etc.

I have little problem eating and preparing fruit, vegetables and other edible non-animal things. I know that potato and other edible vegetables are seeds. So I do kill plants to eat but I feel unable to get a knife/gun/etc to kill an animal in a humane fashion, so I don't eat meat, poultry or fish because I feel unable to kill them personally. It could look silly to some but it's my current viewpoint.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 4:12 pm

diniesaur wrote:

I never really gardened much because my yard isn't good for it but I was very distressed when my landlord had four out of the five trees in my yard cut down and wasn't too happy when he got rid of all the nice pretty weeds that were in my yard either. I'd rather have an overgrown jungle in my yard than a barren sterile environment with dirt and barely any plants.

I saw a shirt like this once.

Valoyossa
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2011, 4:18 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Some people become veggies because they don't like meat, which is incomprehensible to me.

I am one of them. I hate meat since forever. When I was a child, I was forced (physically) to eat meat. One day I made a little rebel and I became a veggie. I was 10.
I can't stand this smell and taste. It stinks as hell. It's just horrible and makes me sick. Fish meat is much more worse. My senses of smell and taste are very sensitive, so they probably multiply this disgusting sensation.

Ofc, I love animals and I'm against brutal slaughtering. I'm always sad, when I read about animals abusing.
But if one day the scientists invented genetically engineered meat made in laboratory, I wouldn't eat it anyway. I wouldn't care if any animal would suffer or not. This taste is just unacceptable to me.

----
My Industrial Love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBo5K0ZQIEY

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2011, 5:26 pm

hanyo wrote:

I found this image fascinatingly funny.

Well, I don't want to eat animals, because they tend to have some form of consciousness (they have brain or brain-like structures), but I agree that our existence is based on death. I don't know if plants have consciousness, but I assume they don't.

However, there are some foods which we can eat "legally", for example fruits - they are designed to be eaten, because their seeds are often spread by feces (yeah, you can now go and s**t around in order to protect the life instead of killing it).